My latest carved-stone container, first time trying "featherstone" rock (went very well!)

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
This stuff is so rigid and its edges so sharp it reminds one of glass, it's also surprisingly-lightweight when you pick it up, at any rate that made me quite confident it'd be an easier-to-carve stone (like Scoria is, which is my fave rock for these) and sure enough I was able to do more 'contouring' (on the edge of the lip/rim of the pot) than any other I've done before, am very happy with this one :D

[unsure why but it's photographing in a way that makes it look smaller, maybe the black background? Was trying to be fancy there lol :p Put a bill for relative-comparison!]

20191217_153405.jpg

20191217_153429.jpg

20191217_153501.jpg

I did 3 primary/larger holes, and several smaller ones, not only will this give great drainage but it'll give ample opportunities for tie-down-wire positioning. All holes got a slight bevelling at their upper edge to help encourage drainage (however meaningless an amount that's helping!) One hole was made at the area that I messed-up going too-deep while carving the flooring and went-through or into a cavity on the bottom profile, am going to enlarge that hole a little just so it's super-clear where the thin/fragile part ends so there's less risk of any breakage!)

~~~~~~~~

Thanks for checking it out!! Also, hopefully it doesn't sound too tactless, however I'd LOVE to hear any rough guesstimates as to "Fair Market Value", obviously not "it's worth $5 to me because I don't like it" haha but am trying to get a rough idea of fair-pricing on it as my intention is to offer it in another thread (just arborist/not bonsai) as a donation type thing or at least am going to if I think I can fairly ask for $70-90+ for it, unsure I'd let it go for $35 but if it's worth closer to what I think an "MSRP" would be then it's definitely going to get gifted to a good cause!

Top Bottom