My Latest Indoor Greenhouse

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hey all,

Took a trip up to Meehans Miniatures in Maryland today and bought a decent sized tree. I took it home only to realize it was a little too tall for what I've got set up right now, so I did some tweaking and built another greenhouse. Took me a whole 45 minutes and cost me under $35. All I used was PVC, drop cloth, and tape. I sometimes use mylar to reflect light, but didn't this time as the mylar I have is too thin and I wanted to be able to somewhat see the trees and hold heat in. So here's what I did....

First I built my frame:
001-111.jpg

I then covered it in 2 mil drop cloth (2 mil holds in heat the best):
009-92.jpg

010-78.jpg

011-74.jpg

Cut out the top:
012-71.jpg

Covered the hole with plexiglass:
014-64.jpg

Added my trees and my light, and I'm ready to grow:
015-55.jpg

016-47.jpg

I'll end up adding a door and a couple more lights sometime in the next week, but this is at least a start. Thought I'd share it with you all to maybe spark some thoughts amongst other indoor growers.

And I'm sure I'll get plenty of nay-sayers that will question "Why I go to such effort", but hey, it's what I do and this is how I've been growing for years and nothing is going to change that :cool:

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I really like the setup pictures you've posted, Ryan. They inspired me to try my hand at a similar one, but I had problems dealing with fungus growth. I chalk that up to lack of air. Didn't you have a fan blowing around in one of your other little greenhouses?

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I really like the setup pictures you've posted, Ryan. They inspired me to try my hand at a similar one, but I had problems dealing with fungus growth. I chalk that up to lack of air. Didn't you have a fan blowing around in one of your other little greenhouses?

Thanks! I've actually never had a fan blowing in any of my setups. What I usually do is just leave the door to the setup open for a few hours to let new air move in, then seal it back up.

Humidity in this one is up to 80%.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Does your light just sit atop the PVC and plastic? Do you ever hove any heat issue from that?

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Does your light just sit atop the PVC and plastic? Do you ever hove any heat issue from that?

It's on top of the plexiglass, and the T5s never get too hot so heat isn't much of an issue.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Another nice on ryan ! Only problem I can foresee is eventually you will run out of indoors for your greenhouses ! ;)

ed

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks great. How many bulbs are in that light and what is the distance from the bulbs to the plants?

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Another nice on ryan ! Only problem I can foresee is eventually you will run out of indoors for your greenhouses ! ;)

ed

Isn't that the truth ;)

Looks great. How many bulbs are in that light and what is the distance from the bulbs to the plants?

This one's got 4 bulbs in it and the plants are about 5 inches away.

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Man, if the fuzz ever raids your house you'll be in handcuffs real quick... right up until they realize your growing ficus...

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Added shelving for the smaller stock and two more light fixtures for a total of 8 bulbs above this setup. Humidity is at 99% (according to the hygrometer).
006.JPG
007.JPG
009.JPG

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ryan, I just realized I was thinking of the fogger you had blowing into one of the enclosures. In my mind I guess I just associated it with increasing airflow more than increasing humidity.

Do you put your cuttings into the enclosures? I've had a hard time figuring out the best way to take cuttings of my different ficus. I've tried putting some in my enclosure, but I think they stayed too damp because they all began rotting. I think part of the problem (more so than the environment even) may have been that the original tree wasn't growing strongly enough to really have viable cuttings.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Ryan, I just realized I was thinking of the fogger you had blowing into one of the enclosures. In my mind I guess I just associated it with increasing airflow more than increasing humidity.

Do you put your cuttings into the enclosures? I've had a hard time figuring out the best way to take cuttings of my different ficus. I've tried putting some in my enclosure, but I think they stayed too damp because they all began rotting. I think part of the problem (more so than the environment even) may have been that the original tree wasn't growing strongly enough to really have viable cuttings.

I'll occasionally put my cuttings into a setup like this, but most of the time what I end up doing is just planting the cutting and sticking it inside a bag so that humidity is much stronger and it increases the chances of the cutting rooting.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Ryan, nice set up. :D

Have you checked out Gardens Unlimited in Ladysmith VA? They have some pretty nice larger ficus for what seemed like a good value.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hey Ryan, nice set up. :D

Have you checked out Gardens Unlimited in Ladysmith VA? They have some pretty nice larger ficus for what seemed like a good value.

Oooo I have not. I have no idea where Ladysmith is (I imagine down around Richmond), so I'll have to do some Googling to see what I can find about them.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I wonder how a schefflera would do in this setup....it is nice and warm and humid....

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Built another greenhouse for my biggest ficus that really has not been doing well at all lately. Added a warm mist humidifier and it's really warm and humid in there :cool:

001.JPG
007.JPG
004.jpg
006.JPG

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
And a third one built tonight. I need to find a way to cut the plexiglass, so I'll finish it up tomorrow night. I'll have 4 bulbs over this one.

001.JPG
005.JPG
008.JPG
009.JPG

And I got myself a new PVC pipe cutting tool:

004.JPG

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I think I'll use this last greenhouse to start some Ficus from seed so that they'll be ready come spring time. So if anyone is interested, I'll be able to sell some of these harder to find species.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Let me know when they've established and I'll take some off your hands.. It's not too far a drive and I could use some decent stock

Top Bottom