My leaves are gone!

jamesfern

Seedling
Reaction score
I am reasonably new to bonsai trees getting my tree at the start of 2020. Every winter I have the same problem with my tree's leaves falling off. This year, just like last all his leaves have almost fallen off. I don't think it's normal for him and I don't know what kind of bonsai he is. The bonsai is normally on my windowsill but in the winter he tends not to like it so I move him around the house, he's been away from the window, on the porch, and in the office but it doesn't make a difference. I think maybe I'm watering him too much but at the moment he has almost no leaves so I think I need to revive him. Hope someone can help so this doesn't happen next winter.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Picture or we cant help

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Welcome to the site!

In addition to photos of the tree, it would help us to know where you live, and where you are keeping your tree.

jamesfern

Seedling
Reaction score
I live in England, Gloucester and I keep the tree now on the windowsill.

Attachments

• IMG_20210106_141703313.jpg
    IMG_20210106_141703313.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 188

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
OOF. Im afraid its not looking good. Almost seems like boxwood to me, not too sure. Probably doesnt matter at this point. Scratch the bark a tiny bit with your finger nail to see if the cambium underneath is still green at all.

jamesfern

Seedling
Reaction score
It's a greeny grey and yes I thought it looked a bit like a boxwood. Ive been trying not to water it loo much because it's winter so just once a week but it always seems so dry.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I cant tell if its a ficus or a boxwood and it looks like all the bark has fallen off?
Also parts of it look fuzzy like there is a fungus.

I hate to say it but this looks like a goner to me.
If you decide to get another tree, try and find out what kind of tree it is and learn about what care it needs.
For example ficus and boxwood need very different winter protection.
Better yet if you want an indoor tree, just make sure to get a ficus

jamesfern

Seedling
Reaction score
ok thankyou so much i will see what happens in the spring but i will miss the tree and look out for a ficus next.

Tiki

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Pretty sure thats a Fukien Tea or was one. They dont do freezing temps and like to drop leaves every time you move them.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
ok thankyou so much i will see what happens in the spring but i will miss the tree and look out for a ficus next.
Also consider Chinese elm (Ulmus parvifolia), it can be kept evergreen or deciduous depending on if you bring it inside in autumn or not. And if you throw away this tree, keep the pot.

Aldingbonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would agree it's a fukien tea. I've also found them a tricky species.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would agree it's a fukien tea. I've also found them a tricky species.
I think it is fukien tea, based on the look of the trunk.
If James can confirm, when the leaves were green, there were small dots on leaves, then pretty sure it's fukien tea.

If it's fukien tea, try not to move it around. Find a good spot and let it settle down.

Btw, this is my mallsai from Walmart, entering year three. Minimum care, but pretty healthy.
(I read it here that many people say that fukien tea usually won't survive after two years, hopefully mine can be different.).

Attachments

• 20210107_145657.jpg
    20210107_145657.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 123

Aldingbonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If James can confirm, when the leaves were green, there were small dots on leaves, then pretty sure it's fukien tea.

If it's fukien tea, try not to move it around. Find a good spot and let it settle down.

Btw, this is my mallsai from Walmart, entering year three. Minimum care, but pretty healthy.
(I read it here that many people say that fukien tea usually won't survive after two years, hopefully mine can be different.).
Over 2 years definitely beats my record with this species! I agree I would try to avoid disturbance.
I had mine when I was just starting out too, now I am slightly more experienced I would get another if a good example came along.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Over 2 years definitely beats my record with this species! I agree I would try to avoid disturbance.
I had mine when I was just starting out too, now I am slightly more experienced I would get another if a good example came along.
Even though it's healthy as of now, in the past two years, the tree seems stays the same, did not grow bigger/thicker. (It does bloom and get long shoots which I trim away after the shoots get long enough)

brainfree

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I believe it's a Fukien Tea tree as well. I live in Canada. Stays outside in the summer and I keep it in a south facing window in the winter and it's doing just fine. Only water when the soil is dry. And I mist it every day.

Attachments

• 2021-01-02 20.40.42.jpg
    2021-01-02 20.40.42.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 98

Aldingbonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I believe it's a Fukien Tea tree as well. I live in Canada. Stays outside in the summer and I keep it in a south facing window in the winter and it's doing just fine. Only water when the soil is dry. And I mist it every day.
That sure looks healthy, good job.

jamesfern

Seedling
Reaction score

sorry I don't know if there was dots on it if it survives winter. If. I will leave it in the window sill all year around.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Since our discussion, this "more or less neglected" tree got my attention, I did some trimming and wiring, and moved it to a "better spot", and now just noticed it started to drop leaves. LoL

Maybe the beginning of the end of a FT tree? 😂

Top Bottom