My little bougainvillea in a hexagonal pot from mom

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Couple more.

These pictures, especially the first one show it much better :) Have you ever grown Bougainvillea before? Might have some good growing advice for you as we are in similar zones, not far away.

Grimmy

Reaction score
USDA Zone
These pictures, especially the first one show it much better :) Have you ever grown Bougainvillea before? Might have some good growing advice for you as we are in similar zones, not far away.

Grimmy
I have not, and would be thankful for any advice you have.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have not, and would be thankful for any advice you have.

Where we live they do great in full or partial sun provided they never dry out completely - not hard to do if you mix that fast draining with a little peat.
They grow fast when happy, ours grow so much in our short growing season they must get a lot of cutting back to get inside for the Winter.
They grow in that fashion once root bound, we leave ours root bound two to three years before we either trim of 1/2 inch all the way around and off the bottom of the roots, refilling with substrate using the same pot. If you up pot - don't go more then an inch in width and depth allowing them to get root bound quickly again :)
Green cuttings do not take and grow, hardwood cuttings have a decent success rate of 50 percent and up North that is very good.
Unless rinsing off pollen or whatever avoid foliar watering.
We fertilize in Spring, Summer prior to our two week hell hot spell, late Summer early Fall prior to chop and bring in.
That growth comes with being root bound and when it happens all will make sense to you, pushing growth with sun, nutrients, etc... is of no use and stresses them.
Once they do start that growth with minimal care as above you will be cutting it down from 4 foot wide and tall to 8 inches and have a two to three foot tall plant to take outside in the Spring - we cut a lot of that off, rinse and repeat.
Down the road when that happens you can force Bracts but until then trying that again will just stress it.
They are really great plants even up North, we just need to adjust and be patient as with most plants. :)

Good growing and PM if you want to call for details I have not covered! I field a LOT of calls being retired.

Grimmy

TooCoys

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I can't wait until mine gets to this point! Looks great!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, another year and a half gone by already? Time sure flies. There were a few spells where this guy dried out too much, and I was thinking it needed a repot. Looks like I was right. A trim and new better-draining soil and we're back in business.

I lifted it up a bit higher in the pot and straightened it out some, and I like where we're headed. Still not sure about overall styling.

2020-04-282.jpg
2020-04-283.jpg
2020-04-28.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looking back at the first picture, it's really cool to see how much the trunk has thickened in just a few seasons.

He's been looking a little unhappy recently, with some of the leaves getting brown on the ends. It seemed like the soil I used got compacted and wasn't taking water easily, and it dried out pretty quickly. That's my guess at least--I'm open to other suggestions.

I recently bought a bunch of soil from Bonsai Jack to try out, so I thought it was time for a repot. This is their organic universal bonsai soil.

I like the composition in this pot better, too. I'm most likely going to let it grow rank this season and decide on a shape in the spring next year. But again, I'm open to thoughts and opinions!

20210409_200759.jpg20210409_214837.jpg20210409_214903.jpg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I use the Bonsai Jack Inorganic, since I have a heavy hand in watering.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
He seems to like his new home, hanging out with a few azaleas I recently picked up, and the dwarf jade I've had since forever. Lots of new growth, and only the second time it's put out bracts since I've had it.

Now that the weather is nice enough, they'll graduate to the greenhouse, then outside.

20210428_134832.jpg20210428_133902.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wakeup from winter has been very slow this year. I'm concerned that it's sick. I repotted it less than a year ago, so I don't want to mess with it, but as you can see the roots have aggressively grown out of the pot.

Do I just leave it be and see what the summer brings? It put out a couple of bracts, but I see very few buds.

Attachments

• 20220521_103611.jpg
    20220521_103611.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 20220521_103622.jpg
    20220521_103622.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 20220521_103632.jpg
    20220521_103632.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 16

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
This plant is very weak. They are best repotted in the heat of the summer and only if they are healthy. If it was repotted less than a year ago, it wouldn't need it even if it was healthy. I would get rid of that humidity tray. Bougies are pretty tough but they will not tolerate being kept too wet, no need for that tray.

Top Bottom