My little Cotoneaster monster

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Cotoneasters are so much fun. I want a few more. Is this a single tree or fo you have two in the pot? Definite potential to be interesting.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice score Eddy! It should reward you well. I bought one back in May and it has developed so quick, with biweekly trimming. Here

liked it’s progression so much I bought another 1 month ago and it’s already back budding all over.

Mine is a little 1 gal though. Yours looks like a 3 gallon? Good size trunk then?

Atom#28

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Following. I have a little one I’m planning to collect in spring.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hideous 😂 nice trunk on that one!
It's a "rescue." Local neighborhood forum told of having some on her driveway to be picked up if anyone wanted one. ;)
Hope it lives. It might be interesting. Just stuck it in that pot a couple weeks ago.

???

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Most cotoneaster go through an ugly phase, but done right they are immensely rewarding.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Best thing is the small leaves and red berries and it is nearly impossible to kill. I potted two up late summer, root pruned by about 60-70%, and pruned foliage hard and they did fine. They are however prone to fire blight so be aware of that if it is a concern where you are. .

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Here's an "uppy" one.

May need larger wire. 😄
Needs growth. May need copious amount of fertilizer or beer.

cotoneaster upright.JPG

May also need larger pot to accommodate huge nebari.

o_O

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've read a bit about this species. I'm interested, but what, to you, makes them fun?

They are great beginner trees. Very forgiving of common mistakes. They have a pretty fast growth rate and they are predictable, one you observe them and learn how they grow out. This results in an easier time wiring and pruning along with confidence boosting to push the tree a little further. Here is a small progression of one I got my first year. In less than two seasons of growth you can see that it almost looks like a different plant altogether. https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/cotoneaster-progression.38257/

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
They are great beginner trees. Very forgiving of common mistakes. They have a pretty fast growth rate and they are predictable, one you observe them and learn how they grow out. This results in an easier time wiring and pruning along with confidence boosting to push the tree a little further. Here is a small progression of one I got my first year. In less than two seasons of growth you can see that it almost looks like a different plant altogether. https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/cotoneaster-progression.38257/

Cool thread. I bought two cotoneaster this fall on clearance for the steep price of $4 each. Wish I would have grabbed a few more! Looking forward to the growing season to start developing them.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b

Dilemma..... sorta.
I really want to get this in a blue pot that I have to show off the red berries.
BUT.... it's newly stuck in this from a recent acquisition.
BUT.... I was wanting to wait til spring.
BUT.... it is throwing new little leaves all over the place as of this week.
BUT.... I hear that cotoneaster is "bulletproof" and doesn't mind anything short of potting in rock salt.
BUT.... I'm not sure.

SO.....so I'm asking. Now or later? ???

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You live in a tropical climate. I'd say go for it.

Top Bottom