My little raintree

cascade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
This Brazilian raintree is app. 12 years old.I "found" it among other treematerial.It did not look too healthy and thus landed in my care.I planted it into pure rocks as I had just started bonsai and all the articles about soil were confusing to me.
Two years ago I eventually styled it as a flat top with an extending flat first branch and transplanted it into "good" bonsai soil.
The bark has started to exfoliate app.1 year ago.The tree will do that every 3 months or so.
Also,the trunk is showing signs of "flattening",something that is a characteristic of more mature trees.

-dorothy

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Now that one is a sweetie!
How tall is it?
Mom

cascade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
It is little less than 9 inches high.:D
..and it has a big brother.
Let me prep some pics and post them.
It is interesting since this little guy and his brother were both cuttings,both app.12 years old,one grown in the ground and the other grown in a container.

-dorothy

Jay Wilson

Shohin
Reaction score
I like it Dorothy, it looks very tree like. The difference in leaf colors really sets it off.
Could you share with us what is good soil in south Florida.
Thanks for sharing.

cascade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Here are both.The bigger raintree is in a "training" pot,thus the large size.

Here in South Florida I work with ceramic "training" pots because of stability and because of the heat.When it gets very hot I am able to cool down the containers faster than if I had to deal with mica or plastic pots.

-dorothy

agraham

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Both are beauties Dorothy.I like the smaller one much better though.As far as the size of the pot for the larger.....how much smaller would you go?The one it is in does not seem too big to me.

I too,am left wondering what were the "rocks" you originally planted the smaller one in and what is "good soil".

andy

cascade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I like it Dorothy, it looks very tree like. The difference in leaf colors really sets it off.
Could you share with us what is good soil in south Florida.
Thanks for sharing.

Jay,

it really depends on the tree.Ernie and I are using different soils depending on the species,the size,the age,wheather collected or not and the stage the tree is in regarding maturity.

Ernie has always used 1/8 to 3/16 rocks,lavarock and fir bark.(2-2-1)
I have used the same mix until I studied with Boon.

I am using now Boon's soilmix which is pummice,akadama,lava rock,a little grit and charcoal.I vary with the proportion of the components though.
Seems to work very good down here.

The monastery is now offering Boon's mix and you can purchase it premixed.

-dorothy

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Here are both.The bigger raintree is in a "training" pot,thus the large size.

Here in South Florida I work with ceramic "training" pots because of stability and because of the heat.When it gets very hot I am able to cool down the containers faster than if I had to deal with mica or plastic pots.

-dorothy

Dang I like them both!!!!!!
I like to overpot because of the heat as well!
Mom

Top Bottom