My little satsuki

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Very pretty. How is it that it’s in bloom now? Have you had it inside for the winter?
Do you know the cultivar? Lucky you if it continues to throw those beautiful solid pink selfs.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've often wished I could time my satsuki to bloom when I want them to. I imagine it takes all kinds of greenhouse tricks. Maybe not to get early but to delay blooming, which is what I'd want, to coincide with the local show.
This is a pretty flower, what type?

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice and simple blossom... Just the way I like it.

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very pretty. How is it that it’s in bloom now? Have you had it inside for the winter?
Do you know the cultivar? Lucky you if it continues to throw those beautiful solid pink selfs.

Iast year it only bloomed 3 flowers..most of the flower bulb died..

I kept it outside during late spring, summer and fall.. Inside during the winter beside South facing window...kept it dry not too dry (watering once a week and misting in between watering) for about 3/4 of the winter until three weeks ago... I increased watering/misting to 3 times a week....it just started to bloom like this.. Here's more updated photos..i need to figure out what pot to put it in.

The little guy beside it in the first photo is a cutting from last year... From a variety that I don't know...the two flower bud are swelling too..

IMG_20190306_072626.jpg
IMG_20190308_072741.jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Vivid flower color. Nice.
@JudyB
Somewhere I have an article or two, one is from appendix of R. Callahan's Satsuki Book that is now out of print on hours of chill required to set flowers and then force bloom for Satsuki. Basically, in autumn, chill until you see buds form, and have met the "magic" number of hours below 46F or 6 C. Then depending on whether it is a Kurume type or early, mid season, or late Satsuki, you have X number weeks to bloom after raising temperature over 60F days and daylength over 12 hours. Bingo, it blooms. Once you know the number of weeks for a specific cultivar, you can count back from the desired date, to know when to pull it out of cold storage.

Top Bottom