My lovely elm

TurtleSquisher

Yamadori
Reaction score
It actually has potential but you might want to do away with those high roots.
Wow I was just thinking that same thing this morning, as soon as he get a bit more suited in his new pot, I will. Just afraid of cutting that guy off too early.

My plan for this guy is to get a deep root system and have him on a lonesome rock with giant roots scaling down into the soil below.

You can definitely tell he's a guy huh 😆

Here's a better picture16452915042915137757778228598192.jpg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
You can snip those high roots off any time. Chinese elm roots sprout new shoots to make another tree. Even if you simply cut them and leave in the pot they will most likely start growing from the top end then separate the trees next time you repot.
Removing 1 or 2 roots from Chinese elm is extremely unlikely to affect the parent tree.

TurtleSquisher

Yamadori
Reaction score
You can snip those high roots off any time. Chinese elm roots sprout new shoots to make another tree. Even if you simply cut them and leave in the pot they will most likely start growing from the top end then separate the trees next time you repot.
Removing 1 or 2 roots from Chinese elm is extremely unlikely to affect the parent tree.
So interesting. I'm gonna wait until he's out of shock due to a recent pot change then snip those. I'll update this forum post each month with reports on what I do and how the tree is becoming.

Top Bottom