My Main Tree Purchase for the Year....JBP Advice Needed Please

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
DSC00678.JPG
Honestly would put in ground, grow 12 foot sacrifice at least one time and develop serious trunk to overcome long reach to branches😜. Bonsai pot is last thing needed for developing tree.

I disagree....I would ask for a photo of some examples....buuuttt..........it's you!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Just sent Jeremiah a request for 2 rolls of #8
I see you got the harness off the pot.

As much reduction of vigour applied this year and the potting up next Spring
I have to say that I question the thought of wiring this Fall.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just sent Jeremiah a request for 2 rolls of #8
I see you got the harness off the pot.

As much reduction of vigour applied this year and the potting up next Spring
I have to say that I question the thought of wiring this Fall.
You need copper wire of all sizes. Get a “starter kit”. That way, you’ll have some of every size, and then you can see what sizes you use the most.

For JBP, I use 14 and 16 the most. But, indeed, I use all sizes.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You need copper wire of all sizes. Get a “starter kit”. That way, you’ll have some of every size, and then you can see what sizes you use the most.

For JBP, I use 14 and 16 the most. But, indeed, I use all sizes.
I took inventory before I emailed him.
Within 1/2 hr he had replied with the total $37 including sh. Shipping tomorrow priority mail.
I have 2 coils of 14, 10, and a little more than 2 coils of 12 on hand.
I have some 16 or 18 but don’t use it as much.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I took inventory before I emailed him.
Within 1/2 hr he had replied with the total $37 including sh. Shipping tomorrow priority mail.
I have 2 coils of 14, 10, and a little more than 2 coils of 12 on hand.
I have some 16 or 18 but don’t use it as much.
When your JBP start getting refined, you’ll start using a LOT of 16. I use twice as much 16 as I do of all other sizes combined!

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I'm taking a look at it.....trying to figure out a plan.
Gonna get that copper on order very soon.
I think there are some spots that need needle thinning. I think for now I'm just removing any damaged needles.
Bud pics.
20201227_120836.jpg20201227_121528.jpg20201227_121549.jpg20201227_121622.jpg20201227_121703.jpg

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I have a question.... is it safe to apply bonide granular right after repotting?

And also.....I have 3 larger branches that I want remove in favor of smaller ones. When is the best time to to that?...considering the HBR job...?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Did you wire it last winter?

If not, it’s a shame. If you had, you could repot in the spring. But, since you repotted this spring, you’ll have to wait until next fall to wire.

Your tree is leggy, and it needs to get wired out to expose the woody parts of the branches to the sun. That will make them backbud.

That should be your top priority with this tree. I would not decandle it this summer unless it’s growing VERY strongly.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have a question.... is it safe to apply bonide granular right after repotting?

And also.....I have 3 larger branches that I want remove in favor of smaller ones. When is the best time to to that?...considering the HBR job...?
Fall.

You could probably put some Bonide on the side you did NOT bare root. There’s no feeder roots on the bare side to absorb it.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Did you wire it last winter?

If not, it’s a shame. If you had, you could repot in the spring. But, since you repotted this spring, you’ll have to wait until next fall to wire.

Your tree is leggy, and it needs to get wired out to expose the woody parts of the branches to the sun. That will make them backbud.

That should be your top priority with this tree. I would not decandle it this summer unless it’s growing VERY strongly.
The 3 branches I want to remove will open it up. Is it safe to do that now, you think?

Top Bottom