My mame JBP and early very hot spring

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Got this little 18 years old (documented!) as a birthday gift in September.
It was grown from seed by a local Japanese bonsai master; after he passed away, two other bonsaists took care of it. So I got it like you see in the picture, in need of shape and by the end of the Winter here.
But...
Suddenly weather has become summerlike, with daily temperatures around 90º fh for two weeks in a row, and I am afraid of leaving it fulltime under the scorching sun (it's unusually dry also, around 25 to 45 humidity); so besides watering it when needed (twice a day right now), should I move it to a shady spot in the yard?
Thanks in advance.
mame.jpg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Keep it outside, full sun, always. Japanese Black Pine can take the heat and the sun and the low humidity. If you move it into shady, cooler areas of your garden you may find that you do more harm than good.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Keep it outside, full sun, always. Japanese Black Pine can take the heat and the sun and the low humidity...

Thanks for your advice!
It IS scary though, Brazil's sun can be very, very damaging; but I guess it is the same in CA, so I will take a long and deep breath and leave it where it is.
:)

Reactions: GGB

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Full sun is best, they are remarkably sun tolerant.
But if you are not able to water frequently, that's a small container, maybe a little less sun.....
I would put it in full sun and find a way to keep it adequately hydrated.;):D:D:D:D

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Yes Japanese Black Pine gets no protection here all year long. If you put it in shade you will get leggy growth and may start to have problems with disease (like fungus) that you would not experience in a hot, dry environment. In fact, of the highest number of issues I hear about JBP, they seem most often related to root problems and over-watering or poorly draining soil, which is exacerbated by cold or rainy environments.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you are worried about the heat, keep the pot cool by shading it with a board, or wrapping a damp towel around it. Or place the tree on the ground in some grass.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
If you are worried about the heat, keep the pot cool by shading it with a board, or wrapping a damp towel around it.

Yeap, this is a real concern. Pots can become very hot after three or four hours of afternoon sun, good tips, thanks!

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yeap, this is a real concern. Pots can become very hot after three or four hours of afternoon sun, good tips, thanks!
You can nest these small pots inside a bigger one that is also filled with substrate.
Generally root temperatures remain fairly 'low' until the substrate dries, the the temp soars. Get a simple meat thermometer probe and stick it in the substrate among the roots (nearer the pot wall) and see how hot they are. Virtually every tree's roots will die at temperatures above 45C. It is best to keep them below 35C.

511-088.jpg

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It has been grown locally for the last 18 years so it should not have a problem handling the sun. I might check with the previous owner to see where it was kept though.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Nice little pine. I have a JBP very similar to it and it gets 99 with 106 real feel and it stays in the sun all day - no issue what so ever

Top Bottom