my naked trees.

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
A dwarf apple, a chojubai and a lovely beauty berry that may be getting a new pot next year, what do you think? Too close to berry color? It was hard to cut those off to do the cutbacks on this tree, but they were starting to get old anyway...View attachment 220061View attachment 220062View attachment 220063View attachment 220064View attachment 220065View attachment 220066View attachment 220061View attachment 220062View attachment 220063View attachment 220064View attachment 220065View attachment 220066
I think pro choice for the new beauty berry pot

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
I'd split that four trunker right in half and make two killer twin trunks rather than a so so three trunk. Removing just a tree to conform to a rule and ruining two good twin trunks would be a travesty.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wow, that twin hackberry is stunning! Great job with that. Really like the chojubai as well.

I go back and forth regarding the 4th trunk on the hornbeam group. I have no issue with the number 4 or the appearance of 4 trunks, but I do think it looks better without for a couple of reasons - (1) it makes the composition more asymmetrical and interesting, and (2) that small trunk just looks weak/undeveloped compared to the others. Maybe with time that could change and it could be more effective as part of the group. I think if you do remove it, the group might benefit if there is a way to lower some of the branching on the right side just a bit.

The beauty berry works with either pot, the contrast of the first is nice but the second seems to echo the berry color nicely. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Nice photography too :)
If that trunk had more movement towards front or back it would be easier to keep permanently, but it's too much in the same plane. I like the symmetrical-ness also I think that is what is finally drawing me to this. I do not think I would change the planting angle much at all if any. I've been working on developing that trunk more, but this is one of the slow growth KH. So it's not quick...
The second pot I think would reference the berry color out of berry season, and it's actually a nicer pot, so I'll probably try that next year.

Funny about what you say about the photos, my camera is finally starting to poop out, and I'm going to have to get a new one soon. The aperture priority selection now just makes blurry photos, and I've never liked the intelligent auto function, but that is what I had to use here. I need an easy to use P+S. that isn't a million $$.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'd split that four trunker right in half and make two killer twin trunks rather than a so so three trunk. Removing just a tree to conform to a rule and ruining two good twin trunks would be a travesty.
Hm, had not even thought about that idea.
I'm not removing for the 4 rule thing, it means little to me as I'll never show this tree in all probability. It just seems to be stronger without it in some way, and I think the reason for me now that I begin to talk it out is that all the trunks are in the same plane more or less. Without it, the top movement of the other three take that aspect out of the way mostly. I will look at the two twos.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I'm voting for the purple pot for the beauty berry. I have a little one, that will NEVER in a million years be as nice as yours, but I like the berries.

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
Wow nice spread Judy. Yes on the purple pot for the beauty berry. It will look awesome. Those hornbeams tho ?

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I really like them all, the beautyberry is so cool, but that ume stands out to me.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I did take a good look making that a 2x2. The base would not allow for that the way it's wrapped around trunk to trunk. And each 2 trunk would be very much lesser at the base that I don't see it being an option. I do agree that they would be nice twins, but I like the three version or the current 4 better than the visual that I see from splitting it up.
Thank you @Carol 83 even small plants can be awesome in flower and fruit, so enjoy what it is for what it is.
Those hornbeams tho ?
Yeah I feel like I should be in a 12 step program or something, I'm so attracted to them. Thanks for the new pot vote, I guess its pretty much a done deal.
but that ume stands out to me
I think it will bloom this year fingers crossed... Thanks Jimmy! How is that spruce doing?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I did take a good look making that a 2x2. The base would not allow for that the way it's wrapped around trunk to trunk. And each 2 trunk would be very much lesser at the base that I don't see it being an option. I do agree that they would be nice twins, but I like the three version or the current 4 better than the visual that I see from splitting it up.

Well, I'm glad you were able to chew it over and not go that route. For I do love the three trunk. I love the four trunk just because in time, that small one could become something more. But alas...I'm seeing 2D. You would have the first hand knowledge. I do see the appeal of the three.

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
touche' Martin!:)
Judy,

Didn't mean it like that!

Could it use a trunk in back, maybe, to add depth?

Or, could you pull the 4th trunk in and/or forward to move more with the flow from right to left of the overall planting?

Regards,
Martin

Reaction score
Judy, have you considered keeping that fourth trunk and tilting the entire tree a bit over to the left? I made a quick phone virt, hope you like it :)

Regarding the depth thing, maybe you could pull the mini trunk branches a little forward to induce more of a hidden view if you know what I mean and add some more visual weight to the backbranch on the tallest trunk (2nd pic). I love this tree and a 360 video would be awesome!

20181213_004211.png
20181213_010511.png

Thanks for showing the pics, making my day :)

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I like the tilting idea very much and would keep the fourth trunk.It will find its way!
Isn’t these types of Hornbeam finicky with bouncing back and healing over from such chopping and root disturbance as a trunk removal?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Judy,

Didn't mean it like that!

Could it use a trunk in back, maybe, to add depth?

Or, could you pull the 4th trunk in and/or forward to move more with the flow from right to left of the overall planting?

Regards,
Martin
Seriously, I think it’s a killer idea. Problem being it would have to be from this tree as they are all so different from each other from what I’ve seen in working with them. And this one is slow. So it would be a decade long if not more project. And alas, they are very locked into place or your idea for trunk 4 would be a good one, and a nice solution as well.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Judy, have you considered keeping that fourth trunk and tilting the entire tree a bit over to the left? I made a quick phone virt, hope you like it :)

Regarding the depth thing, maybe you could pull the mini trunk branches a little forward to induce more of a hidden view if you know what I mean and add some more visual weight to the backbranch on the tallest trunk (2nd pic). I love this tree and a 360 video would be awesome!

View attachment 220096
View attachment 220097

Thanks for showing the pics, making my day :)
I will try making a 360 for you soon. Then we will reconvene!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like the tilting idea very much and would keep the fourth trunk.It will find its way!
Isn’t these types of Hornbeam finicky with bouncing back and healing over from such chopping and root disturbance as a trunk removal?
If you have good after care, they do fine. You just have to watch them carefully and give bottom heat if they stall.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The more I look at it,I think the little fourth trunk balances out the whole trunkbase and makes the trunk on the other side with the roots that run in front look much nicer...like a big tree along the creek banks.
Awesome trees @JudyB !!

Top Bottom