my naked trees.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
They are not really easy plants, I have learned a couple things about them that have helped me keep them better.
I see you defoliated yours. I think I'm going to try that and see how it responds. Either way, it's probably going to go.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That dwarf apple and container is really cool.
Such great container and tree combinations!
They are all very nice bonsai.I too favor smaller trees.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I see you defoliated yours. I think I'm going to try that and see how it responds. Either way, it's probably going to go.
I found putting into a bigger container late summer is the only way to keep them happy. Big cutback late winter and back to a small container in spring.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That dwarf apple and container is really cool.
Such great container and tree combinations!
They are all very nice bonsai.I too favor smaller trees.
Thanks, I like the small ones too.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Cool stuff! I really like the Beauty Berry. I think my Goji is going on the block in spring. It's a handful to keep happy down here.
Developing mine a bit more...I have two. One for sure will go when further developed...the other, just also may go. It's a Neagari so...tht might have me give it a fighting chance to try to be patient. They just don't back bud for me. So...need to work with what it offers is my new direction.

Reactions: Vin

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think of the no even numbers and the rules in general as just that, generally inadvisable as in harder to work with. Any time you can spit in the face of rules that you can't do that, and say, "Oh yes I can...", you prove once again that bonsai is art, and there are almost no limits on what can be artful. And, Judy has good art.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Developing mine a bit more...I have two. One for sure will go when further developed...the other, just also may go. It's a Neagari so...tht might have me give it a fighting chance to try to be patient. They just don't back bud for me. So...need to work with what it offers is my new direction.
Have you cut back hard late winter?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
You have assembled a great collection Judy and getting better! The goji is something special. I really like what you did with the beautyberry.

As Brian mentioned you should consider entering the US Shohin Nationals. ;)

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The goji still needs some work for sure, not sure if anything is polished enough for this go round of the show...

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here's the subhirtella cherry after lots of editing and wiring. There is a lack of secondary branching at this point and it'll look better after it fills in, the top seems too tall for now, but that will change with more branching. It's been a long road for this one. A pic of as it was when I got it, in 2015, this year before the work and after. It's hard to do cutbacks on this one, as it takes a long time to develop, so you're cutting off a lot of time, and also cutting off blossoms! But you gotta do it, or it never gets there.

IMG_4651.jpgIMG_1081.jpgIMG_1114.jpgIMG_1115.jpgIMG_1116.jpg

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Absolutely amazing work. The dbl hackberry is my favorite. And aside from "rules" I Much prefer the tree with 3 trunks rather than four. The 4th trunk makes the composition surreal to my eye, kind of like one of those old Yes album covers by Dean. In any regard you do amazing work ... very inspiring.

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I always take photos of my more developed stuff in the winter to keep track of progress, and to study for winter and spring work. Thought I'd share these here.
First up are the Korean Hornbeams, yes I am considering removing the left smaller trunk on the 4 trunk one. A couple small Japanese maples next.View attachment 220054View attachment 220055View attachment 220056View attachment 220057View attachment 220058View attachment 220059View attachment 220060View attachment 220054View attachment 220055View attachment 220056View attachment 220057View attachment 220058View attachment 220059View attachment 220060
I’m just seeing this post for the first time. Thanks for all the photos of excellent trees! Have you made a decision on the four trunk hornbeam? I would remove the right trunk (I assume that’s what you’re calling the one covered by the towel, first post says ‘left trunk’:D). This would increase the asymmetry and visual interest. It would also give you more options for pot selection.
BTW, don’t turn your back on that ginkgo - looks like it might bite!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks @penumbra glad you like them, I think a lot of my trees have a sort of surreal vibe, naturalistic in ways, but also a bit of fantastical too. Sort of what I go for without thinking about it too hard.
@PiñonJ I have not decided yet, I may think to add a trunk actually, the airlayer that I took may be a candidate. Then again, I might just leave it alone. If I can't decide, I just leave it for another year. Hard to glue back on...:eek:

Here's a Mark Comstock Kiyohime maple that I just got a few days ago. Lots of fun to cutback and wire stuff like this... Once I get some lower buds, I may do more reduction of some of the heavier trunks.
IMG_1117.jpg

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Amazing trees @JudyB, your hornbeams are a true inspiration for me.
I love the beauty berry too, I think a deep yellow pot, almost like a true gold color would look good with it.
But at first glance, I did also like the purple.
I think either would be fine.
The purple is similar and goes with... while a yellow would compliment.
I think all your trees are outstandingly beautiful. What is the source story on the Hornbeams if you do not mind sharing?

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks @penumbra glad you like them, I think a lot of my trees have a sort of surreal vibe, naturalistic in ways, but also a bit of fantastical too. Sort of what I go for without thinking about it too hard.
@PiñonJ I have not decided yet, I may think to add a trunk actually, the airlayer that I took may be a candidate. Then again, I might just leave it alone. If I can't decide, I just leave it for another year. Hard to glue back on...:eek:

Here's a Mark Comstock Kiyohime maple that I just got a few days ago. Lots of fun to cutback and wire stuff like this... Once I get some lower buds, I may do more reduction of some of the heavier trunks.
View attachment 225243
Nice bones! I need to pick up another one of these (I do have one but want another...they're addictive!)

Top Bottom