my naked trees.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think all your trees are outstandingly beautiful. What is the source story on the Hornbeams if you do not mind sharing?
Thanks Vance, I do have threads on most if not all of these trees at least the hornbeams. I don't have enough time now but can link those tomorrow for you. I appreciate the kind words!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The goji still needs some work for sure, not sure if anything is polished enough for this go round of the show...

Yes ok I can understand that, but they are getting there. Maybe another pass and ready to go baby!

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thanks Vance, I do have threads on most if not all of these trees at least the hornbeams. I don't have enough time now but can link those tomorrow for you. I appreciate the kind words!
Thank You, I appreciate your efforts.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So the first one is a tree from Ryan Neil, purchased with the sale of several of my better trees, as when I first saw it it went right to my soul. I got that tree in 2016, I know Ryan got it from Mike Pollock as I found a blog of his with this tree. I've attached a couple photos of the tree as it was when received. I feel like I've made good progress on this tree with branch ramification and have moved the tree along to a higher level. It was certainly great material to work with, it did have a few health issues to begin with, and it was so pot bound I remember I almost broke the pot getting it out of there. A thread can be found on this tree here. https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/hornbeam-3.26406/
IMG_2014.jpgIMG_6764.jpgP1030381.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The second one is a small one I picked up from Frank Mihalic a couple years ago, it's in need of wiring and editing. I usually save my HB work for last on the winter wiring list. The third one is a clump that I got from Don Blackmond I think that was in 15 or 16. I have attached the first photos of it that he sent me when I bought it. It was an import originally from Korea. It is a very cool tree, the biggest problem with it is that all 4 trunks are so linear to each other that it's problematic. Hopefully at some point I'll find the one best solution, I'm still trying to figure that out. The 4th one is a tree that I got a year after that, it was not super strong, so I've done relatively little hard work on it. The structure is there, but in dire need of reworking, the inner part of the tree needs better interior buds. I will hopefully be able to do a strong cutback and restarting of this tree this season.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My twin Hackberry a chinese quince , a japanese quince that I'm working on getting more roots on the side of the root trunk, a ginkgo (that I wish I had not chopped I miss how it used to look) and an ugly crabapple that I'm trying to develop into something. I have some other stuff, but most of it is satsuki that have not finished dropping leaves, or stuff that is really in early stages.
View attachment 220072View attachment 220073View attachment 220074View attachment 220075View attachment 220076View attachment 220077View attachment 220072View attachment 220073View attachment 220074View attachment 220075View attachment 220076View attachment 220077
Almost didn't recognize your Ginkgo. Does it slip into a shohin now?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It always had HUGE leaves that I tried everything to reduce.... I figure I can get a small one with better leaf reduction qualities, and reproduce this in a better way.
I hope you find one. This...just...saddened me. But I guess a small stature tree as it was reduced to. Even more pronounced the large leaf size.

Top Bottom