my nandina

Ross

Shohin
Reaction score
Here is a picture of my nandina with green, red, and yellow leaves right now, and a cool picture I took a few days ago of a dragonfly sitting on an elm branch.

Attachments

• nandina.jpg
    nandina.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 378
  • dragonfly.jpg
    dragonfly.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 276

Ross

Shohin
Reaction score
Those red leaves and that pot is a brilliant combination! I wish you could get ketoi to photograph it.

Thanks Boondock. I only had two or three pots that were even the right size when I was potting it so the decision was pretty easy. Here's two more pics, the first from when it was big, and the second shows it in the front right after I had cut it down and repotted it.

Attachments

• nandina2.jpg
    nandina2.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 169
  • nandina3.jpg
    nandina3.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 199

Ross

Shohin
Reaction score
very cool Ross, what was the time-line between chopping and where it is on the first post?

I cut it down and repotted it early last spring, and I didn't repot it again this year, so right now it has been one year since I started on it. It grows differently than anything else I have so I'm still trying to figure it out. It grows very fast, and I've had to cut the top half of the foliage off a couple times in the last year to keep it a reasonable size. Here's a close up of the stump and then you can see it in the background completely red a month ago.

Attachments

• nandina4.jpg
    nandina4.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 129
  • nandina 5.jpg
    nandina 5.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 160

Ross

Shohin
Reaction score
Here's another picture from today.

Attachments

• nandina.jpg
    nandina.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 141

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I've heard they can be picky when their roots are messed with. Have you noticed that ...or any other peculiarities?

Ross

Shohin
Reaction score
I've heard they can be picky when their roots are messed with. Have you noticed that ...or any other peculiarities?

I'm pretty sure I totally bare-rooted it with a hose and cut off 1/2 to 3/4 of it's roots to get it into this pot, so I'd say it's roots can take some abuse. It doesn't really grow or heal like other plants though, so I am still kinda figuring it out right now.

Ross

Shohin
Reaction score
A picture after we got some rare snow here in Dallas.

Attachments

• Nandina.jpg
    Nandina.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 122

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I don't know why more people don't use Nandina for bonsai -- especially small ones. They come in all sorts of leaf sizes and are very tough, hardy plants. And, as you can see here, they have lovely fall and winter color. I had a Nandina forest before I moved here a few years ago, but it was too large and I gave it away. It was startling in the winter.

Yamadori

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The pot and nandina are a great match. Very nice looking. Fantastic color.

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like that, color is great!

Keep LOOkin Up!
Michael

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"I don't know why more people don't use Nandina for bonsai -- especially small ones"

Mostly because nice trunks with movement like this one are not all that common. For the most part, you get arrow straight, skinny multi trunked crappola at nurseries.:D To get a decent trunk, you have to look in older landscapes in older neighborhoods. Additionally, new growth on these tends to be very angular and upright and you have to deal with that.

By the way Ross, where'd you get the nice cedar elms?

Ross

Shohin
Reaction score
Thanks guys about the nandina. I'm still new to all this and appreciate the positive feedback.

RockM, I have four cedar elms, two I dug up myself and two I bought at an auction. Here's a picture of my smallest one right after I dug it up, and what it looks like now after I just repotted it.

Attachments

• cedar elm originally.jpg
    cedar elm originally.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 51
  • small cedar elm.jpg
    small cedar elm.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 75

Ross

Shohin
Reaction score
R.i.p.

While I was looking for another thread to update I came across this one from 2010 and realized that I never gave this nandina a proper Eulogy.

R.I.P Sweet Nandina, you were a pretty and forgiving tree who brought color to an otherwise green yard. Although you were not strong enough to withstand the large hail that pummeled you to death a couple years ago, your memory will live on, and images of you from better days will hopefully serve to inspire fellow B-Nutters to keep and develop more of your kind, ever protecting them from hail. Amen.

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Ross I'm sorry for your loss. But thankful for a piece of critical learning.

Ross

Shohin
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words. I was just joking really about the Eulogy, the killer hail storm happened a couple years ago, and truth be told, I learned firsthand about how bad hail can be, but it could happen again today and there isn't much I could do. When I'm up at work, I can't just take off to put my bonsai away, and if I could, I wouldn't be able to move most of them by myself anyways.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's the worst threat I have always had for my trees.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Any idea on the age of your former friend? Nandina grow all over place around here. I have a half dozen or so in and around the wild areas of my yard but nothing with a trunk like you had. Shame about its demise.

Ross

Shohin
Reaction score
Any idea on the age of your former friend? Nandina grow all over place around here. I have a half dozen or so in and around the wild areas of my yard but nothing with a trunk like you had. Shame about its demise.

This one came from my parents' front flower bed right before they moved houses. It had been there for a decade at least, maybe longer because that bed was put in around the late 80's when they ripped up a holly hedge.

Top Bottom