My Nellie's participation in the JBP Contest

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yes, that's the plan!!!
Now you are talking real space and time;). Have i mentioned the time it takes per pine/ year when they reach further developmental stages:eek: What a wonderful way to spend full time retirement!
Now the advantage to that many plus 200 more is the endless possibilities of choices, learning and experimental directions. How does one wire 150 pines for basic movement and keep it varied? Then we could consider the maples, the hornbeam, the persimmon, the zelkova, the cypress and the juniper. Oops, forgot the Chojubai, Olive and Wisteria. Why read about it when you can get your hands dirty.
I stopped planting seeds some time ago and I do fewer cuttings, now only for grafting purposes down the road!
My real goal has changed to sell enough trees each year so by the time i am seventy-five i will only be caring for my personal collection.
With advancing age will come some downsizing in space and time ( more naps)

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
... ...My real goal has changed to sell enough trees each year so by the time i am seventy-five i will only be caring for my personal collection.
With advancing age will come some downsizing in space and time ( more naps)
Which I wish you from the bottom of my heart, dear Frank!

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Some update, if you please... :)

On 23.08.2018 the pots with cut seedlings were removed from their individual bottle/greenhouse and left uncovered on the balcony.
After five days on 28.08.2018 the three pots were moved on the terrace again under dappled sun (shadecloth over them). There has been raining previous night and the temp has dropped, so I thought it was a favourable time to do this.
Up to the moment they are looking OK!

And two more interventions:
The two seedlings growing side by side as double trunk were removed, were tied with twine on their trunk bases, passed through a piece of plastic sheet and potted up in their own pot. No tap root cut.
One more seedling was treated in the same way.
Edit : The roots which are emerging higher on the base of the trunk are spread over the plastic sheet and the rest of them along with the taproot are growing under the plastic sheet.
Both are kept on the balcony away from direct sun.
Here they are in front of my grand daughter's animals :) Good thing is they are not interested in fresh vegetation :D
IMG_8352.JPG

Last edited:

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like that Αλεξάνδρα is getting saplings to grow.

Also, I want a toy horsie of that quality.
Good Day
Anthony

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some update, if you please... :)

On 23.08.2018 the pots with cut seedlings were removed from their individual bottle/greenhouse and left uncovered on the balcony.
After five days on 28.08.2018 the three pots were moved on the terrace again under dappled sun (shadecloth over them). There has been raining previous night and the temp has dropped, so I thought it was a favourable time to do this.
Up to the moment they are looking OK!

And two more interventions:
The two seedlings growing side by side as double trunk were removed, were tied with twine on their trunk bases, passed through a piece of plastic sheet and potted up in their own pot. No tap root cut.
One more seedling was treated in the same way.
Edit : The roots which are emerging higher on the base of the trunk are spread over the plastic sheet and the rest of them along with the taproot are growing under the plastic sheet.
Both are kept on the balcony away from direct sun.
Here they are in front of my grand daughter's animals :) Good thing is they are not interested in fresh vegetation :D
View attachment 208010
I like that .
Thị Thoại

Daniel Camilleri

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Any updates on the seedlings Alexandra? I'm curious, as a fellow Mediterenean dweller and since you mentioned Aleppo pines in one of your posts, why didn't you do Aleppo seedlings too? I'm trying out seeds, seedlings, and cuttings next year and was thinkng of doing both JBP and Aleppos.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Coming spring I'll be doing Aleppo pines.
I wonder why you guys even take the time to germinate seeds, when you can just pick seedlings from every patch of soil that gets some water ;-)

I hope that plastic works for you. Here they're having a rough time being mounted on plastic. But I'm using a different technique; I have no holes, but no single tap root either. Good to see how they compare later on.

Daniel Camilleri

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Coming spring I'll be doing Aleppo pines.
I wonder why you guys even take the time to germinate seeds, when you can just pick seedlings from every patch of soil that gets some water ;-)

I hope that plastic works for you. Here they're having a rough time being mounted on plastic. But I'm using a different technique; I have no holes, but no single tap root either. Good to see how they compare later on.
We're a bit short on trees where I come from. :D In fact, I gathered hundreds of aleppo seeds, those not using for bonsai purposes will go to a local tree growing project, so short on trees we are! :eek:

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hello friends!
Thanks everyone for your interest!
Daniel, @Daniel Camilleri your question is reasonable :)
I entered the contest and would like to be compliant with the title : 6 years JBP contest :D but in fact I had also the desire/curiosity to try the JBP which is so famous and beloved as bonsai.
I don't sow seeds... I'm lazy you know... @Anthony is the main reason for my participation, he's the one who motivated me :)
However, @Wires_Guy_wires is correct, why bother germinating Aleppo pines around Mediterranean? We can pick any number of seedlings at any stages of growth any time we go to the countryside :D

Now, regarding the update of my seedlings I am not so happy...
a) Those three cut seedlings have all of them yellow and/or brown needles and only retain some green at their apex. Perhaps, I should have kept them protected longer before moving them to full sunshine...
b) The normal seedlings are doing well even though they also have some yellow/brown needles but perhaps this is normal due to the season... I don't know...
c) The rest three seedlings with their taproot cut (post #84) one is dead and two are struggling to survive.
After all, it is fun growing seedlings and now I do feel all of you pine growers fellow-nutters! :D

Last edited:

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi my nellie,
I am sorry for your dismay. However, considering it as a lesson, you will do much better next time. Failure is the Mother of Success! :)
Thụ Thoại

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hello friends!
Thanks everyone for your interest!
Daniel, @Daniel Camilleri your question is reasonable :)
I entered the contest and would like to be compliant with the title : 6 years JBP contest :D but in fact I had also the desire/curiosity to try the JBP which is so famous and beloved as bonsai.
I don't sow seeds... I'm lazy you know... @Anthony is the main reason for my participation, he's the one who motivated me :)
However, @Wires_Guy_wires is correct, why bother germinating Aleppo pines around Mediterranean? We can pick any number of seedlings at any stages of growth any time we go to the countryside :D

Now, regarding the update of my seedlings I am not so happy...
a) Those three cut seedlings have all of them yellow and/or brown needles and only retain some green at their apex. Perhaps, I should have kept them protected longer before moving them to full sunshine...
b) The normal seedlings are doing well even though they also have some yellow/brown needles but perhaps this is normal due to the season... I don't know...
c) The rest three seedlings with their taproot cut (post #84) one is dead and two are struggling to survive.
After all, it is fun growing seedlings and now I do feel all of you pine growers fellow-nutters! :D
At times it can be discouraging, particularily this time of year when the weather can be so inconsistent. I recall watching a batch of seedlings turn purple and brown over a short period of time in the fall! Very little green if any apparrent. Then spring came and the purple changed back to green and the brown fell off. Patience may be the only thing required at this point. If they are obviously struggling then i would provide some protection from freezing if that is a concern in your location. The key factors for JBP that are struggling is protection when temperatures are in the range of -10C or lower for a period of time. Say more than a week. best of luck.

Last edited:

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thank you very much for your interest and your time for sharing your thoughts, Frank.
Greatly appreciated!
... ...If they are obviously struggling then i would provide some protection from freezing if that is a concern in your location. The key factors for JBP that are struggling is protection when temperatures are in the range of -10C or lower for a period of time. Say more than a week. best of luck.
At my location the lowest temperature we may feel/experience during winter is 0-1°C for 1 or 2 days and frost doesn't last more than 2-3 continuous days. Usually we have 5-10°C
And regarding the "obviously" brown/dead seedlings, I have not thrown them away. I keep them and water them as always together with the live ones. Who knows if they will make the great surprise next spring? :p

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thank you very much for your interest and your time for sharing your thoughts, Frank.
Greatly appreciated!At my location the lowest temperature we may feel/experience during winter is 0-1°C for 1 or 2 days and frost doesn't last more than 2-3 continuous days. Usually we have 5-10°C
And regarding the "obviously" brown/dead seedlings, I have not thrown them away. I keep them and water them as always together with the live ones. Who knows if they will make the great surprise next spring? :p
Your winter is milder, i doubt if that is a concern for the seedlings. If any green remains then the possibility of recovery exists! Best of luck

Top Bottom