My new babies

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hi There,
I went to the Midwest Bonsai exhibit this week-end. I was in a hurry and didn't have time to actually look at the show (which is much smaller than at the August exhibit's one anyway), I was just there to pick up new trees (little trees, my budget never allow me to pick up big ones when they aren't free to dig).

So here they are, both products of BC Bonsai in Glenview, IL:

A hinoki cypress:

DSC04199.JPG

I didn't have my glasses at the show and was a little reluctant to buy this cypress cause of what I though were brown tips all over the foliage.
However, as I liked it and the vendor assured me it was perfectly healthy, I went for it (also it was just $20, so...).
I do not regret my purchase as it turned out that all the 'brown tips' are in fact buds :)
May be next time I should wear my glasses before starting to question the health of the products in nurseries :oops:

The second one is a kingsville boxwood:
DSC04200.JPG

DSC04202.JPG

I like the mossy trunk and roots of the boxwood a lot.
The vendor suggested that I could re-pot it with its roots disposed flat on a tile but instead I think I'll try to insert a little rock there. It won't be a ROR sensus stricto, more a RLR (roots leaning on a rock).The overall style of the tree will be broom-ish as anyway the tree obviously wants to be a broom :)

For the moment I didn't work on them as I was waiting to have your opinion on the best timing to do the 1st styling pruning.
May be now for the boxwood and when the buds will have 'bloom' (one say bloom for conifer buds?) for the cypress, what do you think?

:)

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Extra question for you guys: how much faster the cypress will grow if I plant it in the ground for a while (meaning: will it be a really noticeable difference of growing speed)?

Last edited:

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Sorry about that :(
How did you do? (in order for me to try to avoid doing it ;))
Well, I did the basis noob actions, using bad soil and pruning / repotting in wrong season.

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Well, I did the basis noob actions, using bad soil and pruning / repotting in wrong season.

I would dislike but the option isn't here :(

So based on your (bad) experience do you think the idea of pruning mine once the bud will have bloomed (?) is fine for the tree? (I won't re-pot except if I plant it in the ground, which isn't really a re-pot though)

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would dislike but the option isn't here :(

So based on your (bad) experience do you think the idea of pruning mine once the bud will have bloomed (?) is fine for the tree? (I won't re-pot except if I plant it in the ground, which isn't really a re-pot though)
Remember the one insult rule with those. And the times that you work on them.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Slip pot the Cypress and the boxwood into similar substrate in large containers. I fill the large containers with a good amount of rock so the pot it actually just a lot wider and the roots grow horizontal. Don't trim the Cypress except for maintenance like dead foliage and cracked branches this year. Fertilize and water it, Winter it, then work it one year, repot the next...
I have never had any boxwood live more then 18 months if I do anything more then a minor thinning - they must acclimate before the harsh work.

Grimmy

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Slip pot the Cypress and the boxwood into similar substrate in large containers. I fill the large containers with a good amount of rock so the pot it actually just a lot wider and the roots grow horizontal. Don't trim the Cypress except for maintenance like dead foliage and cracked branches this year. Fertilize and water it, Winter it, then work it one year, repot the next...
I have never had any boxwood live more then 18 months if I do anything more then a minor thinning - they must acclimate before the harsh work.

Grimmy

Thanks!
:)
2 questions though:
- what does that mean 'slip pot'?
- what do you call 'a minor thinning'?

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
2 questions though:
- what does that mean 'slip pot'?
- what do you call 'a minor thinning'?

Slip them soil and all into a larger container. Just loosen up the outer roots a bit so they hit the new dirt. I just rake them gently.
Minor thinning on a boxwood here that is not established would be just cutting out dead foliage and branches. I find they must acclimate a year here after a Slip Pot before they can take real work.

Grimmy

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Slip them soil and all into a larger container.

That what I though but I wanted to be sure.
And what do you think of a possible replant of the cypress in the ground for a couple of years instead (with the same technique of just slip potting it in a hole)? Would it speed up the growth?

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
And what do you think of a possible replant of the cypress in the ground for a couple of years instead (with the same technique of just slip potting it in a hole)? Would it speed up the growth?

That is and always be argued here by many. FOR ME if I plant a new plant that comes in Nursery Soil into a much wider container with my Nursery mix it works great. I have grown things like a Crabapple from a 2 foot tall thin whip to a tree that is over 8 foot tall in three years in the same pot. I feel it is because I can control drainage and location better in a container. A few weeks ago I had a tiny Rhododendron 6 inches tall and 7 1/2 inches wide bloom in its original pot from last year. Less then two weeks ago I gently removed the dried up buds and put in a larger pot by slip potting. It is already 16 1/2 inches tall and 15 inches wide... My Wife says you can almost watch it grow :eek:
Now to be clear after a two or three year period it "seems" most plants will slow down growth using that method. But I am experimenting this Fall with the large Crabapple. I am certain if I cut it down to 6 foot or so in the Fall and reduce the roots in the Spring it will continue just fine in the same pot.
Mileage varies with care and what your goals are ;)

Grimmy

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Whatever you do. Do not cut off any foliage close to the trunk on a hinoki cypress. They don't backbud so once it's gone it's gone for good. Also you pinch these trees to maintain shape. Pinch,not cut.
Hinoki cypress also like lots of water but don't like to sit in it. Protect from wind as they are susceptible to wind burn.
They grow awful slow.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My very first bonsai ever was a hinoki cypress. I had it 6 years. Lost it to leaving for a vacation and having my brother water my trees. He didnt.

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My very first bonsai ever was a hinoki cypress. I had it 6 years. Lost it to leaving for a vacation and having my brother water my trees. He didnt.

Did you kill him? Your brother I mean ;)

Btw: do you think it would be a good idea to transfer mine in a colander? (as you said they love water but not sit in it which makes them close to a mugo for that)

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did you kill him? Your brother I mean ;)

Btw: do you think it would be a good idea to transfer mine in a colander? (as you said they love water but not sit in it which makes them close to a mugo for that)
Sure. It will love it.

Top Bottom