My new "Christmas tree"

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
This little treasure is my Christmas present this year from my beautiful wife.

It's a Ficus burtt-davyi, aka veldt fig or South African fig, from Meehan's Miniatures. I saw it in their on-line catalog, started raving about it, she is no dummy, and now I'm really pleased with my gift!

It will stay a shohin, probably with a basic slanting style. The wound on the lower trunk, from a trunk chop in the past (reddish arrows in last photo) will be hollowed out and made into a feature of the tree.

And it even came with a fig! (Blue arrow.)

Attachments

• With my 'Christmas tree'.jpg
    With my 'Christmas tree'.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 85
  • Ficus burtt-davyi gift.jpg
    Ficus burtt-davyi gift.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 104
  • Showing the lower trunk.jpg
    Showing the lower trunk.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 112

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You know what they say, "Good things come in small packages". (You're wife might be hoping for someting in a small package, like the size of a jewelry box!)

Merry Christmas,
Jeff

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You lucky dog Steve! There's some nice movement there and it should turn into something really nice over the next couple of years.

djlen

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This little treasure is my Christmas present this year from my beautiful wife.

It's a Ficus burtt-davyi, aka veldt fig or South African fig, from Meehan's Miniatures. I saw it in their on-line catalog, started raving about it, she is no dummy, and now I'm really pleased with my gift!

It will stay a shohin, probably with a basic slanting style. The wound on the lower trunk, from a trunk chop in the past (reddish arrows in last photo) will be hollowed out and made into a feature of the tree.

And it even came with a fig! (Blue arrow.)

A question:
I have been to the site many times and always wondered whether the tree in the picture is actually the one that they send you. Is the tree you saw on the site the actual tree you got?
Sometimes the prices posted seem really, really low for the plant in the picture.

Oh, btw it's a beautiful tree!!!!! :)

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Thanks, guys. I'm looking forward to it too! :)

Barry, my wife already has the present she wanted for this year, an iPod. At the same time, I know of no woman in her right mind who doesn't like the idea of a something that comes in a jewelry box. :D

Len, yes, I got the tree in the picture. Meehan's are good about that. In fact, I had an interesting experience at their site a week or so ago. I clicked on the picture of an azalea, to expand it, and got the expanded picture of a different azalea, with a different price. My conclusion was that the first one had been sold, and while its picture was still up at the moment, they were making sure you knew it was no longer actually available.

Meehan's has very reasonable prices; one reason I'm a frequent customer! Makes me wonder sometimes how much of a mark-up some other vendors take.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Hey Beard, I'm glad you received something you really like for Christmas, I can tell by that big smile on your face. I'm sure the tree will receive the best of care, keep us updated and have a Merry Christmas and healthy New Year.

keep it green,
Harry

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Harry, thanks, and you're right: I do like it! Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year to you, too.

Len, I realized I must CLARIFY something. When I go to Meehan's website, I almost always go to their "Tree Gallery." That's where my new tree came from. And there, I'm sure that what you see is what you get. The trees even have ID numbers, and you can inquire about a specific one that way.

When it comes to plants in 2-, 3-, and 4-inch pots, I can't speak from experience as to whether you'd get the exact plant that was in the picture. But I'm sure you would get your money's worth.

Top Bottom