My new corker

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
There are at least 15 named cultivars of cork bark JBP circulating in North America, that are grafted onto regular JBP understock. There are also quite a few that have no name, because provenance was lost. Also if you have a cork bark JBP that produces pine cones, if the only other nearby JBP was another cork bark JBP then a fair portion of the seedlings will eventually show some degree of cork bark development. My experience with seedlings from cork bark JBP is that about 25% will develop cork bark in less than 10 years. The rest may, or may not, develop cork bark later, but I haven't had seedlings long enough to find out.

I mention this to point out that by appearance alone it is impossible to guess which cultivar you have. Now if Bjorn knows something about the source of the tree, that Mr X only had this cultivar or that cultivar, you can make a good guess when there are limited possibilities, but if you include that many cork bark JBP that have come from seed, there are too many cultivars, to guess by appearance alone.

You can make a list of possible suspects by appearance, but you can never know with certitude. So when you exhibit the tree, you should only list it as cork barked JBP unless Bjorn knows the specific tree's provenance. Not having a name does not diminish its value in any way, in bonsai it is not the cultivar that is key, it is the appearance of the tree, and to a lesser extend its age and who has worked on it that determine its value.

Littlejoe919

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b?
There are at least 15 named cultivars of cork bark JBP circulating in North America, that are grafted onto regular JBP understock. There are also quite a few that have no name, because provenance was lost. Also if you have a cork bark JBP that produces pine cones, if the only other nearby JBP was another cork bark JBP then a fair portion of the seedlings will eventually show some degree of cork bark development. My experience with seedlings from cork bark JBP is that about 25% will develop cork bark in less than 10 years. The rest may, or may not, develop cork bark later, but I haven't had seedlings long enough to find out.

I mention this to point out that by appearance alone it is impossible to guess which cultivar you have. Now if Bjorn knows something about the source of the tree, that Mr X only had this cultivar or that cultivar, you can make a good guess when there are limited possibilities, but if you include that many cork bark JBP that have come from seed, there are too many cultivars, to guess by appearance alone.

You can make a list of possible suspects by appearance, but you can never know with certitude. So when you exhibit the tree, you should only list it as cork barked JBP unless Bjorn knows the specific tree's provenance. Not having a name does not diminish its value in any way, in bonsai it is not the cultivar that is key, it is the appearance of the tree, and to a lesser extend its age and who has worked on it that determine its value.

Thank you for all that great information. I'm not really overly concerned about which cultivar it is. I've always wanted a corker, it was in my price range (not really, I sold my Sonny Boggs Dragon pot to fund it) and I really like it. It does seem to be grafted, but the corking seems to be moving down on too the root stock. I wish I could keep it inside, I could stare at it for hours. The wife has named it "baby Groot".

Last edited:

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I do not. I'm doing a workshop with Bjorn in 2 weeks. Hopefully he will know.
What a rustic little tree. I love it. I would keep it away from Bjorn though unless you particularly want it ''tamed'' with wire. My suggestion would be to just grow it, never touch it with wire and just use scissors now and then.

Littlejoe919

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b?
What a rustic little tree. I love it. I would keep it away from Bjorn though unless you particularly want it ''tamed'' with wire. My suggestion would be to just grow it, never touch it with wire and just use scissors now and then.

Thank you MichaelS.The plan is to just pick his brain about it. Recommend a pot when. how often to candle prune, those sort of things. I don't plan to put any wire on it.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Surprisingly personal suggestion is to wire young "free" branches while still possible to develop interesting form as well as bark. Be aware base of trunk will likely always be different(reverse tapered).;) Shapeless tree and unwirable branches may later on become boring/dissatisfying to personal senses if not done while young and early on

Littlejoe919

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b?
Surprisingly personal suggestion is to wire young "free" branches while still possible to develop interesting form as well as bark. Be aware base of trunk will likely always be different(reverse tapered).;) Shapeless tree and unwirable branches may later on become boring/dissatisfying to personal senses if not done while young and early on
Makes sense, I'll think long and hard on this. Thank you

Top Bottom