My new Cotoneaster Questions

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice tree MattE!

This...

do 1000 hours in our spare fridge in the basement at around 3-5'C for this first year till it strengthens

Sounds backwards... I think I get the logic...
I'm not saying don't use the fridge.

But....that 1000 hours IS a minimum.
It means nothing to you!

Once it goes leafless, you can shtick it in their...but don't count to a thousand and pull it out....

Wait till your worst weather is gone, then put it out..

Otherwise. There Will be no strengthening...only weakening, brought on by confusion.

Personally...
I would leave it outside...if it dies...you know it's too cold (doubt it!)..

If it dies in the fridge....you may never know why...and you may spend years adjusting when you could have just put it out and been fine.

Leave as little as possible to question.

S

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If you do go the refrigerator route, bear in mind that the air in a refrigerator is very low humidity, and the tree can dry out very quickly.
The best way to address the root mass issue, in my opinion, would be to take the tree out of its current pot and put it in a colander with bonsai soil around the existing roots. You'd be amazed at what the technique does to grow more roots, and how quickly. Pond basket = same result.

MattE

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
Thank you all for your tips, if i do put it outside i will put in in big plastic cooler and cover it in mulch

MattE

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
is it ok to prune back some of the top growth right now and thin it alittle bit, the root ball isnt that big , i didnt fully disturb the roots or cut any but i would like it to focus on the root ball for winter , and this out the top....lots of scraggly growth and unnecessary branches on this guy right now

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Given your location/zone and the time of year, personally I'd just let it be and let it use the energy to transition to fall and winter. See how it does coming through the winter and reconsider your game plan in spring.

MattE

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
Given your location/zone and the time of year, personally I'd just let it be and let it use the energy to transition to fall and winter. See how it does coming through the winter and reconsider your game plan in spring.
thanks , i cleaned it up very little , i couldnt believe hoe many little branches this thing grows its crazy branch off branch and like 3 coming out of the same area ect... i can see all you need is clip and grow method with these guys

Corrado

Mame
Reaction score
First off you can prune that anytime of the year. I could see a cascade out of that shape if you like that style . Or follow the trunk up and prune off so that you keep the trunk line tapering more and more. As for those winter temps I would not chance it. They are cold hardy but not that cold hardy!!So they will need help. I would not recommend a refrigerator . Use Nature and its timing but just add more protection. So my plan would be to let the normal fall temps work on the leaves changing color and finally falling off until the nighttime temps get down to say 15-20 degrees. Then transfer it to the barn . You could bury it pot and all inside that insulated cooler box filled with bark much. Just make sure it is watered and also wet the mulch so it doesn't dry out totally. I would wet the mulch every week too during the daytime . Come spring when you see the tiny buds start coloring up is when you can do any root pruning/wiring.

MattE

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
First off you can prune that anytime of the year. I could see a cascade out of that shape if you like that style . Or follow the trunk up and prune off so that you keep the trunk line tapering more and more. As for those winter temps I would not chance it. They are cold hardy but not that cold hardy!!So they will need help. I would not recommend a refrigerator . Use Nature and its timing but just add more protection. So my plan would be to let the normal fall temps work on the leaves changing color and finally falling off until the nighttime temps get down to say 15-20 degrees. Then transfer it to the barn . You could bury it pot and all inside that insulated cooler box filled with bark much. Just make sure it is watered and also wet the mulch so it doesn't dry out totally. I would wet the mulch every week too during the daytime . Come spring when you see the tiny buds start coloring up is when you can do any root pruning/wiring.

thank you for that info!!

Top Bottom