My "new" favorite stone. . . .

Ron Dennis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I have just recently acquired this stone from the Kamuikotan area of Japan. I think it is a very special stone and hope you like it as much as I do. The size is 4" L x 1.75 " H x 1.25" D.

Japanese Kamuikotan.jpg

The daiza and the kiri box were made by Art of the Daiza.

SMJ76

Sapling
Reaction score
Very nice stone!

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
I like the storage box, the fact that it originated in Japan and last but not least the look of the presentation. appreciate you sharing it with us :)

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love the near view mountain stones. This one is a very nice piece due to the great texture of the stone.

I have one very similer to yours that was found on the Trinity River in Northern California in 2003. While mine does not have the great visual texture yours posesses, it does posess the richness of color and the very soft feel of the river for centuries.

7"long x 4"high x 3.5"deep. Diaza by poster.

Attachments

• DSC_00010001.JPG
    DSC_00010001.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 57

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
recently, I've become fascinated by the storage boxes. I found one that would work for one of my stones that protects a japanese vase for sale at a second hand store. Gotta see if they'll sell it separately....

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Very nice pieces, thank you both for sharing. I have been searching for some proper stones for making a couple of sekimori ishi = (boundary-guard stone) sometimes called tome ishi = (stop stone) for at least to years now. I was able to actually get the warabinawa to tie them easily and was hoping to be done back then. *sigh*

Grimmy

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice pieces, thank you both for sharing. I have been searching for some proper stones for making a couple of sekimori ishi = (boundary-guard stone) sometimes called tome ishi = (stop stone) for at least to years now. I was able to actually get the warabinawa to tie them easily and was hoping to be done back then. *sigh*

Grimmy

Can you provide a picture of what it is you seek because I may be able to help you. I have buckets of stone.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Can you provide a picture of what it is you seek because I may be able to help you. I have buckets of stone.

Softball shape and size give or take a couple of inches. What is needed is a "roundish stone" with a flat spot so it does not roll easily. The warabinawa is a black line made from ferns and is tied in such a fashion it cradles the stone with a "handle" on the top so the stone can be lifted and moved easily. I am in a situation where I can and will make a very proper Japanese Garden this Spring at the new place and it is one of those details I am striving to incorporate. ;) I can actually use 4 various pieces now that I have looked at my drawings but even 1 or 2 would be better then zero.

Grimmy

Ron Dennis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I love the near view mountain stones. This one is a very nice piece due to the great texture of the stone.

I have one very similer to yours that was found on the Trinity River in Northern California in 2003. While mine does not have the great visual texture yours posesses, it does posess the richness of color and the very soft feel of the river for centuries.

7"long x 4"high x 3.5"deep. Diaza by poster.

Catching up on my reading today and saw your post for the first time. I like your stone very much.

Top Bottom