My New Ficus "Rudy" Wired and Defoliated

SockUnicorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I like it!

My one criticism: the small branch off the right of the new trunk looks out of place between the thicker new trunk and the two new branches off the original trunk. It might be different in 3D, but in the photo, I find it distracting. I can see the two branches on the right getting more and more out of proportion with that guy and stealing back the show. It almost looks like you'll end up with a mother/daughter situation in a few years rather than an integrated single canopy??

Do you have plans to try and control that? Or am I wrong in thinking you were after a single canopy??

Well if I'm tracking you right, I would really like that branch to thicken up a lot.

The branches should get progressively less thick, so I'm not sure if you mean you're worried it will get thicker than the branches on the right or not.

In any event if that branch weren't there right now, there would be a giant hole in the tree. I definitely want the new left canopy to thicken faster than the two right branches and I'm sure I can get things balanced out.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
so I'm not sure if you mean you're worried it will get thicker than the branches on the right or not.

I'd be worried it won't thicken as fast as the already thicker branches on the left and right of it. Especially with all that cambium ready to feed the right two branches. The right 2 branches have a nice wide water/nutrient channel whereas that shorter and thinner branch in the middle needs to compete with other branches on that left trunk.

Again, I think the tree is way cool and I like where you're going with it!

SockUnicorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I'd be worried it won't thicken as fast as the already thicker branches on the left and right of it. Especially with all that cambium ready to feed the right two branches. The right 2 branches have a nice wide water/nutrient channel whereas that shorter and thinner branch in the middle needs to compete with other branches on that left trunk.

Again, I think the tree is way cool and I like where you're going with it!

Yeah for sure. I just basically need to keep growth controlled on that side and try and let that left side power on but we shall see how it develops as well.

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I can't figure out if I love it or hate it (hate would be a strong word), but I definitely just spent about 5 minutes looking at it. There's something wild and unexpected about having the lower branch lead to the apex, but I'd watch that the right-hand branch doesn't compete vertically with the apex. I love that you knew where you were going with this.

SockUnicorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I can't figure out if I love it or hate it (hate would be a strong word), but I definitely just spent about 5 minutes looking at it. There's something wild and unexpected about having the lower branch lead to the apex, but I'd watch that the right-hand branch doesn't compete vertically with the apex. I love that you knew where you were going with this.
This is awesome lmao.

Thanks for the feedback. I definitely need to control growth carefully with this one. Luckily I just shoved it into that tiny pot space so it'll grow kinda slowly while I manage that.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Why not just cut off the tubes @SockUnicorn? Your tree, if you like them.....

SockUnicorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Why not just cut off the tubes @SockUnicorn? Your tree, if you like them.....
Roots? I'm working on it. There's so much going on down there it's just as much work as the top. It's been a process to even get it this shallow and it still isn't very. I'll start working on them next now that I've got the underside cleaned up more.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Roots? I'm working on it. There's so much going on down there it's just as much work as the top. It's been a process to even get it this shallow and it still isn't very. I'll start working on them next now that I've got the underside cleaned up more.
I wasn't being critical, promise.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
David Cutchin said 'Ficus and bougainvillea are like cockroaches in Florida' and I agree. They're hard to kill and they'll take a lot of abuse. He teaches for Mirai and also here in Fl. I've seen some crazy ficus plants in workshops so I'd just encourage you to have fun with it and whatever your vision is...Go for it.

SockUnicorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Rudy got another redo. The new oritentiaon makes the base look very cool. Had to select off some benches so will need to continue growing out some new primaries to fill in empty spaces.

PXL_20220602_222140055~2.jpg

Top Bottom