My new Japanese Maple

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The only place I could plant it into the ground would be in full sun, and I am unsure of how well it drains in that area. And I will start with the fertilizer ;)

The full sun could be a problem with leaf scorch, though I've noticed that the maples I have in the ground in full sun seem to deal with it a lot better than the maples in pots.

As for the drainage, why are you worried about drainage? Do you get standing water? My yard is full of the heavy Virginia red clay and trees I have in the ground (landscape and potensai) seem to do fine. I do amend the soil for my potensai though.

biglou13

Mame
Reaction score
The only place I could plant it into the ground would be in full sun, ..... ;)

can you put where it receives north light. or shade from another tree? while tree may burn a little it may get less and less every year. ive seen massive j maples as landscape trees in the dessert like climes in southern callifornia. so it is possible.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I think the leaf scorch comes from drying out too much. About 3 weeks ago I had 2 very healthy J. Maples growing side by side, one in the ground, the other in a pond basket. The basketed one is watered V. well daily, the one in the ground I think I felt was rooted enough that the earth would care for it with the assorted lets water the trees in the ground. Well lets just say that it was very hot and dry for a good stretch, and on afternoon I came home to find the one in the ground had about half of the leaves curled up and brown, yep just that one day. The rest of it has been fine, and gets more watering that id did before, just didn't realize how dry the ground had gotten. Maples like to be well watered.

Top Bottom