My New JBP may need a few grafts?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Well done Drew - great result!

Quick question if I may as I think I might have made a mistake with my JBP after reader your’s and @River's Edge posts. I thought you grafted in early spring - like about now? I’ve got some grafts I want to make and was planning on using the candles from last year as the scions. Have I got this wrong? Do you graft deciduous in early spring and conifers in autumn / early winter?

Thanks gents
Late winter, early spring can be the same thing to some people. The timing is best when the tree is becoming active but not strongly active. The reason for this is strong sap flow will inhibit the cambium joining by interfering when the cut is made and the scion grafted. To put it in perspective it can make a difference if you can graft quickly ( within 15 seconds of cutting the scion) . You would like to match up the scions before sap bleeds and interferes with the two surfaces to match.
If the tree is just waking up and the scion has not started to push this is the best timing.
If you live in a very cold climate then early spring say March might be a good time. In my climate and warmer areas January/ February might be the better time. That is why I described the condition that gives the best results. Matching the technique to your circumstances will give the best results. One approach is to harvest the scions while dormant and refrigerate for a few weeks. they stay dormant while the tree begins to wake up, then the timing is matched with the scion a bit more dormant than the trunk or branch to be grafted.
Hope my ramblings make sense for your question.

Drew

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got 2 out of 7 take on this tree, 2 out of 2 to take on another tree when done in spring. I got 3 out of 3 take when done in Oct/Nov. I will try again this autumn but as Frank has said both times can work and there are alot of variables just have to find the one that works for you.

I do all of my grafting on deciduous in late winter/early spring.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I got 2 out of 7 take on this tree, 2 out of 2 to take on another tree when done in spring. I got 3 out of 3 take when done in Oct/Nov. I will try again this autumn but as Frank has said both times can work and there are alot of variables just have to find the one that works for you.

With all species it pays to do some specific research for timing and applicable techniques. Although some basic principles apply the variations can be very important. For some conifers sap flow is very critical, others not so much such as Juniper , good results can be had with grafting during the growing season as well as more traditional late winter early spring timing! With deciduous the timing can vary due to temperature variation required by species to produce callus and healing.
Also the type of graft can lead to greater success in some instances and a better finished result. So once again it can pay to become familiar with various styles of grafting, not just one approach.
Practice is important because both speed and correct technique are critical to better results.
The three constants to consider for each species are desired temperature, humidity and aeration.
Most common reasons for failure, no match across cambium, desiccation, weak under stock, weak scion.
Additional information.
Best written description I have found for Juniper scion grafting is in The Bonsai Today " Masters Series" Junipers. There is more than one article, I recommend the approach used by Itsuo Okada in the article titled "Big Dreams from Small Shoots". I believe the book is still available through Stone Lantern. copyright 2007, second reprint 2016.
Overall a good book for those working with Juniper.

AndyJ

Shohin
Reaction score

Terrific result Drew, well done!

AndyJ

Shohin
Reaction score
Thank you for the info, @River's Edge - appreciate you taking the time. I’ve actually done quite well with deciduous so far. I’ve done 5 prunus Mume grafts and they all took and also 6 Paul’s Scarlet hawthorn, 5 of which took. Going to try maples and JBP this spring so your notes really help.

Top Bottom