My new JBP

buffrider

Mame
Reaction score
Tell me what yall think and where yall think i should go from here.

Attachments

• JBP FRANK1_1.jpg
    JBP FRANK1_1.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 136
  • JBP FRANK 2.jpg
    JBP FRANK 2.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 148

buffrider

Mame
Reaction score
top and trunk/nebari

Attachments

• JBP FRANK TRUNK:ROOT.jpg
    JBP FRANK TRUNK:ROOT.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 60
  • JBP FRANK TOP.jpg
    JBP FRANK TOP.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 58

biglou13

Mame
Reaction score
congrats on the new jbp

are u looking +or minus 5 years.

is there reverse taper?

looks like some good movement on trunk.

well for now. i'd feed and plenty of sun.

was it a mail order. (was it stressed)?

you'll need to select and let a leader grow out to help heal chop. I'd leave 2 in case one dies. then cut to one when sure.

this has lots o potential. whats your vision for it?

my standard answer is. root work in spring. smart pot for a year or 2. then in the ground. keep low branching healthy. grow sacrifice branches.

buffrider

Mame
Reaction score
is there reverse taper? Yes there is a lil. Two of the pictures will show that.
was it a mail order. (was it stressed)? Yes i ordered it from Frank but should not be stressed at all. Pushing out tons of new growth and is very healthy.
whats your vision for it? i was hoping to get a lil help on this. Id like to keep it small like it is.

Attachments

• JBP2001..1_1.jpg
    JBP2001..1_1.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 47
  • JBP2011:2.jpg
    JBP2011:2.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 42

buffrider

Mame
Reaction score
inverse taper

Attachments

• JBP2011:3.jpg
    JBP2011:3.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 43
  • JBP2011:4.jpg
    JBP2011:4.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 44

buffrider

Mame
Reaction score
more pics
pic 1: where the chop whats
pic 2: the possible new leader

Attachments

• JBP2011:5.jpg
    JBP2011:5.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 37
  • JBP2011:7.jpg
    JBP2011:7.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 30

buffrider

Mame
Reaction score
just another pic of it

Attachments

• JBP2011:8.jpg
    JBP2011:8.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 54

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
I'm really sorry to break this to you, the reason no one is responding, they don't want to hurt your feelings, I don't either, but you will be wasting your time with this JBP. It will never make a good tree, practice on it if you will, just know you will never be happy with it.

Harry

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Its hard to tell from the pics,but the inverse taper could just look that way because of the twist in the trunk,i would be worried about inverse taper at the very top of the tree where it was choped.Its hard to see,but i think its a whorl of branches there,if so,eventually you will need to lose some of those branches,you might even want to chop all that top off eventually when you get some buds down lower.You need to decide now,what you want the finished tree to look like,height and style,then make a plan.This tree is very young and as mentioned will need a few years to grow,for faster growth it might be a good idea to grow the tree in the ground if possible,check out Brents articles at evergreengardenworks,There is much to learn about training pinesfor now focus on keeping the tree healthy,and the rest will come in time,dont rush anything,all the nice pine bonsai have taken many years to get that way,its not going to happen in a growing season.Good luck with your first pine.

buffrider

Mame
Reaction score
Ok awesome. I'll just keep it healthy. I have no clue y Harry you think this tree will not be anything. This tree looks like it will be something good someday.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Ok awesome. I'll just keep it healthy. I have no clue y Harry you think this tree will not be anything. This tree looks like it will be something good someday.

Then by all means, go for it.

Harry

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Im going to. But what are u meaning this will never be anything?

Just an opinion from looking at hundreds of JBP's. When you've had an opportunity to see really quality trees you will understand, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Harry

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Buff, there's nothing between your pine and a good little pine but time. Without some experience with pines it's easy to waste a lot of time. Analyze your tree, strength an weakness and develop a plan to accomplish what you want. To me I see a very young tree, no bark. I see a weak tree, not many buds after de-candling and weak one year needles. No buds close to the trunk on existing branches and reverse taper down low. The forensics of growing is the trickiest part. How do I address as many minus's with the least intrusion and get the results that are needed. Number one, strength, feed, feed, feed and feed. Black pine needs a tremendous amount of feed to develop as quickly as possible with sun from dawn til dusk. Nothing else needs to done until fall, come back then. The reverse taper at the bottom can be grown through by growing a sacrifice branch at the top. The whorl (mess) can be addressed in the fall and a sacrifice can be isolated. TIME, don't be in a hurry.
Wood
http://thingsofwood-gary.blogspot.com/

tanlu

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Don't be discouraged by others. Your tree is young, but the advantage to that is rapid growth and an opportunity to create your own vision for the tree. I believe bonsai is more about creating something than having nice trees in pretty pots. I'm sure with a combination of time, experience, and making educated choices this tree will look great.

I agree with garywood. Do what was recommended earlier to get as much growth as possible. Choose a leader to get rid of that mess at the top. Grow a LOW sacrifice branch (I see you already have one) and get as much root growth as possible to overcome the reverse taper.

Good luck!

buffrider

Mame
Reaction score
Buff, there's nothing between your pine and a good little pine but time. Without some experience with pines it's easy to waste a lot of time. Analyze your tree, strength an weakness and develop a plan to accomplish what you want. To me I see a very young tree, no bark. I see a weak tree, not many buds after de-candling and weak one year needles. No buds close to the trunk on existing branches and reverse taper down low. The forensics of growing is the trickiest part. How do I address as many minus's with the least intrusion and get the results that are needed. Number one, strength, feed, feed, feed and feed. Black pine needs a tremendous amount of feed to develop as quickly as possible with sun from dawn til dusk. Nothing else needs to done until fall, come back then. The reverse taper at the bottom can be grown through by growing a sacrifice branch at the top. The whorl (mess) can be addressed in the fall and a sacrifice can be isolated. TIME, don't be in a hurry.
Wood
http://thingsofwood-gary.blogspot.com/

Ok now this helped me. Thank you. I will be talking to you when i come back to it this fall. Again thank you.

buffrider

Mame
Reaction score
Don't be discouraged by others. Your tree is young, but the advantage to that is rapid growth and an opportunity to create your own vision for the tree. I believe bonsai is more about creating something than having nice trees in pretty pots. I'm sure with a combination of time, experience, and making educated choices this tree will look great.

I agree with garywood. Do what was recommended earlier to get as much growth as possible. Choose a leader to get rid of that mess at the top. Grow a LOW sacrifice branch (I see you already have one) and get as much root growth as possible to overcome the reverse taper.

Good luck!

ok you say choose a leader to rid of the mess. Now would this mean getting rid of some branches or what? Also when you say grow a low sacrifice branch does that mean that i shouldnt decandle it or what?

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Dont do anything now except get the tree fighting healthy,the sacrifice branch down low will just grow wild so it will help the trunk thickn up,hopefully helping the taper issue,i would not cut anything till atleast the fall,comeback as mentioned,see how healthy the tree is,you dont want to make it weak for the winter,or it might die,it looks a little weak.Decandling is something you do on healthy trees that have been grown out,get the tree healthy,growing,till its old enough to train.Meanwhile learn all you can about pines,read online,buy books,take classess.Hope this helps.

biglou13

Mame
Reaction score
after latest images....

i'd slip pot into pond basket or smart pot, good draining soil, feed the mess out of it. trim nothing.

come fall re weigh options.....

if you get good/great vigorous growth. (unfortunately last pinch back/candling may be too late for FAT recovery)

in fall pinch back all of this years growth, prune redundant branches. don't touch new leader or sacrifice leader. (only if Vigorous) this should force back budding and possible low bud break.

fogart

Seedling
Reaction score
I like the sharp bend on the trunk, Don.t put it in a bonsai pot 4 now, plant it in a pond basket, for soil use seven parts river sand and three parts akadama, feed it well, rap copper wire around the trunk let it bite in and take it of again, that will thicken the trunk up.
Grow one of the branches about 6 feet high and cut off at the bace.
You should have a nice black pine bonsai in about 9 or 10 years, or plant it in a nice little bonsai pot and have a well looked after twig in 15 years, if you don,t go mad first.

Top Bottom