my new Juniper procumbens "nana"

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Recently I found some posts regarding to this juniper, so I will also show you what I got last weekend. I got this tree as a gift from my friend last week. It is in 3 gal plastic pot. Bonhe

Attachments

• DSC_1486.jpg
    DSC_1486.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 200
  • DSC_1487.jpg
    DSC_1487.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 173
  • DSC_1488.jpg
    DSC_1488.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 178
  • DSC_1493.jpg
    DSC_1493.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 173
  • DSC_1494.jpg
    DSC_1494.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 193

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I decided to style it as Bunjin. I imagined it as a lone tree on the top of high cliff and it has been suffered from the wind which tried to blow it down to the beneath ocean. Every comment is welcome. Thanks. Bonhe

P/S: a branch in the lower part of the tree is a sacrified branch.

Attachments

• DSC_1496.jpg
    DSC_1496.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 264
  • DSC_1498.jpg
    DSC_1498.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 304

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Hi Bonhe, sorry, but this look just doesn't do it for me. The original tree had more height and curves which I would have kept. From the sweep at the base of the trunk, the apex and foliage masses would be better on the other side of the trunk line. It would be more dynamic for the trunk line to lean to the right (like it is now) then the wind swept the foliage over to the left, if you want a windswept/literati design. All is not lost though. You still have plenty of branches to work with in the future. As it grows out, and I would let it grow freely for a year or two, then wire all the new growth up and over to the left and crossing the trunk line with it. Here's how I see it in a year or two.
Thân,

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Sorry, but this one doesn't trip my trigger. Maybe you should concentrate on making it a shohin with a large trunk.

keep it green,
Harry

Attachments

• attachment (1).jpg
    attachment (1).jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I decided to style it as Bunjin. I imagined it as a lone tree on the top of high cliff and it has been suffered from the wind which tried to blow it down to the beneath ocean. Every comment is welcome. Thanks. Bonhe

P/S: a branch in the lower part of the tree is a sacrified branch.

I'm curious to what the sacrifice branch is giving it's life for? Thickening trunk, buds in the lower part of the trunk? The tree has been made bunjin so thickening the trunk makes no sense.

Cheers, Al

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Bonhe, sorry, but this look just doesn't do it for me. The original tree had more height and curves which I would have kept. From the sweep at the base of the trunk, the apex and foliage masses would be better on the other side of the trunk line. It would be more dynamic for the trunk line to lean to the right (like it is now) then the wind swept the foliage over to the left, if you want a windswept/literati design. All is not lost though. You still have plenty of branches to work with in the future. As it grows out, and I would let it grow freely for a year or two, then wire all the new growth up and over to the left and crossing the trunk line with it. Here's how I see it in a year or two.
Thân,
Thanks Si. I didn't see your sketch. Yes, it is a good idea to bring the branchs to the left. I will consider it.

Sorry, but this one doesn't trip my trigger. Maybe you should concentrate on making it a shohin with a large trunk.

keep it green,
Harry
Hi Harry, no way :)

I'm curious to what the sacrifice branch is giving it's life for? Thickening trunk, buds in the lower part of the trunk? The tree has been made bunjin so thickening the trunk makes no sense.

Cheers, Al
I want to have it base a little bigger. But you may be right.
Thanks a lot for all comments. Bonhe

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I think your drastic reduction has left you with some interesting and lovely options. I can see where this is going so I would keep faith with the original design you have in your head.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think your drastic reduction has left you with some interesting and lovely options. I can see where this is going so I would keep faith with the original design you have in your head.
Thanks for reading my mind, Vance Wood.
Bonhe

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thanks for reading my mind, Vance Wood.
Bonhe

This tree kind of epitomizes the trend we see taking place today. People designing Literatiesque type trees that unlike their anorexic fore-bearers with their skinny trunks, have similar foliage configuration mounted on thicker trunks. I don't know what you would call this style if you find it necessary to define everything you do as fitting into one of the accepted pigeon holes, the truth remains that if the tree looks like a tree you might encounter in the mountains then it is legitimate. After all, according to the thinking of many, the literati it is a surrealistic style defined only as to whether it fits into the model produced by the ancient literati line drawings.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This tree kind of epitomizes the trend we see taking place today. People designing Literatiesque type trees that unlike their anorexic fore-bearers with their skinny trunks, have similar foliage configuration mounted on thicker trunks. I don't know what you would call this style if you find it necessary to define everything you do as fitting into one of the accepted pigeon holes, the truth remains that if the tree looks like a tree you might encounter in the mountains then it is legitimate. After all, according to the thinking of many, the literati it is a surrealistic style defined only as to whether it fits into the model produced by the ancient literati line drawings.
Thanks for information Vance Wood. Bonhe

Bob

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Bonhe. FWIW, I like what you've done with this Juniper.

Bob

Bob O

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Hi Bonhe,

I would like to see what you have done with this juniper since your original post.
I have two of these that I am currently working on.

Bob O

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Bohne, this "type " of tree is from what I can see gaining favor these days. A workshop with Cathy Shaner a couple of weeks ago had us sitting and looking over my recent purchase, and she pointed out a line similar to what you have now. Now don't get me wrong, I would place her opinion as to design over mine about any day, but I wasn't sure I liked it, if for no other reason the tree had other good viable options, which are all still available, still mulling them before I eliminate good options.

Your tree, I may not have gone this route, but then sometimes you just gotta be there, but you have a tree that has some good stuff , and you have a way of bringing that out, this has promise.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Bob and Bill, thanks for asking. Unfortunately, it died last year after I made a shari along its trunk!!
Bonhe

Treemania

Seed
Reaction score
I agree with Vance Wood. Bonsai, being an art form, is interpreted differently by different artists. When you go to an art museum, do you always like everything hanging on the wall? Yet there is no denying that it is beautiful to others ... always go for your vision & take advice when it is in harmony with your heart.

Bob O

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
bonhe,
I am sorry to hear that, we all lose trees but hopefully turn it into a learning experience.

I will soon post the two procumbens nana that I am working on.

Bob O

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Bob, it's right. We learn from our mistakes!
I'm looking forward to seeing your trees.
Bonhe

Top Bottom