My new literati JBP

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Picked this pine up today after work. What a great way to end this insanely hot day. Peaked at around 110 today. The guy I got it from sold me some bonsai pots a while back and is in the process of clearing out his late mothers trees.

The movement is amazing, but the color looks a bit off. I want to say its lacking Iron? I have included a picture of a healthy pine of mine for reference as sometimes its hard to capture the true colors via photo. There is a good chance it was not fertilized this spring as the owner passed away toward the end of last year. It was last repotted in 2014 so the roots are established and it appears to be pushing candles all around the tree.

So Bnuts, I need your help! Its still candle cutting time and my season is pretty long. Would you prune? What about the color? What would you guys do? Thanks!

Front
4.jpg

Trunk
2.jpg

upskirt
3.jpg

Color comparison ref.
1.jpg

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
warm thanks..
maybe I’m thinking sketch it out is inspiring .even tho I’m a scribbler...want to do this more

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Picked this pine up today after work. What a great way to end this insanely hot day. Peaked at around 110 today. The guy I got it from sold me some bonsai pots a while back and is in the process of clearing out his late mothers trees.

The movement is amazing, but the color looks a bit off. I want to say its lacking Iron? I have included a picture of a healthy pine of mine for reference as sometimes its hard to capture the true colors via photo. There is a good chance it was not fertilized this spring as the owner passed away toward the end of last year. It was last repotted in 2014 so the roots are established and it appears to be pushing candles all around the tree.

So Bnuts, I need your help! Its still candle cutting time and my season is pretty long. Would you prune? What about the color? What would you guys do? Thanks!

Front
View attachment 199844

Trunk
View attachment 199845

upskirt
View attachment 199846

Color comparison ref.
View attachment 199847
I would get to know the tree and try to improve the health first. Perhaps wire some branches in position this fall. Repot this spring to understand the condition of the roots and prepare for work going forward. Check the drainage it may be staying too wet for too long!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dope.

Sorce

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Front
View attachment 199844

Trunk
View attachment 199845

upskirt
View attachment 199846

Color comparison ref.
View attachment 199847

Yes and fertilize;). Does substrate drain well? If not is time can repot anyway(maybe Fall)Spring 2019 for sure.

Shun

Mame
Reaction score
I like the tree!
I'm newbie but willl throw my 0,2 cents out there.

Design-wise I would pull some foliage mass to hide that sharp bend in the uppper portion of the tree.. It causes a feeling of inverse taper up there that makes the feeling of the tree a little bit unsettling.
(of course if you are commited to that as the front, maybe theres more options where that is not as noticeable.)

Keep on sharing updates on this one! Literati is one of my favorite styles!

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Love that trunk! Agreed, may be too wet, be sure to check the soil directly under the base at the next repotting.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
what a beaut!

I like that the base is strong and masculine, gender bender

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Thanks for all the feedback. I will be keeping an eye on the watering for sure.

The needles are yellow at the base, then greener near the tips. Too much water. The soil is likely poor, and staying too wet. Repot into good soil at earliest opportunity.

Should I just let it grow undisturbed for the rest of the season or do you think I can candle prune some of the longer shoots?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for all the feedback. I will be keeping an eye on the watering for sure.

Should I just let it grow undisturbed for the rest of the season or do you think I can candle prune some of the longer shoots?
It looks like it’s growing, so you can decandle, and there’s probably some old needles that should be pulled. It also probably needs selective thinning.

In general, it looks like it’s been neglected, and needs some general TLC.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
It looks like it’s growing, so you can decandle, and there’s probably some old needles that should be pulled. It also probably needs selective thinning.

In general, it looks like it’s been neglected, and needs some general TLC.

Appreciate the info! ;)

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
That looks to be what could be a very iconic piece of bonsai material in the future and here it is on Bonsainut in a help me thread.....Somebody conk me in the head with a rock...

Top Bottom