My new nursery find- 'Jacqueline Hillier'

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Forgive me for jumping in late...

Confidence in knowing what to buy, is indeed a skill gained in the practice. Which I think is why Eric suggested that the original poster (who has acquired several different trees at this point) start thinking beyond the usual nursery options. Buying trees with some guidence is always wise. But there are some critical considerations when purchasing trees that can help in a pinch...

Do I know anything about the species? (Will it back bud, what kind of growing conditions does it like.)

Does the tree have a good base? (If it doesn't, and you are new... think twice about buying it. If you can't see it... dig around in the pot with your fingers and try and figure it out. If there's nothing anywhere near the surface, you likely have a mess on your hands, and will have to be thinking of a plan to overcome that... again... it goes back to knowing the species.)

Does the tree have reasonable lower branching, or will the tree be able to produce some? Is it anywhere in reference to what is a good view of the base?

Does it have any reasonable trunk size relative to it's potential height? (Sorry... in bonsai... size matters. Always. I don't care if the tree is 3 inches tall or 30.)

Is the bark displaying any signs of maturity? (Many trees can take 7+ years to get any signs of mature bark. The asthetic mature bark lends is not something you can fake.)

How many years am I prepared to invest in it before I get to something I feel good about? (Even with material that costs $100+ you are going to have years on your hands if it's in nursery soil.)

If I can't get somewhat satisfying answers from all of that, I pass it by. That means I pass up almost everything in a garden nursery, and about 90% of all bonsai nursery material. This is neither good nor bad, it just means I know what I want. I know what styles I like. I like to mentally twist a tree into a proverbial pretzel in my mind and decide if it'll take it or not. Thinking beyond what is, to what can be, and will my return be worth the effort.

Needless to say I'm a big fan of collected material... and established trees. I've got some things in cans, but it's more weighted to the other. I've bought some trees, even without being completely satisfied with the questions. But only if the species is very meaningful to me, and I've been thwarted in my effort to find a better specimen of it elsewhere.

One great book that helped me early on was Basic Bonsai Design by David DeGroot... totally changed my experiance when I read it, and I still try and gift it to as many newer learners as I can. Because it really teaches some fundamental (albeit Japanese in flavor) things in a straight forward way about design and material selection.

But nothing on earth beats having a mentor. I had several in the begining, on-line mostly. I would call Ron Martin (rest his soul) when I was at nurseries, and he would coach me through my choices even when he couldn't see them, because he would ask me those questions... and not let me be distracted by my enthusiasm. Then later, I got connected with Daniel Robinson. The teaching he has provided me has never waviered from his conviction that if you want to make great bonsai, you have to start with great material. Mediocrity is not something he'll let slip by without comment. Especially to one who works beside him. He insists on excellence, in trees and your work. He has ribbed me more than once over trees he would never consider. But I always tell him to leave me alone when he gives me a bad time, because I won't waiver in what I like either. He may think I'm nutz some times, but he always respects my convictions.

On an interesting note... the first year I worked with Daniel, I didn't buy one tree that year. Working on someone else's trees so totally ate up my time, I didn't even have time to consider acquiring more.

He likes to tell a theoretical story about a novice who goes to a convention and sees great bonsai, and he's all inspired and wants to learn... then he gets signed up for a local class and he kisses his wife goodbye on the day of the class and they all dream of the wonderful tree he must be bringing home that night. Then he goes... and is given a pencil in a pot juniper to put some wire on.. some instructions, and he's sent home. The wife... eager to see the tree, is disappointed by her husband's lackluster enthusiasum for showing the fruits of his labor. She sees the whip and says "That's not what the trees looked like at the show...??"... he mumbles "I know."... and the lil tree gets put out on the back deck and is forgotten and eventually dies. And the spark he had when he first saw a great bonsai tree dies with it.

The moral of the story is that if a newer learner is not given something with which to stoke the fire of their learning... then we have failed them as teachers. That man could of been the next great eagle in the art, but we'll never know. To Daniel's credit, some of the best trees I had early on were one's he gave me.

Does the student need a show tree to grab the spark and fan it to a flame? No... but will that be achieved with a pencil in a pot? Not likely. I do this art because I want to create great trees. I killed several trees in excess of the imaginary $150 mark in my first year or two... always my failures were about patience. But that was before I had intensive study with Daniel. Eric hasn't killed any... and that is because he started with two teachers right from the start. I gave him the maple... I bought it because when he saw it, it put a light in his eyes I still remember. I can tell you that at the time, I couldn't "afford" to get the tree... but I also couldn't afford not to. His passion, and how he would come to experiance the art was just to important to take a chance on.

And as a slightly uncomfortable, but true aside... if a bonsai enthusiast in your area passes away, generally someone will be trying to unload their trees... if you can find out where, or who... it's a sad but good way to get some great material. Several of the trees I have acquired over the years that are worth 4 times more than I paid for them were acquired in this way. My satsuki is one... and a great tree was saved from neglect.

I'm not sure any of this helps the discussion... but I hope so... or maybe it'll just give you something else to think about when pondering the potential of a tree in a can at your local nursery. The amount of money spent is nothing compared to being able to answer those questions. Unfortunately nurserymen are not idiots who hand out great trees for $20. But a great sale at the end of the season can often yeild nice material for half the cost. Lord knows.. there's nothing wrong with saving money. ;)

Kindest regards,

Victrinia

Last edited:

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Eric and Vic, I think those are great replies. And Eric, that tree needs its own thread!

My trees are about equally divided between nursery stock, pre-bonsai, and collected trees. Picking good nursery stock is a great treasure hunt for me, but I think it doesn't come easily for people at first. In certain parts of the country there may be fewer really good general nurseries to find stuff at as well, since the big commercial nurseries often have the worst stuff.

Two recent day trips, one with Vic and Eric, yielded several great possibilities at general nurseries, but the stuff we liked was still pretty pricey. And yet, I have often found surprisingly great trees for very little. I like the hunt - whether or not I come home with a trophy is not the most important thing for me at this stage of things, so I can come home empty handed after a full day of nursery hopping and not have it upset me at all.

To help out beginers, here's something I wrote in a previous incarnation: http://www.bonsaisite.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9905 - unfortunately, the photos all got misplaced to the bottom of the page when the site was revamped one time, so it is difficult to match them with the narrative, but still it may be of some help.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"No one on here including myself said anything to the affect that someone in bonsai should spend a lifetime buying $40 trees."

Neither did I. I suggested that thinking you're going to get really good material from nursery sale bins that can be developed into a great tree may not be the best way to approach bonsai. There is a tendency among bonsaiists to pride themselves in finding laughably cheap material and bragging about it. "I found this $2 maple at Wal Mart. It's fantastic."

Typically a $2 maple from Wal Mart remains a $2 maple from Wal-Mart for the next 20 years, or six months (if it lives)... This "cheaper is better" philosophy can be just as bad, or worse, than the "the more expensive, the better" philosophy.

"She sees the whip and says "That's not what the trees looked like at the show...??"... he mumbles "I know."... and the lil tree gets put out on the back deck and is forgotten and eventually dies. And the spark he had when he first saw a great bonsai tree dies with it."

Vic's anecdote about the guy with the pencil in a pot that kills his enthusiasm hits the nail on the head. Investing in decent quality stock (or even finished) trees up front--even though you may kill a few--serves the imagination more than tending to silly sticks in pots. I bought my first "bigtime" tree over $300 my first year in bonsai. I still have it. It revealed itself to me over the years and provided inspiration for my other trees. Want motivation to learn proper care? Watch your spouse's face when you tell her how much you paid for it..killing it is NOT an option.:D

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"She sees the whip and says "That's not what the trees looked like at the show...??"... he mumbles "I know."... and the lil tree gets put out on the back deck and is forgotten and eventually dies. And the spark he had when he first saw a great bonsai tree dies with it."

Vic's anecdote about the guy with the pencil in a pot that kills his enthusiasm hits the nail on the head. Investing in decent quality stock (or even finished) trees up front--even though you may kill a few--serves the imagination more than tending to silly sticks in pots. I bought my first "bigtime" tree over $300 my first year in bonsai. I still have it. It revealed itself to me over the years and provided inspiration for my other trees. Want motivation to learn proper care? Watch your spouse's face when you tell her how much you paid for it..killing it is NOT an option.:D

This anecdote was pretty similar to my experience. I started last year, and bought a lot of little stock. My interest started waning as I realized that my sticks in pots weren't going to amount to much in the next few years, especially after realizing how slowly trees actually grow. It wasn't until the fall when I got a nice collected Ponderosa from a Larry Jackel workshop that my interest level piqued - a tree with all the scaffolding in place that I could actually start styling, rather than watch grow. :D

I still don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to start out with inexpensive stock though - it's a cheaper way of learning the important basics of repotting, sun exposure, watering and feeding, as well as the time commitment the hobby takes. It's not like a model car that you can put aside for a few months.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Hi,

I think that this thread is a very good illustration of the "spirit" of this forum.

Someone asks for advice on the cultivation (and styling) of a tree and the answer is :

Buy bigger.

I think there is a true culture gap here :

- those who don't have enough money to buy fashionable, finished trees are just creeps that must be taught how good they would be if they had the money It's so paternalistic, typical.

- owning is more important than building.

- bonsai is fast : it takes two or three years to achieve something, those who spend 15 years working on a tree are losers. Never mind if the tree dies a few months later, immediate reward is the word.

Permit me to disagree. I'm in good company : http://danbartonbonsaipots.wordpress.com/bonsai/

It's just another philosophy, another point of view (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ry%C5%8Dan-ji). The stone in which the path to bonsai enlightment must be so big and beautiful that the 14 others totally disappear, I understand. :p

Others started with raw material from 'Jacqueline Hillier''s cuttings. A good cultivation, etc, can give very good results in 40 years :
Hilliari Elm nr. 1

I believe that between 'instant bonsai' and '40 year-bonsai', there's a way.

Anyway, it's like painting : some like to buy master pieces and dust them once in a while (it's mine, it's mine !!!!), others prefer to take a palette, a brush and some paint.

If the "Masters" can only give advice on easy stuff, it's high time to think by yourself, or you're dead.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@AlainK - I am guessing that you entirely missed the spirit of this thread. Since no one here was talking about instant bonsai. What we are suggesting is spending some effort on buying trees that are further along ... we are talking about having really nice trees in 5-10yrs and not 40yrs...(mind you WP has only had that elm since 1994 and it was an established tree at the time)....

AlainK said:
- those who don't have enough money to buy fashionable, finished trees are just creeps that must be taught how good they would be if they had the money It's so paternalistic, typical.
No one said that... but thanks for the radical interpretation
AlainK said:
- owning is more important than building.
There is nothing wrong with building a tree on top of a quality foundation.
AlainK said:
- bonsai is fast : it takes two or three years to achieve something, those who spend 15 years working on a tree are losers. Never mind if the tree dies a few months later, immediate reward is the word.
Wow!! again no one said that... I spend a great deal of time working on trees that were grown from seed for 50+ years and trees that have been worked on for 2-3yrs after collection as well as trees that have been worked on for 30+yrs after being purchased as large established bonsai.... ALL of those trees are equality beautiful.

AlainK said:
Others started with raw material from 'Jacqueline Hillier''s cuttings. A good cultivation, etc, can give very good results in 40 years :
Read more carefully that tree was purchased as an established tree/bonsai stock in 1994. This is an example of what I am suggesting people do.

AlainK said:
Anyway, it's like painting : some like to buy master pieces and dust them once in a while (it's mine, it's mine !!!!), others prefer to take a palette, a brush and some paint.
Again you aren't getting the spirit of the comments in this thread... its not about buying master pieces ... its about buying material with greater potential for bonsai..... material that you don't have to spend 20yrs working on before it begins to even have the potential to be good bonsai. That material could cost $20 or $500 .... you are just more likely to find it if you are willing to spend a little more $$$ ....

grizzlywon

Shohin
Reaction score
Fresno, CA. Were all the food comes from if we ha
USDA Zone
9A
AlainK, while I think you are taking this to an extreme, I also think that you are seeing deeper into this site than many have before. I have been feeling this for sometime at least to a lesser degree.

I have also talked about this in the past, basically how the longer you have been doing this (bonsai) the more refined your tastes become. Just like in art, wine etc? This isn't wrong, but something that a newbie doesn't even comprehend yet and may never will depending on how long they do this. What get's my blood flowing (sometimes a $40 tree) will probably not do it for guys like Al or others. They have a yard full of $40 trees and do many years ago too, so they are looking for more.

But what I will say, is that many on this forum who have very nice/world class trees still spend a lot of time helping newbies out and they don't have to. For the most part they want to help us and put their time into that. And for this, I am grateful.

I also see the generation gap you speak of and it has been stated here as well. Some of the older members know they don't have 30 years left to watch a tree grow, so they won't waist their time on one. I can't blame them, but I feel like I do have that much time and I don't have a lot of disposable income right now in my life. Well my wife informs me of this regularly.

Another big factor is patience. Some of us have more, some of us have less. Some of us can afford to have more if we are younger, others can't be. While bonsai is not a race, but a process as you would agree, not ever finishing a race can be very frustrating and maybe even cause some to drop out of the race. Sometimes this is a thin line.

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I went intending to buy a seiju and cam home with this. Any ideas? I was thinking some air layering in several places. It is in a 5 gallon container and the trunk is pretty thick.

Amy,

Don't be discouraged by this thread that never really answered your simple question and gave you a bunch of unsolicited advise.

Looks like an elm...perhaps Chinese (lacebark) tough to tell from the picture. If your a grower and like playing around then go for the layering. If you want a to start working for that image then you should do your hard pruning and try and heal the scares before they get to big.

If your tree were mine then I would do the following and perhaps at the next potting cock it a bit to the right.

Attachments

• IMG_0460.jpg
    IMG_0460.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 42

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
One problem I have with most early bonsai training is that people _expect_ to kill trees. If you start out telling yourself that you will fail at something... than you probably will. Lets stop perpetuating the idea of "paying dues" in bonsai and spend more time focusing on how to create and keep great trees. Isn't _that_ what its all about any way?

Like the tree Ang....but this statement I really don't get.

Most people going into bonsai have very little practical horticultural knowledge which is obvious by a lot of posts...so it would be a natural thing to assume that people will have passing thoughts , that sometimes they verbalize, that they fear about doing in a stick in a pot....its human nature. If you had entered this hobby any other way than why you did...I would bet the farm you would have verbalized externally or internally these same fears.

EVERYONE pays dues, its the nature of the beast. Without paying said dues, you don't progress...some of the best lessons are learned the hard way. You been doing bonsai for about 3 years...that is 3 growing seasons, how you can pontificate on game plans, lessons and dues in such a short time. Granted your wife has helped and you have a teacher that is one of the best. However they can't give you there life lessons...they maybe able to relate them...but its not the same as living and experiencing them...that my friend is paying your dues.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Tom the theory of "dues" that i speak of is that people start off believing that they are going to kill trees, and so they already start off afraid. Instead of playing to those fears and telling them "you will kill dozens of trees" we should instead focus on teaching people how to keep the trees they do have alive. Focus on the positive and not the negative.

As Daniel likes to so nonchalantly say "Give it sun and water it everyday and it will outlive you" . That may be a VERY rudamentary version of the truth in bonsai... but it is dripping with truth. Instead of preaching about the mystical chants and incarnations required to keep a bonsai alive... shouldn't we be focusing on instead empowering people with simple facts of knowledge. And lets face it.... keeping bonsai alive and healthy is really not as hard as we want to think...

I know that people voice their fears coming into bonsai... I want to instead of feeding those fears I want to encourage them with positive thoughts.... I don't think that is so bad....

In the end people will kill some trees here and there it happens... I killed one once and will probably kill some more. The point being that I wasn't afraid to care for a tree because I didn't come to that tree with the preconceived notion that it would end up dying.

Does that help make my point clear?

P.S. Technically it will only be 2 years in bonsai this year on my birthday. (my 30th birthday thank you very much) the year before that doesn't really count since i had no trees.

Last edited:

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ok Ang just trying to keep perspective;)

Tom the theory of "dues" that i speak of is that people start off believing that they are going to kill trees, and so they already start off afraid. Instead of playing to those fears and telling them "you will kill dozens of trees" we should instead focus on teaching people how to keep the trees they do have alive. Focus on the positive and not the negative.

Dues are dues Ang...whether you fear your going to kill a tree or actually do it...the stress of it is a "due"...and we all pay them. We will all kill dozens of trees...if you don't your doing something wrong...like not pushing your boundaries. Yes, we could all put on rose colored glasses and think positive thoughts...but the hard cold reality is...if you progress beyond a stick in the pot...you'll kill a few innocent bystanders a long the line...it happens....get over it and move on...I killed a tree I paid over 3K for...it hurt, I thrashed myself, I shed a tear...and moved on...I learned a great deal from that.

As Daniel likes to so nonchalantly say "Give it sun and water it everyday and it will outlive you" . That may be a VERY rudamentary version of the truth in bonsai... but it is dripping with truth. Instead of preaching about the mystical chants and incarnations required to keep a bonsai alive... shouldn't we be focusing on instead empowering people with simple facts of knowledge. And lets face it.... keeping bonsai alive and healthy is really not as hard as we want to think...

Your right it is very rudimentary .... I respect Daniel very much...I expect that phrase is dripping in sarcasm as well. I have yet to hear about these mystical incantations you speak of to keep a bonsai alive. Your quote "keeping bonsai alive and healthy is really not as hard as we want to think" is a little simplistic. If you put a tree in a pot...feed it and water it...yes it will grow. However...start fooling around with techniques that mess with life lines, roots, splitting trunks then it gets a bit more complex....and the risk goes up.

I know that people voice their fears coming into bonsai... I want to instead of feeding those fears I want to encourage them with positive thoughts.... I don't think that is so bad....

Its not bad...I commend you...but blowing smoke up peoples shorts when dismissing negative thoughts maybe a disservice...based on the lack of horticultural knowledge a lot of people have...these people should be scared. I'll bet the farm that their trees are! I'll give you an example of a customer I have...called me up after buying a tree....this person liked the look of deadwood so they stripped every last bit of bark off....then complained about why the foliage had browned up....exactly how do you put a positive spin on that...and don't say tanuki:D

In the end people will kill some trees here and there it happens... I killed one once and will probably kill some more. The point being that I wasn't afraid to care for a tree because I didn't come to that tree with the preconceived notion that it would end up dying.

Ok here I gotta disagree with your claim, because earlier you said you were motivated by fear.

My first bonsai was a $450 Maple... that still lives.... I was motivated by its cost to keep it alive...

So you were fearful that you "might" flush $450 down the toilet...fear is a great motivator...it worked for you obviously...your tree lives and flourishes...:cool:

Does that help make my point clear?

I get your point...and admire your position....I just think it needs to be tempered a bit...because the fact of life is, fear motivates, trees die..and self doubt makes one verbalize in a negative sense, which might be called self therapy on a forum. These are all part of the learning process...and is human nature.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Tom,

I guess it boils down to ... while fear is that motivator that can help people overcome things.... I am hoping that we can teach people to harness that fear and use it to grow... instead of being pesamistic and thinking they will kill every tree worth more than $20.

And for the record I didn't believe that I would end up killing the tree... because those around me told me otherwise... and they were right...

Why should people doubt themselves? Did you use self doubt while you were laying 500' of fine wire on that juniper to motivate you? Did it help you to think that you were going to kill the tree? I can see it now.... "Damnit Tom you are doing it all wrong... this tree will never survive wiring... it's going to look like crap when you are done. It'll prolly be dead in a month. You should just give this Bonsai stuff up" <<-- real self motivation there. Or were you instead confident... do you motivate your daughter by teaching her to doubt her self? Does that speed the development of a persons passion?

I guess I am just curious about how and why a person who is new to bonsai should be terrified and told that they lack the skills to care for a bonsai. Pushing a tree to its limits is not required to keep keep good bonsai stock... and by the time it might be needed one has had the time to learn....

I just don't buy the notion that people new to bonsai should waste years caring for cheap trees with little future. If they like them... then more power too them I'll be the first to commend them.... but _IF_ you want more....then you should do what it takes to get more... and don't be blinded by a bunch of people telling you that you simply aren't smart enough or capable enough to do it.. cuz that is about the biggest pile of ballocks I have ever heard.

Hisaoka

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh my, I didn't check this post for a couple weeks....took me a while to read through it... Amazing how asking a little advice on an elm turns into a huge debate on the value of trees.... Anyway, thank for the rendering and your suggestion Tachigi. That's probably what I'll do. Is it better to remove the limb now, or wait for dormancy, or next spring?

Also, thanks for all the other advice too. I appreciate all I can learn. These nursery trees I got for pretty cheap, and I love elms, so I got a 3-4 different variety of Chinese Elm to work with. I have other trees as well, but something about the elm I find charming. Especially my Hokkaido Elms. Now that I've been into Bonsai since early spring, My tree purchasing has decreased and I'm happy working on what I have. (I did a lot of cutting in the spring, so I have even more to work on later) I also joined my local bonsai club and love it! They are so knowledgeable! I haven't killed too many trees yet, Maybe just one maple, that got caught in the sun in 100 degree weather over the summer and never bounced back after that. Hopefully it will hang on till next spring. (I know to put them under shade cloth or under cover when that happens now...) I also haven't had luck with azaleas yet, they don't seem to like the faster draining soil... The ones I left in potting soil are doing better...But other than that, all my trees are thriving...so far...

Last edited:

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
EVERYONE pays dues, its the nature of the beast. Without paying said dues, you don't progress...some of the best lessons are learned the hard way.

I now have more empty pots than trees, does that qualify me as a paid up dues member........;)

keep it green,
Harry

Top Bottom