My new Pinus parviflora "Catherine Elizabeth"

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So I was down at Conastoga Nursery in East Earl, PA today. This place has the best selection of trees of any nursery in PA that I have seen. Additionally, for a nursery that is not officially a bonsai focused nursery, it has many bonsai suitable tree species in smaller sizes and a lot of small conifers.

I looked at about 20 young grafted JWP "Catherine Elizabeth" that they had and most had graft unions not suitable for pre-bonsai material. This one had a nice flare to the base (not very visible in the photo) and a decent graft union that also is somewhat hidden by the lowest branches.
20170422_193604.jpg
20170422_193550.jpg

Should I plant this one in a pond basket for a few years and forget it?

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
"Catherine Elizabeth" is a dwarf form of JWP and until recently I kind of felt it was like a "hollow victory" to create a bonsai out of a dwarf variety of a particular tree species. Now I think I am starting to feel that utilizing a dwarf variety for the creation of bonsai makes perfect sense. Because, in the end a beautifully styled, JWP bonsai is same (in concept) regardless of genetic provenance.

I really think this one has the potential to be a decent JWP bonsai after a number of years.

Btw, Conestoga Nursery had these larger JWP for sale as well (at least one had a sold sign). I assume these are destined for landscape use.
20170422_140006.jpg

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
JWP, regardless of the cultivar, are slow growers.

If you do put this in a basket, or even in the ground, put some curve in the trunk now, while you can.

aphid

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
JWP, regardless of the cultivar, are slow growers.

If you do put this in a basket, or even in the ground, put some curve in the trunk now, while you can.

With wiring?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Just seeing the price tag makes me miss pre pandemic plant prices. Any updates?

Top Bottom