My new rock juniper

Ruddigger

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I thought so. They’re the only ones who call procumbens a rock juniper. I bought one from them as my first bonsai. Just put it outside, dont do anything to it. Soil they use is terrible, so in early spring repot it into better inorganic soil (not from eastern leaf.)

BonsaiDTLA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great little tree! I'm sure you'll end up liking it a lot! Two friendly suggestions:

(1) it would help members if you could go to your profile page and put your location in there. Then it will show up under your name, so we will be better able to give you advice suited to your climate; (2) you should get more trees. :)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I thought so. They’re the only ones who call procumbens a rock juniper. I bought one from them as my first bonsai. Just put it outside, dont do anything to it. Soil they use is terrible, so in early spring repot it into better inorganic soil (not from eastern leaf.)

Yeah I had no idea what a rock juniper was, but overall I like the tree! Any suggestions on soil options?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Great little tree! I'm sure you'll end up liking it a lot! Two friendly suggestions:

(1) it would help members if you could go to your profile page and put your location in there. Then it will show up under your name, so we will be better able to give you advice suited to your climate; (2) you should get more trees. :)

What a friendly community! Thank you for the pointers, I want to get a red maple bonsai next ! ;)

Ruddigger

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Yeah I had no idea what a rock juniper was, but overall I like the tree! Any suggestions on soil options?
Just look around for a soil with akadama pumice and lava (scoria.) I mix my own, but some retailers sell it for a premium. Around here Home Depot sells Procumbens Nana junipers that size for 7 bucks. Buy some of those if you can find em and practice all the things you’ll find on YouTube.

tainoson

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Welcome from a fellow Masshole! if you ever want to see a small sample of semi-trained bonsai, 16 Acres Garden Center in Wilbraham has a few to poke around at and isn't far. Bonsai West in Littleton is well worth the drive, and Mr. Eng down at Bonsai Garden of CT in Manchester has a fun little shop set up as well. I prefer to be able to see the plants in person and pick through the selection, so i haven't bought anything online but Wigerts Bonsai is well-regarded for online sales, though it's getting a bit late in the year for that.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thank you ! The receipt for this one said it was over $100... Are there any reputable tree dealers online?
That is much more than your tree is worth. Some retail nurseries charge high prices to the uniniatited, when this composition could be made for around $12. A good list of online bonsai retailers is here:
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/online-bonsai-retailers-completed-list.15766/

It is not a rock juniper, it is a rock and a juniper. The juniper appears to be J. Chinensis, probably a procumbens nana, In addition to keeping it outside, learning to water will be key to keeping it alive. Welcome.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Welcome from a fellow Masshole! if you ever want to see a small sample of semi-trained bonsai, 16 Acres Garden Center in Wilbraham has a few to poke around at and isn't far. Bonsai West in Littleton is well worth the drive, and Mr. Eng down at Bonsai Garden of CT in Manchester has a fun little shop set up as well. I prefer to be able to see the plants in person and pick through the selection, so i haven't bought anything online but Wigerts Bonsai is well-regarded for online sales, though it's getting a bit late in the year for that.

Heyy thank you so much! 16 acres is right down the road. I'd definitely prefer to see them in person next time! I want to learn more about bonsai and build a little collection

Top Bottom