My new Serissa, bought too early, not much light...

PinkSilo

Seedling
Reaction score
So i'm moving into my boyfriend's house in 4 months and he has a nice West facing window with lots of light, but i was "just looking" in a Bonsai shop to choose which i would get when i moved in. I saw this Sarissa and while talking to the sales person explained my situation, that i only have North facing windows. She said i shouldn't have a problem so i got it. Now i'm reading lots of posts about them and how difficult they are but what's done is done. What are my chances with this little guy?

It's allegedly 4-5 years old. It was in a nursery the whole time and then in a shop with grow lights for 1 week.

I bought it 2 Amazon clip on grow lights (all 4 light heads face the bonsai, 5" away, 12 hours a day) and a mini humidifier. Will that be enough to keep him alive for 4 months until i move into a space with more light?

Here's what he looks like:
dR6TyM6.jpg

Here's him in front of his little humidifier:

Uq2CtKH.jpg

I did have it outside on the windowsill at first but realize the sun was not good enough so i brought him inside under the lamps. I suppose i could put him back outside and still try to put the grow lights on him from the inside.

Also, does the humidifier need to be 24/7? or is 16 hours a day okay.

Sorry about such large pics!

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Does that pot have a drain hole?

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Nanuk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
What direction is the windowsill pointing that you had it in?
Grow lights are going to have a hard time giving it the light that the sun would.

PinkSilo

Seedling
Reaction score
What direction is the windowsill pointing that you had it in?
Grow lights are going to have a hard time giving it the light that the sun would.

Sadly i only have a North window, which is where i had it and now it's inside on that same window. I could put it back outside on the North window where it gets morning "sun", and put the lights facing it from the inside pointing out so that it gets both.

PinkSilo

Seedling
Reaction score
Okay, now I put him outside on North window with lights facing out toward it.

Is this any better?

I can only take him inside after 7pm every day m-f. This also means no humidifier but I can give him one after 7pm. But I think I’m supposed to keep him outside even at night so he doesn’t experience change. Thoughts?

04D9CE91-F721-4DA0-A0DD-031B7AC7EE9B.jpeg
22CAA3D3-05F3-4E83-92BF-085E1169F3BD.jpeg7E4DF513-0EC8-40ED-8D60-5017AD2E475A.jpeg

Last edited:

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Leave it outside all summer until overnight temps go below 50°F. Buy a cheap moisture meter at any local store and water accordingly. Check whether to water every AM until you get an idea of its continuing needs. It will be much happier and healthier than moving it around.

PinkSilo

Seedling
Reaction score
Will do, thanks! Should I spritz it a couple times daily for humidity?

Nanuk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Okay, now I put him outside on North window with lights facing out toward it.

Is this any better?

I can only take him inside after 7pm every day m-f. This also means no humidifier but I can give him one after 7pm. But I think I’m supposed to keep him outside even at night so he doesn’t experience change. Thoughts?

View attachment 249916
View attachment 249913View attachment 249914

That looks to be getting a good bit of light. That's way better than indoor grow lights.
If you want to mist it daily, I'm sure it won't mind. Don't over think it.
Good luck.

PinkSilo

Seedling
Reaction score
That looks to be getting a good bit of light. That's way better than indoor grow lights.
If you want to mist it daily, I'm sure it won't mind. Don't over think it.
Good luck.

Big thanks.

Thanks all, much appreciated. : )

Top Bottom