My new ugly potato (desert rose)

karen82

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I found this guy cheap in the clearance area at walmart - not surprising since he looks like a big deformed potato and had no label of any kind. So sad and ugly looking I had to bring him home.

rose2.jpg

It actually seems pretty healthy, though - nice and solid in the pot even though I know its roots won't last long in that muddy potting soil it's in.

I'm thinking I should probably allow it to dry out before repotting, though. I'm going to poke some holes in its pot and shelter it from rain and hopefully it will dry out pretty quickly.

Fiinally, I know these aren't really bonsai, but they are bonsai-ish and I've seen some very impressive ones grown using some bonsai techniques.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If you have other plants... I would quarantine it for a bit as well. Those branches don't look healthy. Not familiar with them entirely. But do have one that came defoliated and unpotted. It sits under my grow cart until it recovers and gets new foliage then hoping outside a bit.

Heitor Silva

Yamadori
Reaction score
I found this guy cheap in the clearance area at walmart - not surprising since he looks like a big deformed potato and had no label of any kind. So sad and ugly looking I had to bring him home.

View attachment 256150

It actually seems pretty healthy, though - nice and solid in the pot even though I know its roots won't last long in that muddy potting soil it's in.

I'm thinking I should probably allow it to dry out before repotting, though. I'm going to poke some holes in its pot and shelter it from rain and hopefully it will dry out pretty quickly.

Fiinally, I know these aren't really bonsai, but they are bonsai-ish and I've seen some very impressive ones grown using some bonsai techniques.

Hey, I am not a pro with DRs, but from my experience those black-ish branch aren't something common. Just as other people said, i would suggest leaving it somewhere isolated from your other trees. Also, supposing your plant is in its growing season, i'd remove those dead sections- i use a blade cutter to remove them, and, after that, i apply some cinnamon powder to the wound. Good luck!

Paul G

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is just hearsay, but if memory serves, I think the sap is toxic, so be careful. I have one and it loves the brightest, hottest outdoor sure I can give it...yet for some reason it hates the sun that comes though the window sun it's inside. Burns the leaves to a crisp.

Top Bottom