My newest shimpaku juniper

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got this last year. I got it from Kurt at The Flower Shop in Dundee Michigan. He's a vendor at our annual club show. I called before the show and asked him to bring the biggest shimps he had.
He brought 3 and I picked this one.
It's fairly nice but raw.
I'm planning on doing initial work this year with Vance coaching me if he has time 20170430_163223.jpg 20170430_163346.jpg 20170430_163319.jpg 20170430_163517.jpg but all suggestions and critiques are welcome.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I got this last year. I got it from Kurt at The Flower Shop in Dundee Michigan. He's a vendor at our annual club show. I called before the show and asked him to bring the biggest shimps he had.
He brought 3 and I picked this one.
It's fairly nice but raw.
I'm planning on doing initial work this year with Vance coaching me if he has time View attachment 143490 View attachment 143492 View attachment 143493 View attachment 143494 but all suggestions and critiques are welcome.
I always have time to coach you Mike, not to worry.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, it's nice and healthy. Lots of branches to help your design.
Being raw is the best part. You will style it according to your own aesthetics.
Thank you. Yes it is very healthy.
I find that I either leave too much on a tree or I cut too much off. That's why I'm open to suggestions.
That way I can find a happy medium maybe.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
If you ask my suggestion, then I'll say that my ignorance needs more clear photos, perhaps after a first basic cleaning of unnecessary green on the branches :)

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you ask my suggestion, then I'll say that my ignorance needs more clear photos, perhaps after a first basic cleaning of unnecessary green on the branches :)
See how easy that was?
First suggestion and a good one!
It's raining out but I'll get some better pictures as soon as possible.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here's some easy things to do to get started:

1) get underneath the branches and remove any downward hanging growth.

2). Look at the last couple photos I posted on the Don't Pinch Junipers thread. If you see any foliage that is dull and has white tips, remove it.

Have fun!

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
nice tree @M.Frary just a quick question. How big is this tree and approximately how much did it cost? I've been looking to acquire a nice shimpaku, but debating on buying a big tree versus just growing one out. I'm only 35. I expect to be around for a little while.

Top Bottom