My next project Japanese Maple ‘ Coonara Pygmy’

Krisb1

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just got this today 5 foot tall, roughly 3 inch trunk... very tiny leaves. I want to repot is it to late, the buds 85 percent open, lower half already leading out but roots are growing through bottom of the pot.. I want to give it a another growing season but I’m a much large container.. this is 10 gallon but I want to put it in a 50 gallon and just let it explode with growth..

Attachments

• 3A85CA95-E663-41DD-AC97-7E46E7EA0048.jpeg
    3A85CA95-E663-41DD-AC97-7E46E7EA0048.jpeg
    266.7 KB · Views: 85

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I like it, nice little leaves. I Don't know about reporting other than it might be a good idea just to slide it out of the pot and place into the bigger one without any root work.

Krisb1

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That was my thinking... not sure if I want to make it a very large bonsai... I see it 5 to 10 years being amazing...

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
3" trunk must mean that pot is about a yard wide???? maybe you mean the visible root spread is 3"?
I think the leaves are too far advanced for a full repot and root prune but if you just want to go up to a larger pot you can do that any time because you are not cutting roots. potting on won't address any problems with the current soil mix or problem roots but you probably don't have a choice this season. Do it properly next spring?

Do you have a plan other than grow it? Shape? Trunk line or style? Try for some layers off the top?

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I would wait until next January or February to complete all the root work. If you are just up-potting which I don’t recommend then you could do that now. The longer you wait to address the roots the more problems you will have. You could airlayer in the mean time.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Just got this today 5 foot tall, roughly 3 inch trunk... very tiny leaves. I want to repot is it to late, the buds 85 percent open, lower half already leading out but roots are growing through bottom of the pot.. I want to give it a another growing season but I’m a much large container.. this is 10 gallon but I want to put it in a 50 gallon and just let it explode with growth..

Nice! I would also wait to re-pot but you can trim that tall leader now if you’d like. Did you happen to get this from metro maples?

Top Bottom