My next raintree

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We have been having strong winds now for the third day in a row. Yesterday it moved my grill. At the same time this tree had a growth spurt and its funny to see it grow to one side because of the wind.
20180412_174901.jpg

Random User

Reaction score
I just did the same thing to mine last night in between MMA fights... I have some lower branches that I don't want to get shaded out and the tops were getting too dense to guarantee that this wouldn't happen. Of course, mine are way smaller than yours are, but I want to keep everything growing in lockstep.

One of them required repotting (minor disaster on my part) and after only being in the pot for about 3.5 months, I was amazed how many new roots had developed. By the looks of the new growth that I'm seeing, these will need trimming 3 or 4 times a year (depending if they go into dormancy or not)... do you see the same pattern c54fun?

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just did the same thing to mine last night in between MMA fights... I have some lower branches that I don't want to get shaded out and the tops were getting too dense to guarantee that this wouldn't happen. Of course, mine are way smaller than yours are, but I want to keep everything growing in lockstep.

One of them required repotting (minor disaster on my part) and after only being in the pot for about 3.5 months, I was amazed how many new roots had developed. By the looks of the new growth that I'm seeing, these will need trimming 3 or 4 times a year (depending if they go into dormancy or not)... do you see the same pattern c54fun?
Yes, mine seem to grow in spurts and need trimming many times a year. Great for building new branches or making them lush with growth.

Random User

Reaction score
@c54fun

Thanks for the replies to my questions on a plant that has few real problems (not to diminish your input).

Really, if it weren't for the compound leaves, these things would be the ultimate indoor bonsai; especially for beginners or children.

IMHO, even the compound leaves don't detract from the attractiveness of the plant, because they are so unique in their habits...

I am going to assume though, that if I ever got an infestation of aphids, they would be a bitch to get rid of.

Reaction score
I also have a BRT first year when it was first received in the small plastic pot it was full of leaves i found a pot for it didn't brother the roots or change the light however within a week all the leaves fell off started growing slowly but not much moved it upstairs to a more sunny window it started to grow leaves like crazy now it is dropping the new leaves however not as fast been taking it out on nice days i hope that soon it will start growing and keeping more leaves also read it needed to be misted daily any tips to keep it growing sorry don't know how to load pictures yet could use help with that also so u can see where i'm at with this hope all i'm doing will get this tree going now that spring is finally here

Redcoat

Seedling
Reaction score
That's awesome! A BRT at my local nursery had happening. Did a class on them today and got to do another to add tomy collection. I'm torn between which side to make the front. Any thoughts?
This side?
20180519_212514.jpg
Or this side?20180519_212438.jpg

Each side has its charm and character. Personally I'm leaning toward the first picture. Input greatly appreciated

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would work both sides as a potential front on a tree like yours. As it grows out you will find what looks best.

Redcoat

Seedling
Reaction score
True, this was after its first real styling and potting. It was originally an air layered cutting. Can't wait to see how it grows out

Reaction score
my tree is now outside starting to get a few more leaves some of the branches are looking a different color are they dead should i cut them back i wish i could add pictures to the site so u could see but haven't figured it out yet did star a bonsai album holding the history there but still praying over the rain tree even with less leaves its a great tree

Reaction score
I sent a picture it is doing a little better now I cut off the white looking leaves and bare vines

Top Bottom