My Nick Lenz Elm progression.

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
So I obtained this Nick Lenz Elm from Don Blackmond last year in August and I just wanted to show a few progress pics of this tree so far. I think it's come a little ways in just the short amount of time that I've had it and I'm looking forward to seeing where it will be in 2 more years from now:)

Here it is when I first received it:

And here it is now after a serious cut back last year, minimal wiring, root work and new soil and in my climate which is vastly different from MI.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wonder if you can't throw a sprinkler on one morning, to go just over that wall and wet them bushes below the wall...

Like this...aviary-image-1491283042543.jpeg

Then you can safely just throw a match in the tops and not have to look at that shit anymore!:p

Looks like they're about to head back to the Depot to join the Brown Arb parade!

Anyway...enough about taking a machete to those bushes...

I like the moves you have made so far.

It seems happy.

In a couple months...
I would like to see this pruned downed to like just 2 or 3 whips from all the main branches....
Something like this..aviary-image-1491284441923.jpeg

Give you a chance to rebuild some branching.

I am attracted to the small tree.
But somehow that heavy left branch on the big tree feels like a big lever that is using the right branches to push the little tree out of the pot and over.

I think that branch should go...

Ahhh...
aviary-image-1491285185747.jpeg
Both the trunks look more powerful There!
This puts "scale" back in your bonsai court IMO.

Sorce

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
It has made some progress, I like it, but I have to agree with Sorce, that left branch is distracting, to me it goes up at too much of an angle. I would cut it back
about 3/4 of the length and build some ramification and wire it down some, but you may have something else in mind. How tall is it?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
For the tress over the back wall. I was hoping they were photo edited to lose their color to not distract the shape of the trees you own...for, I hope they died of natural reasons and not something that can spread onto your collection.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh...

What I meant to say is....

The little tree....

I'm attracted to it....
But the big tree somehow overwhelms it.

I feel the little tree is in a "good spot", as far as character goes....

The big tree should be worked to compliment it more.
Rather than fight it out of the pot.

Sorce

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It's cool that Nick Lenz owned tree. But, one must ask...at what stage was this tree in his possession? Think of that...when you decide on how to take this tree to the next level. Because he himself would have taken it to a higher level if still in his care.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It's a nice tree but I think either the smaller trees angle needs to be reduced or the larger tree needs to lean more to make this look uniform, or harmonize

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm curious if the roots are intertwined...or if that larger one could be turned around having the back the front taking that lower right branch a left lower branch. Opening up the center between the two trees. This isn't a traditional twin trunk. But, left side of the larger tree seems to be pulling ones attention away from the overall composition of the piece.

But again his is 2D. Seeing it first hand...one may see more in the movement of trunk that we aren't seeing. That the lower bare side of the tree may not be as noticeable.

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
The neighbor is Japanese from Japan and underestimated our ☀️:) Those tree's cooked last summer from heat and a lack of water.

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
I'm curious if the roots are intertwined...or if that larger one could be turned around having the back the front taking that lower right branch a left lower branch. Opening up the center between the two trees. This isn't a traditional twin trunk. But, left side of the larger tree seems to be pulling ones attention away from the overall composition of the piece.

But again his is 2D. Seeing it first hand...one may see more in the movement of trunk that we aren't seeing. That the lower bare side of the tree may not be as noticeable.

These trees are completely bound!

IMG_20170311_114905_005.jpg

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
These guys have been growing together for quite sometime

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Eventually your going to have to do root work in there if you don't you will have issues like all new growth on outer portions of branches, not much inner branch growth,you might be able to adjust when you get to that point

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Maybe cover that right lower branch with a white piece of cloth (on the larger tree)...and take a picture. If it was removed...it may not make the larger tree seem...like that left side is so bare. I would not remove the lower left branch though. It will make it even more an issue of to bare on that side of the trunk.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's a nice tree but I think either the smaller trees angle needs to be reduced or the larger tree needs to lean more to make this look uniform, or harmonize

I agree, the two trunks don't relate to each other at the moment. While it might be tough to change the angle of the trunk on the left, you can minimize the branches on it's left side and extend those on the right.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If this was a Lenz creation, it's very likely he had something placed on the soil right at the bases of the two trees. Something like a model of a rusted old car. So it looked like the trees, especially the smaller one, were growing out from underneath. Maybe even out of the open hood of the car! Or maybe a bathtub. Or a pile of used car tires.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If this was a Lenz creation, it's very likely he had something placed on the soil right at the bases of the two trees. Something like a model of a rusted old car. So it looked like the trees, especially the smaller one, were growing out from underneath. Maybe even out of the open hood of the car! Or maybe a bathtub. Or a pile of used car tires.

I like your train of thought! Maybe he should add something as inspiration to Nick Lenz between the trees.

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score

Yea I'd say that's pretty likely:) The history of this tree is that it was started by Nick Lenz 80's-90's maybe and then ended up with Doug Paul. From Doug Pauls collection to Don Blackmond and then to me. I'm working on it a little bit at a time, no rush. My limited time in these trees gives me a slower eye for development lol, unlike someone such as yourself who would probably see things a lot quicker and with more clarity.... I'm definitely having fun with the tree though:) I'll try to get some video footage of this piece today, pics take a lot away from this tree..

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
I like your train of thought! Maybe he should add something as inspiration to Nick Lenz between the trees.

As bad as it may sound to some, when I first saw this tree in person I immediately pictured a 1st century cemetery:) I pictured a few 1st century crosses and head stones with an old looking wood fence around it. I know that would probably piss more than a few people off but it's my tree now lol......

Top Bottom