My not so little Serissa

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hi There,
I bought this Serissa today because I couldn't resist the start of exposed roots.
I didn't know anything about this tree but know that I get to read a little about it seems that this customer isn't the easiest one.

DSC03622.JPG DSC03620.JPG

So I have some questions:

- the soil is obviously not the best one so I was planing to re-pot it, is it too late (or too soon), or could I go for it? (I don't plan to root prune it, just change the soil for a good drainage one)

- the tree is also kind of overgrown with the big stems going up, is it fine to prune it in the meantime?

- living in IL I'm sure it will be faster to put it directly in my compost if I plan to let it spend the winter outside however I read that they have to get a dormancy period anyway and don't like to be inside despite their sub-tropical origin. So it's kind of tricky and I'm better to start thinking about it right now. What will be the best: in my un-heated garage (where the T could go to freezing but not as cold as outside but with close to no light) or in some sunny but not to hot (around 60 may be a little less) room in my house or what? Our place is layered in term of T so it will have the choice: hot but not very much light in the basement, warm and kinda sunny on the 1st floor, really not too hot - I'd say cold but my wife disagrees - but with great light on the 2nd floor.

- last but not least: do I really have to hit my thumb with a hammer as suggested by Sorce in a Serissa related post? ;)

Anyway I also read that these trees are moody and could go berserk only by being moved around so for the moment I will let it some time to get use to the fact that it is it, live or die it will do it here...

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I don't know much about the climate in Illinois, but this is how I handle them here.

I bring them in when it gets to 35 - 40 degrees, I have left some out that are just rootings and there are some that are part of the landscape that have braved whatever nature has thrown at it and have survived, but I doubt the roots have ever frozen. If in a pot I would not leave them out and let the roots freeze. The longest mine are inside is maybe a week. Then back out until the next cold snap. We never really have extended cold periods during winter here in south Alabama, 30 degress one week, 70's the next.

Repot in the spring just like the other trees. You can repot in the early summer, but they do not like it, so to play it safe, do it in the spring. The soil that it is in does not look that bad as long as it drains good, you should be able to leave it in there till next spring. I think that your best bet is to leave it in the pot and soil that you have until then. You could prune and wire it, if you like, there is still a lot of growing time left and you could take advantage of that.

John

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Mine is in very organic soil...but, fast draining. I was told as long as it's fast draining that having it in more organic soil won't hurt it. Some never put it in bonsai soil. I am a northern...and never wintered mine as of yet. But, I have a grow light ready for it...and expect leaf drop and sulking when brought indoors.

I know these are known for ones tossing them out...while they are sulking and not really dead. So...if your aware of their finickiness...I think your a step above the game. I wish you good luck...mine has yet to sulk...but, it's not been brought indoors either. But it did change sceneries and location recently. And never skipped a beat.

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ha. HA HA. ANOTHER serissa sucker ;-)...Sorry. couldn't resist. These are a definite pain in the ass in colder climates. They're pretty trees, make decent bonsai if you're willing to put up with (or can figure out) their needs. There are a few on this board who have. Mellow Mullet is on the right path.

BUT, in the end---have you ever seen an example of serissa bonsai that has a trunk more than two inches in diameter? There's a reason for those being so hard to find...

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
From the Carolina Expo a few years ago:

Attachments

• SERIS000.JPG
    SERIS000.JPG
    215.8 KB · Views: 48

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks all of you guys for the comments! :)

Now individually:

That is the extent of my knowledge on serissa!
I know there are some up here.

Here's a bit of info.
http://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Serissa.html

Sorce

Thanks Sorce, I'll check that today (I'm at my job, I have plenty of time ;) )

I don't know much about the climate in Illinois, but this is how I handle them here.

I bring them in when it gets to 35 - 40 degrees, I have left some out that are just rootings and there are some that are part of the landscape that have braved whatever nature has thrown at it and have survived, but I doubt the roots have ever frozen. If in a pot I would not leave them out and let the roots freeze. The longest mine are inside is maybe a week. Then back out until the next cold snap. We never really have extended cold periods during winter here in south Alabama, 30 degress one week, 70's the next.

Repot in the spring just like the other trees. You can repot in the early summer, but they do not like it, so to play it safe, do it in the spring. The soil that it is in does not look that bad as long as it drains good, you should be able to leave it in there till next spring. I think that your best bet is to leave it in the pot and soil that you have until then. You could prune and wire it, if you like, there is still a lot of growing time left and you could take advantage of that.

John

Thanks.
I saw a couple of your posts and obviously your are to Serissa what Vance Wood is to mugo pines.
I know Mobile, Al, I drove trough a couple of time on my way from Miami to Tucson, nice place but definitively not the same weather as Niles, Il. :)
However 35 - 40 is a really fine as lower T limit. I could easily find it a place in my house that will be more than that (luckily!).
Ok I'll wait till spring (although for me that could be later on in the year compare to you, end of May beginning of June may be? After it's boomed? - if it does - Will see) for the repot and I'll start pruning it as soon as it will be done with its teenage crisis (some of its leaves have already started to turn yellow, but I know that's just the change of environment, my retusa did the same when I brought it home).

Mine is in very organic soil...but, fast draining. I was told as long as it's fast draining that having it in more organic soil won't hurt it. Some never put it in bonsai soil. I am a northern...and never wintered mine as of yet. But, I have a grow light ready for it...and expect leaf drop and sulking when brought indoors.

I know these are known for ones tossing them out...while they are sulking and not really dead. So...if your aware of their finickiness...I think your a step above the game. I wish you good luck...mine has yet to sulk...but, it's not been brought indoors either. But it did change sceneries and location recently. And never skipped a beat.

Thanks, that sounds really full of useful info and tips, unfortunately I don't really understand your English. I'll work on that :)

That's going to make a nice little exposed root bonsai someday. Very nice find!

Thanks Vin, exposed roots are the spirit! :D

Ha. HA HA. ANOTHER serissa sucker ;-)...Sorry. couldn't resist. These are a definite pain in the ass in colder climates. They're pretty trees, make decent bonsai if you're willing to put up with (or can figure out) their needs. There are a few on this board who have. Mellow Mullet is on the right path.

BUT, in the end---have you ever seen an example of serissa bonsai that has a trunk more than two inches in diameter? There's a reason for those being so hard to find...

I'll say :p and may be :p
:)
You know what? I paid $10 for this little guy.
So $10 + already nice nebari, who's the sucker now :)
And anyway my goal isn't to bring this guy to a more than 2" diameter trunk but to a more than 1' diameter exposed roots volcano shaped nebari ;)

Reactions: Vin

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
FWIW, I had several good friends in the bonsai nursery business. They had quite a few large to huge serissa, but they have a greenhouse.

I'm still on the fence about the "nebari" on this plant. It's not really that so much as three plants intertwined. If it were mine, I'd eliminate some of it.

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
FWIW, I had several good friends in the bonsai nursery business. They had quite a few large to huge serissa, but they have a greenhouse.

I'm still on the fence about the "nebari" on this plant. It's not really that so much as three plants intertwined. If it were mine, I'd eliminate some of it.

I don't know what 'FWIW' means.
I never said it will be easy and no, I don't plan to built a greenhouse. If it dies due to a lack of it, well, so be it.
Otherwise no they aren't 3 plants intertwined, it's a single trunk but you can't see it on the picture because of the leaves in front.

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
ok, I just got it, 'for what it's worth' right? :)

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know what 'FWIW' means.
I never said it will be easy and no, I don't plan to built a greenhouse. If it dies due to a lack of it, well, so be it.
Otherwise no they aren't 3 plants intertwined, it's a single trunk but you can't see it on the picture because of the leaves in front.
No need to get snarly. Just pointing out that where you see a good nebari, I see a root mass that needs some thoughtful editing. To each his own.

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
No need to get snarly. Just pointing out that where you see a good nebari, I see a root mass that needs some thoughtful editing. To each his own.

I don't think I was snarly (whatever that means, google translate doesn't translate that). I didn't want to say that it's a good nebari, I was just saying that's it's a pretty good start for a $10 tree and that you were the 1st one being snarly with your 'serissa sucker' remark (because I'm pretty sure that was snarly ;) )

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nah. Wasn't meant to be. I've killed a few of these myself. Gave up. Couldn't get the hang of it. Too wet, too dry, too cold, not enough light. Leaf drop. Fungus, mold...Couldn't take having sad little trees around me reminding me how badly I was caring for them.

Your mileage may vary though. Some people have the knack for them.

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
D&L Nursery's tree at EPCOT this year (photo by Adam Lavigne)
img_1376.jpg

EDIT - They have some other nice big ones at their nursery, but I don't have photos of any of those on hand.

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nah. Wasn't meant to be. I've killed a few of these myself. Gave up. Couldn't get the hang of it. Too wet, too dry, too cold, not enough light. Leaf drop. Fungus, mold...Couldn't take having sad little trees around me reminding me how badly I was caring for them.

Your mileage may vary though. Some people have the knack for them.

No problem at all! :)
But seriously, what does 'snarly' mean?!

In fact as I said in my initial post I didn't know they were such a pain in the ass, I just realized that when I started to read about them, well we'll see. Won't be the first tree I kill that's for sure! :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom