My oak will NOT drop its leaves.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
This 2 1/2 year old oak was completely defoliated a couple months ago and all this extension is since then.

There are a LOT of new branches I want either gone or shorter.
The weather appears to be headed for very mild through the end of the season and I have little hope of leaf fall now.

Should I let it go longer before any pruning or do it now?
oak extension.JPG
Question 2:

I want to get it out of that grow pot and put it in something a bit prettier.
Will a "too deep" pot continue to act as a sorta grow pot? The surface dimensions would look good with the tree but it will definitely be too deep.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I have found that valley oaks in CA only drop leaves if they get a good hard frost. At my Inlaws in gold country, theirs do. Here on the SF coast mine dont ever change period.

Barefoot Dave

Seedling
Reaction score
This 2 1/2 year old oak was completely defoliated a couple months ago and all this extension is since then.

There are a LOT of new branches I want either gone or shorter.
The weather appears to be headed for very mild through the end of the season and I have little hope of leaf fall now.

Should I let it go longer before any pruning or do it now?
View attachment 273645
Question 2:

I want to get it out of that grow pot and put it in something a bit prettier.
Will a "too deep" pot continue to act as a sorta grow pot? The surface dimensions would look good with the tree but it will definitely be too deep.
Snip off all the leave that you want to now. It won't mind a bit.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Is there a reason why you are stressing? I've helped defoliate ones with late fall foliage that was spent. Others still holding on I wait until later in winter to do it. Just to make sure they are deep dormant. With our weird weather. Some show later dormancy. I would hate to defoliate and it not be dormant and cause it to push a new flush.

I'm shocked at the small foliage on this one. Out oak have HUGE leaves in my neck of the woods.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Is there a reason why you are stressing? I've helped defoliate ones with late fall foliage that was spent. Others still holding on I wait until later in winter to do it. Just to make sure they are deep dormant. With our weird weather. Some show later dormancy. I would hate to defoliate and it not be dormant and cause it to push a new flush.

I'm shocked at the small foliage on this one. Out oak have HUGE leaves in my neck of the woods.
This one did too after the FIRST defoliation in spring.
It's one vigorous grower. 2" nursery bonsai "starter' 2 years ago.
Don't know species but guess robur.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It will when it is time. Don't remove or trees Spring energy will be stolen. Personally have 2 first year Georgia Oak seedlings from acorns planted in pot 11/18 which have leaves green as can be even after several nights in the 20so_O. Didn't think was supposed to be evergreen, just rare.

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think a tree holding on to its leaves isn’t as bad as a tree that already has next springs foliage. Seasons are all scrambled and the trees don’t know how to cope.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think a tree holding on to its leaves isn’t as bad as a tree that already has next springs foliage. Seasons are all scrambled and the trees don’t know how to cope.

Huh? Fall/Winter always sucks, Spring/Summer always good. What's scrambled:confused:?

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Oaks generally hold onto leaves. We see oaks holding onto leaves clear through winter, even though oaks here are obviously decidous. Your tree hasnt gone dormant yet. I wouldnt worry about it unless it starts pushing new growth. Are buds set for spring on it?

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I will echo what metalhead says, you can drive down the road here in Georgia and see oaks with 100% of their leaves gone and than 1/4 mile later see a bunch with a mixture of green and brown leaves hanging on. I let nature take its course.

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Oaks are smart, they know what to do, let them be......

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Oaks generally hold onto leaves. We see oaks holding onto leaves clear through winter, even though oaks here are obviously decidous. Your tree hasnt gone dormant yet. I wouldnt worry about it unless it starts pushing new growth. Are buds set for spring on it?
Yes although some are quite dinky.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yeah, its not ready to drop its leaves yet. Its still using them to generate energy for bud development.

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
If youre growing Quercus robur -English Oak in your California climate it probably doesnt even realise its winter yet!!
Also as you defoliated it earlier this year the second flush of leaves(lammas growth) will tend not to fall due to marcescence which occurs due to partially formed abscission layers stopping the leaves from detaching in late autumn/early winter

Top Bottom