My old SCOTS nemesis. Getting worried........again....

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Yep, back to this guy. The furnace of 100-110 has quit but I fear some real damage has happened.
A week or so ago (maybe too late) I started moving the tree under the bench and out of the sun.
I think it is still pretty bad.

Needles are ...mostly.. fastened in pretty hard but more and more are drying and pulling too easily.

typical branch.JPG

worries.JPG

good and bad needles.JPG

bad stuff.JPG

Various stuff.JPG

The roots ...seem... to take water as they darken with watering.

Large root water.JPG

smaller roots.JPG

Last edited:

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
On a somewhat brighter note, there is ...some.... good left.

I scratched a branch and there is some green cambium

greeniish cambium.JPG

The top of the tree is ....iffish.

TOP.JPG

Newer buds are hopeful

nicer newish  buds.JPG

Some typical branches that seem ....pretty good.

Misc branches.JPG

I think I know what to do next year. I don't plan to ....allow.... it to stay in such terrible heat.
Nothing over high 80's to mid 90.

???

And for pines, I plan to stick with JBP and other trees are gonna be deciduous.

JBP.JPG

Anyone care to venture an opinion on whether it is too late to save it this year?

:confused:

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Its not looking happy Mike. That cambium is not a good color at all, nor are the needles.
Almost looks to me like it didnt get enough water or it just shut down from the heat.

I dont know if its too late or not, but I would be very careful with it.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm voting heat.

heat and lack of water are not necessarily mutually exclusive.
If the tree shut down and didnt or couldnt get the water it needed, it could cause what you are seeing

In any case Im sorry your tree is suffering

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
No tree grows at temperatures above 95F and tissues are definitely dying above 115F.
They do not 'shut down' above 95F. They just burn carbohydrates faster than they can be made - they are on a crash diet and not growing.
Roots start having trouble before then. I've repeatedly suggested that one stick a meat thermometer probe, amongst the roots, in the substrate to be sure that the roots are kept well below 95F. It soars when the substrate gets dry! Keeping a wet towel over the pot is the simplest practical remedy. Partial shade is another.

IOW, @Mike Corazzi, I suspect that your p. sylvestris' roots got fried.

Now, I think you need to limit root temperatures and give it morning sun.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
No tree grows at temperatures above 95F and tissues are definitely dying above 115F.
They do not 'shut down' above 95F. They just burn carbohydrates faster than they can be made - they are on a crash diet and not growing.
Roots start having trouble before then. I've repeatedly suggested that one stick a meat thermometer probe, amongst the roots, in the substrate to be sure that the roots are kept well below 95F. It soars when the substrate gets dry! Keeping a wet towel over the pot is the simplest practical remedy. Partial shade is another.

IOW, @Mike Corazzi, I suspect that your p. sylvestris' roots got fried.

Now, I think you need to limit root temperatures and give it morning sun.
It's set for morning sun right now. Actually always is. No real way to regulate heat but will add wet towel tomorrow. Thanks.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I'm preparing to lose it. I'm also determined to avoid ANY tree that this is the wrong climate for.
I got a pleasant surprise from my junipers this year so I'll let that be my focus.
This Scots has had problems for 20+ years.
It ....could.... live through the winter and set buds again. It would be a surprise and, like this year, the buds would be left ON.

And..... the tree will find SHADE next summer.
Shit, I'm talking like .... I .... will be around next summer. :rolleyes:

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I'm throwing in the wet towel. Getting ready to put in ground. Not ground growing.....burial.
I am close to positive it has pushed its last candle, backed its last bud, and had its final single flush.

Sad, really, When I got it 20-25 years ago, I had no idea it was a SCOTS pine and didn't know species anyway.
It's lived a hard life. From busted pot to searing heat, this pine is NOT for the California central valley..

I'll miss it . 😢

(I'm waiting probably in vain just to SEE if winter perks it up or not. I don't expect improvement but will give it its last shot)

Top Bottom