My parsons juniper thread

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I got 2 of these today. I'm wanting to document what I do and learn from it. In the past I haven't had much luck with conifers and juniper. So for $18 I decided to give it a go.
With me learning and maybe some guidance from yall nice folk maybe I can have a tree im proud of.
20220423_180711.jpg20220423_180759.jpg

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It was quite dry when I got it so I gave the foliage and the roots a drink of water. I clipped the small dead branches and thats about it for today. The drainage was ok but not the best. It does have so.e yellowing on the sides im guessing that was where it was shoved up agenst each other. It does have some good new growth.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That’s a sweet juniper score! I’m looking forward to seeing what you can do with this one.

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Started work on this one today. All I did is clip the dead twigs out and anything growing on the bottom of the branches and new growth in the crotches. Added some wire. Any thoughts?

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The one limb in the front is wired down didnt want to clip it yet. I just wanted to get it out of the way to see how it would look

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Here is #2 again clipped the dead twigs and new growth in the crotches. This one i shortned the branches some and used some wire. I did clip the branch on the bottom of the branch very close to the soil. The apex is a little high. Ran out of thicker wire.

Before. 20220423_180523.jpg

After.
20220424_172207.jpg

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Here is one of the 4 I got. Its a mess but it still has some growing to do and still needs some wire.20220515_182346.jpg20220515_182420.jpg20220515_182319.jpg

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Consider natural twisted convoluted Junipers as example. Such did not happen by regimented formulaic pruning. In whacking off all bottom branches possible natural future movement is removed along with better personality/less wire for tree🤨. Personally have found such branches(or twigs)of great value several times😌. When bending time is correct consider small twigs/branches value for future and begin bending at early stage when easy to do. At same time consider if wanting bigger trunk to be developing sacrifice growth. Also do not consider any Bonsai pot if wanting to grow bigger trunk but instead growing box or ground.

Last edited:
Top Bottom