My pomegranate collection

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@bonhe in your experience how thick of a cutting can you get away from a pomegranate?
I believe there is no limit! ? I used to make a few big cuttings with their diameters about 13” with great success! You just have to know the time of the year and post cutting care. That’s it! Very easy ! ?

Hi Bonhe,

What's the brand of organic Chicken manure fertilizer do you use? Thanks
I have been using this brand
660ED567-36A0-46C7-A48A-4642B2767A34.jpeg

Thụ Thoại

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Chicken manure - especially fresh from the chicken, will contain moderate to significant amounts of Calcium, from the crushed oyster shells or limestone used as chicken grit. Good for junipers, most pines, most Malus. Bad for azalea and blueberry and Ericaceous plants.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is going to rain tonight here! :) I pruned and cleaned up for 4 pomegranates today.
3 of them are so big and heavy, so I had to use Hoyer lift and hydraulic cart to help me in transport them !
IMG_0351.jpg IMG_0352.jpg

Before
IMG_0355.jpg

All the long shoots were cut back to 2 - 3 nodes depending on the areas.
All the suckers at the ground surface were cut off.
Before
IMG_0363.jpg

after
IMG_0364.jpg
I have been thinking of this phenomenon for years. It makes me wonder if apical dominance really occurs in the pomegranate or I should consider pomegranate has inferior dominance!?! :rolleyes:. I recognize that the upper parts of the pomegranate is not strong as the lower parts!

Finished work
IMG_0365.jpg IMG_0366.jpg IMG_0368.jpg
Thụ Thoại

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
this one is biggest !
before
IMG_0373.jpg

The twine was used to keep this tree in the pot during transplanting a year ago.
IMG_0376.jpg

After
IMG_0378.jpg
Thụ Thoại

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Those look amazing! ? makes that little oak I showed you look like child’s play lol
hehehee, You should not feel bad, because the size is not judged for bonsai quality! :)
Thụ Thoại

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
and this is the Revered Teacher after pruning.
1-5-19.JPG

The 3 big are ready for another year! :)
IMG_0397.jpg
I will do more work on other pomegranates if the weather is cooperated with me tomorrow!
Thụ Thoại

Last edited:

Toshi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
and this is the Revered Teacher after pruning.
View attachment 222471

All the long shoots were cut back to 2 - 3 nodes depending on the areas.
All the suckers at the ground surface were cut off.
Before

Thụ Thoại

Do you let your suckers harden off before removing them? Your January and my January are very different ????

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you let your suckers harden off before removing them? Your January and my January are very different ????
Excellent question!
It depends on what the purpose of delayed removal. If you want to let the trunk base is getting big fast, then you should delay the sucker removal as long as you could. I apply this on tamarix, pomegranate, olive, flowering quince. With the pine, many time we can see a lot of small weak branches emerging out from the lower trunk, I also keep these branches as long as I could with the same principle.
If the tree is weak, I remove all the suckers as soon as I find them.
Thụ Thoại

Toshi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Excellent question!
It depends on what the purpose of delayed removal. If you want to let the trunk base is getting big fast, then you should delay the sucker removal as long as you could. I apply this on tamarix, pomegranate, olive, flowering quince. With the pine, many time we can see a lot of small weak branches emerging out from the lower trunk, I also keep these branches as long as I could with the same principle.
If the tree is weak, I remove all the suckers as soon as I find them.
Thụ Thoại

I appreciate your input as always, thank you.

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I might have missed the answer since there's 12 freakin pages to comb through!:p I kept mine outside this winter and it's been mild so far. I only bring it in into a cold space if night temp goes below 27f. And put it back outside following morning.

Question is: How many weeks/months do your pomagranites stay dormant (leafleass)? Should I have it dormant as long as the others and it would still stay healthy? I read they don't require long dormancy as other D trees.

TIA. Hope to have this figured out so I can get one as nice as yours someday.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Microscopic,

Question is: How many weeks/months do your pomagranites stay dormant (leafleass)?

About 12 weeks (from mid-November till mid- February.

Should I have it dormant as long as the others and it would still stay healthy? I read they don't require long dormancy as other D trees.
I don't have experience in your area, but for mine, 12 weeks is enough.

TIA. Hope to have this figured out so I can get one as nice as yours someday.
You will!
Thụ Thoại

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Best pomegranates around! Thanks for keeping us updated. And thanks for the rain coming our way!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I shal not be jealous
I shall not be jealous
I shale not be .. Oh forget it.
I am jealous.

Great pomegranates! I collected a large shrub some 3 weeks ago. When I got home I realized this was one of those "6 cuttings put in a pot and planted 10 years ago" plants and the nice clum I had in mind fell apart in individual sticks. Happy to see your teacher tree there, because it gives a suggestion for mine.

Love these. Hope some of mine will survive the prutal treatment I gave them!

Top Bottom