My pomegranate collection

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This small pomegranate is almost in full bloom at this time.
IMG_7399.jpg IMG_7400.jpg

Its sepal number
IMG_7402.jpg IMG_7403.jpg

Its sepal number is different with other pomegranate in the garden. This is the first time I recognize this difference! I have to find out why is that!
IMG_7405.jpg
Bonhe

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
This is so nice! The colour is so bright!
@bonhe would you agree that new stems/branches of Pomegranate are very thin and they take too long to gain some girth?

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is so nice! The colour is so bright!
@bonhe would you agree that new stems/branches of Pomegranate are very thin and they take too long to gain some girth?
Thank you.
It depends my Nellie. Most of new shoots in the lowest part can grow fast and big if you let them grow freely. It is completely different with the apical dominance in the conifers!
Bonhe

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This tree had a lot of long upward shoots today. I put them down through "soft breaking" tech. I lost the pre- picture!
Post-bend
IMG_7682.jpg IMG_7685.jpg

Multiple layer flowers
IMG_7684.jpg

Bonhe

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
This photo with the one and only flower reminds me some verses of a Greek song :)

Title of the song : The photograph

The photo black and white
he had half a smile
the lady on his right side
and on his chest a talisman

With an open carnation
on his heart's side
the children of every neighborhood
will aim and scar

.... ... ... ...
.... ... ... ...

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Please let me know if it is OK in the future.. I think your area is much hotter than mine, and I never tried to use pure pumice for pomegranate
Hi @bonhe Just an update with the pomegranate in total pumice. Tree is doing great. Heavy blooms and great growth where I applied your bending technique. I lost one branch because there were so many blooms the bend became a break. Just getting into some serious heat will post again next month. Do recomend removing blooms?
20180604_063604.jpg
20180604_063750.jpg
Thanks for posting!

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This photo with the one and only flower reminds me some verses of a Greek song :)

Title of the song : The photograph

The photo black and white
he had half a smile
the lady on his right side
and on his chest a talisman

With an open carnation
on his heart's side
the children of every neighborhood
will aim and scar

.... ... ... ...
.... ... ... ...
Very nine ! Thanks for sharing.
Bonhe

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi @bonhe Just an update with the pomegranate in total pumice. Tree is doing great. Heavy blooms and great growth where I applied your bending technique. I lost one branch because there were so many blooms the bend became a break. Just getting into some serious heat will post again next month. Do recomend removing blooms?
View attachment 195302
View attachment 195303
Thanks for posting!
Thank you for updating. May be more stress more flowers! It is up to you to decide if flower buds needed a removal. I like to watch flowers, so I keep every flower bud even though it might weak that branch !
Bonhe

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These 2 big pomegranate were needed to be trimmed back today. I used my soft breaking tech for them 2 months ago. I should trim them back now
Before
IMG_7752.jpg

After
IMG_7768.jpg
Bonhe

RileyJFDB13

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hey Bonhe out of curiosity what do you use to keep you pomegranetes healthy and fungus free? Thanks!

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Bonhe out of curiosity what do you use to keep you pomegranetes healthy and fungus free? Thanks!
I đo not water the leaves.
I use organic and slow released chemical fertilizers
Bonhe

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I đo not water the leaves.
I use organic and slow released chemical fertilizers
Bonhe
So ----What do you do when it rains? In nature what happens when these trees do get rain/ aka the leaves get wet? This has always been my problem with people who claim they do not like getting the leaves wet on their bonsai. To me this does not make sense.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So ----What do you do when it rains? In nature what happens when these trees do get rain/ aka the leaves get wet? This has always been my problem with people who claim they do not like getting the leaves wet on their bonsai. To me this does not make sense.
Because RileyJFD813 is living in the dry, hot area liked mine, I answered his questions like that. If I lived in humid and hot area, my answer would be more. I would reduce the "risky area" as much as I could. The "risky areas" are the one in the lower and inner parts of the tree. As you might know, the fungus happily lives in the humid, dark and warm areas!!!!
Bonhe

Toshi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Wow you have some absolutely breathtaking trees, please keep sharing. I'm forever perplexed as to whether or not pomegranate is a tropical or deciduous specimen.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow you have some absolutely breathtaking trees, please keep sharing. I'm forever perplexed as to whether or not pomegranate is a tropical or deciduous specimen.
Thank you.
Pomegranate never drops all of the leaves at one in the tropical area.
Bonhe

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
@bonhe Hope you don't mind if I ask you a question about dwarf pomegranates (Punica Granatum nana).
I recently bought a plant from nursery. It seems there are 2 trunks, in a very small pot filled with soil. Lots of branches, leaves, flowers and 2-3 fruits on them. Next spring I plan to transfer them to a fast draining inorganic substrate, and I just wanted to know how tolerant are they about root pruning. I expect the rootball to be a mess of tangled roots and it will be difficult to remove all the old soil, so before going to work it is better to know how aggressive can I prune.
Many thanks!
IMG_20180830_162913.jpg

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@bonhe Hope you don't mind if I ask you a question about dwarf pomegranates (Punica Granatum nana).
I recently bought a plant from nursery. It seems there are 2 trunks, in a very small pot filled with soil. Lots of branches, leaves, flowers and 2-3 fruits on them. Next spring I plan to transfer them to a fast draining inorganic substrate, and I just wanted to know how tolerant are they about root pruning. I expect the rootball to be a mess of tangled roots and it will be difficult to remove all the old soil, so before going to work it is better to know how aggressive can I prune.
Many thanks!
View attachment 208042
Congratulations to your new plant.
Pomegranate is tolerated well with heavy root pruning, even with barefoot !
Instead of transplanting in Spring, you should do it in Fall if it is possible for you. For me, Fall is the best. Next one will be the end of winter, when the buds are swollen up.
P/s: please do some cutting when you transplant the tree, so you will have more trees in the future .
Thụ Thoại

Top Bottom