My pomegranate collection

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I forgot to write. Keep at least few leaves for transplant is extremely important for pomegranate when its rootage was severely cut, especially for cutting!
IMG_9324.jpg
Thụ Thoại

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I had time to transplant the tree on post # 198 this morning.
Its rootage.
View attachment 213352

It has a big root with other smaller roots.
View attachment 213353 View attachment 213354

The big root was shortened. I had to use a big handsaw to cut it. It is a change to study the pomegranate's root system.
View attachment 213355 View attachment 213356

The tree was stabilized in the clay pot with twine.
View attachment 213357

Done. As you can see. I am using a big pot to build up the tree's strength for training later on.
View attachment 213358
Thụ Thoại
Do you think the roots grew that way because only select ones grew into the ground and those were the ones that thickened?

Very nice progression of your pomegranates! Definitely need to keep my eye out for one in the future

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@ConorDash As you now own a Punica, i think you'll find this thread and @bonhe's work of interest:cool:
Thanks, I’ll have a read. Mine is just young stock though at this point lol, I need to forget about it for a few years.
It is in a pond basket, hopefully the holes in the sides will help. It’s lost all leaves now I believe.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks, I’ll have a read. Mine is just young stock though at this point lol, I need to forget about it for a few years.
It is in a pond basket, hopefully the holes in the sides will help. It’s lost all leaves now I believe.
To let the pomegranate grow fast, one should put it into the big pot . It’s rootage is needed to have a stable temperature environment for it to grow.
Thụ Thoại

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
To let the pomegranate grow fast, one should put it into the big pot . It’s rootage is needed to have a stable temperature environment for it to grow.
Thụ Thoại

Thanks. Either that or I’d like to plant it in the ground.. needs a good few years of fattening.

Toshi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I always look forward to your posts, thanks for sharing. Do you bring any of your poms indoor at any point or is your winter relatively mild?

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I always look forward to your posts, thanks for sharing. Do you bring any of your poms indoor at any point or is your winter relatively mild?
Thanks.
Because the average temperature is about 45 degrees of F in winter, I let all of my trees outside.
Thụ Thoại

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This one has less leaves now.
504DBE5D-06C6-49CE-8C65-FD87B79A4FEA.jpeg

It shows more skeletons. You can see the effects of the breaking technique done in last spring and summer ( the arrows pointing to)
2C1F2C41-0B69-42D4-B9AC-446316AD80B7.jpeg EEC8B14B-E59B-4A88-B619-BF765A12D992.jpeg
Thụ Thoại

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
To let the pomegranate grow fast, one should put it into the big pot... ...
I think I have to repot my small Punica group planting into a big pot next spring.
I am waiting for the branches to thicken two years now but in vain....

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think I have to repot my small Punica group planting into a big pot next spring.
I am waiting for the branches to thicken two years now but in vain....
If you have Púnica granatum Nana, it grows very slow. Putting it in bigger pot will help it grow faster.
Thụ Thoại

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thank you Thụ Thoại,
I don't know the exact variety/species. Nonetheless I will put it in a bigger pot anyway.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I might say that it gives a feeling like it's suffocating into a triangular cage...
Is it the tree on post #104?
You are completely right! This tree is one of the first materials which I practiced when I just liked this hobby.
Yes, it is the tree in post #104
Thụ Thoại

sierrajuniper

Sapling
Reaction score
Hi Bonhe,

What's the brand of organic Chicken manure fertilizer do you use? Thanks

Top Bottom