ela2292

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Attatched is my tree about a year ago when I bought it. Its been very healthy up until this weather change. I don't keep it outside because of how chilly it is, but it stays in the window and is watered when the soil feels dry.

Within the past month since it's gotten colder my poor little bonsai has been getting worse. The roots dont look like they have rot, but there are little bugs that show up now and again.

I went out and got a grow light thinking maybe it's not getting the light it needs, and I'm too scared to repot it or give it plant food because I dont know what exactly to give it, and I don't want to shock the plant into it's final days.
Any ideas what I could be doing wrong ?

Attachments

• 0117161254.jpg
    0117161254.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 86
  • 20151004_121049.jpg
    20151004_121049.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

Geo

Chumono
Reaction score
Todos Santos,Baja Sur Elev56M 23.46N 110.24W
USDA Zone
11+
What species is your "poor little bonsai"? What is the temperature at the window. Where are you located? Put that location info in your profile.What substrate is it in? Welcome to the forum.

ela2292

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
What species is your "poor little bonsai"? What is the temperature at the window. Where are you located? Put that location info in your profile.What substrate is it in? Welcome to the forum.

Located in Virginia, temp stays around 60-65 at the window. When it's on the table it gets light from 2 windows on the south side of the house.
The nursery said it was a juniper, but there was a bonsai farm here in the area I took it to and he called it a fukien tea. He also repotted it for us with his own mixture. It was very hard to understand him ..

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It's just pouting because it's indoors and isn't getting outdoor conditions. It beats the alternative of leaving it outside and killing it.

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My wife's likes to be wetter indoors than out. It seems to like being sprayed with 1/4 strength miracle grow when indoor.
Also try to keep it warmer around 70 is where ours is.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Located in Virginia, temp stays around 60-65 at the window. When it's on the table it gets light from 2 windows on the south side of the house.
The nursery said it was a juniper, but there was a bonsai farm here in the area I took it to and he called it a fukien tea. He also repotted it for us with his own mixture. It was very hard to understand him ..
It's actually a ligustrum sinense. Man you just can't get a good i.d. on this thing, good thing you came here. Oh and welcome to the nuthouse.

Aaron

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

ela2292

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thank you guys so much! Definitely going to try the miracle grow and the grow light.
Any idea how to rid our little guy of the bugs ?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Over the years I have discovered an axiom concerning bonsai: If you want to have you tree infested with bugs keep it indoors, if it does not belong there.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Welcome to the forum, i hope he makes it. I think it's rootbound and got too wet (but im a noob so don't listen to me). Btw, never feed sick tree's.

Top Bottom