My Portulacarias

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
So here are my interpretations of portulacaria. I like these "trees" because they have no real natural style of their own (as far as I can tell from pics, unless "mess" is a style) so they are a blank canvas. And they respond well to pinching back. I tend to grow them like pines because they can make nice foliage pads.

Here is the mama tree
IMG_4687.JPG
It was purchased on eBay an unknown number of years ago. I've been waiting to post it up as it's been recovering from spider mites over the winter, and recovery is slow because it needs repotting. So the foliage is not as dense as I would like. The root base is not ideal but I can live with it, and the foliage pads need work, work, work. I like the dry river bed pot from Dale Cochoy with it. Here is a much better quality pic from 2012.
IMG_0020.JPG
It's mostly been pinch and grow, pinch and grow in the interim with ongoing branch selection.

Here is a small one that was created from the former first branch of the first tree. I like the foliage density here, but the branches need to elongate a bit more to get better pad definition. It would likely look better without the middle half-assed trunk, but I like it for now and will keep working it to see if I can make it work.
IMG_4684.JPG
IMG_4685.JPG

Here a completely different tree originally purchased from Meehan's.
IMG_4686.JPG
This has undergone a number of style changes and had a few large branches removed in the process to get to this point. It is also notable for it being an experiment in how large a cutting can be made from these guys. The nebari was awful initially, so I simply sliced it off of the 1.5" trunk, let it dry for a week, and potted it up like I would with any cutting of this species. I haven't uncovered the new nebari yet, but it obviously survived.

I find that these plants have no aversion to water, as long as a fresh cut is not exposed to it. After drying cuttings I put the base of the them right down against the bottom of a pan with a couple of drainage holes, filled with fine chicken grit, then water well and often. The grit is soggy with water, the roots grow radially and flat against the bottom of the pan, and I have lots of plants to play with as a result. I will wire these up and give them as gifts to non-bonsai people who think they want to try the hobby. They are not valuable, have potential to be nice in the right hands, and have a better chance of surviving than a real tree.

Last edited:

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Thanks. I really enjoy working with this species truth be told. Also there is nothing like a cold, hard, 2d pic to show just how raggedy a tree is looking lol. Particularly the first one. It needs some repotting, trunk angle adjusting, and branch adjusting love!

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Portulacaria are under appreciated. I didn't know this myself till recently but they handle defoliation very well. Typically you end up with lots of new branching in response to defoliating. They make really interesting mame plants since they don't dry out very quickly. Overall they are very fun little plants!

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
They take patience to make a good show of it. You can cut a branch back beyond foliage and be reasonably certain it will eventually bud out. If you consistently pinch back - I let three pairs of leaves grow then pinch back to one - and give plenty of sunlight they will create tiny bb like internodes and pretty good ramification since they often produce two buds after this. They develop slowly like this but steadily.

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
I recently found out you can eat em!

Say whaaaat? Fresh? In a salad? Sautéed? Just the leaves, or do you peel the trunk? Have you tried them? Are they tasty? They are elephant bushes because elephants like to eat the, so I suppose that means they are not likely poisonous, but it doesn't mean they taste good.

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Holy crap! I googled if they are edible and apparently yes. Somebody juiced it. Bonsai juice?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sometimes the C in AAC means culinary!

I think 50% of Leo's diet is bonsai, was bonsai, can be bonsai, or a bonsai accent plant!

Sorce

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Well, I tried probably 7-8 leaves trying to develop a taste for them, but ...

They have an interesting sort of mildly bitter bite or tang initially, not completely unpleasant, but after that there isn't much to them. If I was an elephant and didn't have, say, Mexican food, I could maybe get kind of excited about them. But as things stand I think my bonsai are safe.

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
EEF5254D-9A77-47ED-AA19-D30C78076623.jpeg Here is a pic at end of summer showing it filled in a bit more. It’s not much different but I’m posting this as a memorial as I woke this am to find the damned cats had knocked it off the kitchen counter onto the lantana I had recently posted in the “Flowers” thread. This tree’s trunk was broken about 2/3 up hanging by the wire and a thread of bark. The lantana lost most of its branches. I wired the trunk back in place but I’m sure it’s toast. Don’t know what to say other than the universe has shown itself to be stunningly adept at punishing me for trying lately. More of the same. It’s just a damned tree and not a great one at that.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry to hear, that was a nice tree. I had one many years ago that my cat killed too. And these things are supposed to be impossible to kill o_O

I've always been curious about these - any special care during the winter? Do they need a lot of light? I don't want tropicals because I don't want to invest in the lighting, extra humidity, etc., but it would be fun to work with something during the winter season.

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Win some, lose some......:(:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Yeah I used to think I understood how probability worked too. I’ve been given reason to question it.

They need a fair amount of light to put on much growth. I think they will grow with lower light but they seem to need to lose a lot of leaves first and regrow them, such that by the time the have adapted and begun to regrow winter is over. So there isn’t much work to be done unless you have greenhouse conditions.

Given the nature of this plant, assuming a miracle doesn’t occur and the broken ends fuse, I will be able to make a smaller tree out of the top part, and I will probably attempt to raise a new leader on the bottom part. It will take another ten years to get anything decent from either assuming there is potential to begin with. And the lantana wasn’t doing much either. This is a bad time of year for this as both are going into a non-growing period, so I will have to wait until spring to see what will happen, giving broken ends too much time to dry out. Oh well. Such is life it seems.

Reaction score
On my side they grow pretty quickly.

From cutting to 2-3 cm trunk width in one year

Top Bottom