My pots & introduction

junpepper

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hello! I recently joined the site and wanted to introduce myself and my pots. I've been working with clay for a few years now, and most of the time anything I make ends up with a drainage hole because I'm always thinking about plants. Most of my work is handbuilt and organic looking, though I do hop on the potter's wheel from time to time.

I look forward to seeing what trees people are working on, as well as pot and plant pairings, and always happy to talk clay.

etsy.com/shop/marcomakesart/

leggy2.jpg stripe.jpg leggy.jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Welcome to BNut.

We have a "For Sale" sub forum, all members are welcome to sell wares there. In terms of this post, it is in the appropriate place, the "Pots" forum.

Look at the photos of bonsai pots and trees, and the pots the trees are in. You will see there are some common features to the styles of pots.

Usually the pots are subdued, subordinate to the tree. The pot should not distract attention away from the tree. Glazes either contrast with or compliment the one of the colors that the owner wants to highlight in the tree. The pot helps set the scene, representing the earth, or where the tree is growing. Or the pot can simply set the tree apart from the table the tree is on. The simple geometric designs the Japanese in particular use serve not as "earth" but to separate the tree from the table.

Your pots are interesting, your glazes are subdued enough for bonsai. Most of your pots imaged are better suited for houseplants, cacti and other plantings. They are too "clunky" for most bonsai styles.

I am not trying to be harsh, use the photos in the BNut forum to learn what features would make for good bonsai pots. You clearly have the skill. Experiment with creating lighter designs, with shorter feet. I'm sure you could make some designs that will get some of our members interested in your pots.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Cool! You found “your own” style.... this is half the journey.

Those are pretty small eh? Judging by the particulate in the raw clay.

What kind if clay do you use?

Do you glaze greenware?

I’d go like 4-5 more BRUSH-on coats (if that’s what you are doing) of glaze... gain some continuity.

I enjoy your style..

Can’t wait to see you push the “parameters”

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Just a tip....

When posting close up pictures of pots like in your pics it's hard to visualize the actual size of the pot. You should try to include an object that one can use to help determine it's size. In your pics I cannot tell if the pots are big or small.......I just see a pot.

I like the glaze, is it an ash glaze?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Welcome to the site!

I would also recommend including at least two photos - one from the front and one from the bottom (or top) showing drainage. You will not find a group more anal about their pots than bonsai people. If you are using a highly contrasting or variable glaze, I would even recommend photos from all sides so that we could see the various options to use as a front.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All good points here. They are a bit clunky perhaps, but I like the quirky legs on the first pot.
From another potter, you will find several of us here.

Top Bottom