My procumbens cascade with browning tips

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
BTW...this yew is also displaying an issue, which I like to think of as freeze damage the cascade
was protected from, but we all know yew are very cold hardy.
DSC_6289.JPG

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Unrelated to the yew
but another piece of information that probably isn't noteworthy
but I'll throw it out there anyway...

...7-10 days ago I began removing some moss on the trunk and the beginning of the cascade.
I got a lid and put some white 5% vinegar in it and had at the moss with a toothbrush.
1619721347733.png

1619721409474.png
Referring back to these pictures reminded me of that, as the moss is now dead and looks like dirt.
Probably just a coincidence...but all info is good when trying to diagnose.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It could definitely be tip blight. I would treat with Mancozeb
Already ordered it, should be here tomorrow.

Now, with that said Dave, would it be prudent to pot it up this year?
I would think not.

Again, would it be prudent to begin thinning now, (if not repotting) exposing each cut to possible fungi?
Again, I think not, but this is my 1st tip blight rodeo. Even if I'd treated it before I still would be leery of
working on it at this point.
Thanks for having a look and suggestions.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
The presence of a mild fungal issue wouldn’t change my plans for the tree. If it’s due for a repot, I’d repot it. It wouldn’t affect my plans for pruning in the future either.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
An early June update
Still a bit of yellow in last couple yrs growth or so (wood not lignified), but has put on a good 2nd growth
beginning with the first fish emulsion and superthrive feed.

DSC_6510.JPG DSC_6504.JPG DSC_6505.JPG DSC_6506.JPG DSC_6507.JPG DSC_6508.JPG DSC_6509.JPG
Haven't received the pot yet, so I plan to do that next year which should play well into wiring it this year.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Did you hit it with Mancozeb?
Once yes, as well as Infuse granules.
I tweezed out all the brown tips I could find, which was intensive or very tedious.
I need to get more dirt out of the crown of the root ball next time, water slowed last year
and I'm on the fence with a Summer repot. I've done it with procumbens just fine, but it's out of my norm.
I'm a Spring baby. Haven't heard from @sorce in a while...

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Haven't heard from @sorce in a while...

I been cleaning the house with a toothbrush and designing my pond the last couple weeks, while keeping my fingers crossed this house purchase goes through, then it's 110%.

I have managed to make so many promises with "bonsai patience" as an unspoken stipulation, I am going to make a thread to pull all these folks out of the woodwork when I have ground to walk on. You are in the top of the list.

Speaking of walking...

I been limping for a week due to .... some nasty things that come along with this alleged allergy to Manganese. So that dark 710 clay is bust for me, can't use it anymore, I hope to achieve a color righteous enough for your pot with a different clay.

Sorce

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I been cleaning the house with a toothbrush and designing my pond the last couple weeks, while keeping my fingers crossed this house purchase goes through, then it's 110%.

I have managed to make so many promises with "bonsai patience" as an unspoken stipulation, I am going to make a thread to pull all these folks out of the woodwork when I have ground to walk on. You are in the top of the list.

Speaking of walking...

I been limping for a week due to .... some nasty things that come along with this alleged allergy to Manganese. So that dark 710 clay is bust for me, can't use it anymore, I hope to achieve a color righteous enough for your pot with a different clay.

Sorce
I hear ya brother. Didn't know of a manganese allergy, figures you'd be the one to have it, or not, that sucks, sorry man.
Being alleged, here's to high hopes that one day it's a misdiagnosis and you can add to your pallet a more diverse playing field.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Did you hit it with Mancozeb?
DSC_6522.JPG
So far I'm happy with the new sprayer. Good coverage for the effort. Hit everything again this evening.
Several of my juniper have a bit of yellowing on the interior with no tip issues now,
so the tip blight if that what it was, is cleared up and pushed through.

DSC_6524.JPG DSC_6526.JPG DSC_6528.JPG

Top Bottom