My procumbens juniper

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
stopped at local nursery on a whim. Connected with owner and chat for awhile. They were a cool local small business, a nice aspect of the hobby. Inquired about buying it sometime and she offered to consign my trees in future...she was working yard, her mom in her 80s running register and two kids inside the office 🇺🇸 🇺🇸 happy 4th, what a life!!

Bought this procumbens...mostly to support them a bit and it looked healthy.

I won't work on this until next year but maybe my first cascade. It is in a quart pot and foliage starting to compact. Over half an inch thick trunk

Need to research more on these but for $13 bought it.
I almost got Russian cypress cascade but it had a break towards base reverse taper

20210702_205529.jpg20210702_205702.jpg

Javaman4373

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bought one like it for $13 at a Home Depot. I found mine was completely root bound in the nursery pot, so I reduced the roots and stuck it in a temporary pot with bonsai soil. I also cleaned up the foliage so I could see the structure and make a plan for its development. I intend to shorten the shorter of the two opposite main branches (the one on the left) and go for a cascade or semi cascade style and a more appropriate pot. I hope I didn't do to much to it all at once, but so far it seems happy.

Attachments

• J. procumbans.jpg
    J. procumbans.jpg
    315.1 KB · Views: 31

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I bought one like it for $13 at a Home Depot. I found mine was completely root bound in the nursery pot, so I reduced the roots and stuck it in a temporary pot with bonsai soil. I also cleaned up the foliage so I could see the structure and make a plan for its development. I intend to shorten the shorter of the two opposite main branches (the one on the left) and go for a cascade or semi cascade style and a more appropriate pot. I hope I didn't do to much to it all at once, but so far it seems happy.
Awesome. And great garden. I'm prob 3ish hrs from you

Attachments

• 20210702_205146.jpg
    20210702_205146.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 20210702_205247.jpg
    20210702_205247.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 24

Javaman4373

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Our garden has grown a lot in the last 3 wks. My wife likes to mulch it with newspapers and grass clippings. By the next year, all traces of the mulch are gone. No tomatoes as big as yours yet.

Attachments

• garden 7:3.jpg
    garden 7:3.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 25

Gert

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Our garden has grown a lot in the last 3 wks. My wife likes to mulch it with newspapers and grass clippings. By the next year, all traces of the mulch are gone. No tomatoes as big as yours yet.
picturesque

Javaman4373

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is a follow up on that Juniper P. n. that I previously mentioned. I kept it in doors over the winter in a basement room at 50 F with a southern exposure in a window. It seemed to do fine and now in March it was starting to bud. I repotted it in a cascade style pot and had previously chopped off the one lateral branches. This what it looks like now. I will let it grow this season and then see about more styling of it.

Attachments

• J p.n. 1.jpg
    J p.n. 1.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 15
  • J p.n. 2.jpg
    J p.n. 2.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 12
  • J p.n. 3.jpg
    J p.n. 3.jpg
    382.5 KB · Views: 13
Top Bottom