My Prunus Mume is begging for your help (again!)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Six months I guess. The tree was full of leaves last summer and I didn't pay enough attention to the wires. My fault.
That was quick I guess the tree is growing at a rapid rate and that’s a good thing.
Can’t wait to see more pictures in the future.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a wonderful little tree @Clicio . I really like the pot youve chosen for it. Once the tree is a bit more mature the combo will be great.

in looking at your cut. I like the direction but I wonder if there is one more cut in there. Looks like you have growth a little lower to cut to?0F9E096C-5DF5-4B2D-88D4-805E8872F3DE.jpeg

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Prunus mume tend to die back when cut, no harm in reducing a stub over stages! Also I spotted a sprout on the top edge, expect there are other options the picture cannot show at this point. Good Work.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
@Hartinez Thanks for your suggestion, very welcome.
But...
As @leatherback suggested before I did the chop, I considered cutting way lower, but I am very much afraid of dying back so I prefer the no-risk option.
@River's Edge Frank, that's exactly my reasoning. Patience and time will tell, for the moment the tree is going to rest and hopefully grow a lot!
Thank you all for your suggestions.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
I really like the pot youve chosen for it. Once the tree is a bit more mature the combo will be great.

It is a Sergio Onodera pot, made specially for this tree. It should be stunning when in the Ume is in bloom and the contrast between the pink flowers/blue rugged pot will be shown.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
But...
As @leatherback suggested before I did the chop, I considered cutting way lower, but I am very much afraid of dying back so I prefer the no-risk option.
@River's Edge Frank, that's exactly my reasoning. Patience and time will tell, for the moment the tree is going to rest and hopefully grow a lot!
Sounds like a great plan!! Wonderful tree.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
But...
You are welcome! just for interest sake there is a good article ( reprint ) in International Bonsai 1982 #1 that presents a plan for cultivating and developing Mume.
Although focussed on propagation, it contains many valuable techniques and tips for development particular to this species and similar species such as quince, dwarf quince and pomegranate. If one goes through the article carefully there is a a wealth of detailed steps included, such as appropriate timing, responses to expect and variations to techniques.
I understand some of the older articles and publications can be difficult to find, but you never know what may be available.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
You are welcome! just for interest sake there is a good article ( reprint ) in International Bonsai 1982 #1 that presents a plan for cultivating and developing Mume.

I would LOVE to have the past issues of the magazine, but as you are aware...
UNAVAILABLE...

Screen Shot 2020-08-19 at 15.25.57.jpg

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
UPDATE:

Two weeks later...

I guess it liked the repot, so I did a minimal check on it:

1-) Exploding new growth.
20200901_095825-Edit.jpg

2-) Backbudding on the trunk.
20200901_100558.jpg

3-) The fruit is getting ripe!
20200901_095857.jpg

4-) Took the chance and cut the first two leaves on every new branch, closest to the trunk, to promote ramification.
20200901_100801.jpg

@leatherback as you can see, doing very well thank you! ;)
Now I will give it time until November. Then prune and wire. Let's see!

Last edited:

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The best ramification response occurs for me on branches with all leaves removed and the apical tip of the branch cut back! When I do this typically each remaining node behind the cut back produces a new lateral branch. Branches with leaves remaining toward the tip of the branch seem to invest the regrowth in the extension of the branch.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
The best ramification response occurs for me on branches with all leaves removed and the apical tip of the branch cut back!

Thanks Frank, but not now in the very beginning of the Spring?
After the tree was hacked and repotted, just two weeks ago?
Poor tree!

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks Frank, but not now in the very beginning of the Spring?
After the tree was hacked and repotted, just two weeks ago?
Poor tree!
My comment was designed to give you added information that will assist in a better response. It has obviously responded from the repot very strongly. You could just try one branch that you do not need to keep for final design if you are uncertain of the strength of the tree! You could also wait a month and then try a variation on branches not being kept for design. Then compare it to the one you removed the two interior leaves from. In your climate the beginning of the growing season, best time to experiment! My suggestion is that on the branches where the apical tip has been cut back and leaves removed is where you will get the best response for lateral branching.
You could also wait and try it next spring. Do what you feel comfortable with, as you know the condition of the tree best.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
You could just try one branch that you do not need to keep for final design if you are uncertain of the strength of the tree! You could also wait a month and then try a variation on branches not being kept for design.

Hey, thanks!
Very good advice, I will try, you're right this is the moment to do it.
Let's see the tree's response, I'll let you know.
Thanks again, @River's Edge !

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
That pot is superb.
It is, isn't it?
Sergio Onodera is a Brazilian pot maker, son a of a Japanese father and an Italian mother, so the guy has the technique and the art. I just live his pots. This one was made specifically for this Mume.

revelup

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
I'm fascinated by the simple fact that you are growing a prunus mume in Brazil. Aren't you in a tropical or sub-tropical zone?

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
I'm fascinated by the simple fact that you are growing a prunus mume in Brazil. Aren't you in a tropical or sub-tropical zone?
Subtropical, yes.
Prunus, maples, pines and quinces.
BRTs, of course. Pitangas and Jaboticabas.
Delonix Regia (Flamboyants), Jacarandás, Bougies and Crape Myrtles, like in Florida.
What is the surprise?
😉

IMG_20200706_122312_597.jpg

revelup

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Clearly I'm showing my lack of knowledge in world geography! You do have a much different average climate and altitude than anywhere in Florida. I'm a little jealous to be honest. Cool tree.

Top Bottom