My Prunus Mume is begging for your help (again!)

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Have you wired the young branches mate?
They are soft and still pliable, thanks!
Yes, I will do it.
Remember those first two leaves I have cut last week? I'm waiting for them to become young shoots and then I will wire them all.
Should I do it earlier?🤔

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These buds will stay buds unless you do a mid-spring trim back. If you do not prune, they will grow branches NEXT YEAR.
I wire the green branches fairly soon in spring.

20190610_76.jpg

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
These buds will stay buds unless you do a mid-spring trim back.

Yeap, I will wire it rather sooner than later.
Thanks for the tip about the first two leaves.
As for the trim back, it will be done. In my experience it grows strongly till mid-november, then the branches and leaves get mature, *and it grows no more* till the leaves fall, end of May (Autumn here).

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
UPDATE:

It's the end of the Spring here and after trimming mid-spring, and pruning the first two leaves on the important branches to promote back budding, mixed conclusions:
The new shoots look healthy and ready to take off, but I couldn't find any back budding from the trimmed leaves axils. I guess they will sprout only next Spring?
@Brian Van Fleet ? @leatherback ?

20201203_110108_copy_964x1023.jpg

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
When you pruned for back budding did you prune the apical tip at the end of the branch to stimulate back budding? In my experience this is the key. Reducing the auxin influence allows cytokinin to promote more lateral growth with new buds.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I guess they will sprout only next Spring?
I have had both. But the main thing I see is that removing the leaves reduces forming of flowerbuds and encourages viable vegatative buds the next spring.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
When the apical tip is pruned at the same time, the result is usually fairly quick. Here is the example from this years experiment. I pruned the leaves and the apical tips on May 24th, the next picture is June 10th. A little over two weeks and you can see the lateral extensions and new leaf growth easily. The plant to compare with the second photo is the one on the left of the original photo. Hope this helps.IMG_1103.jpegIMG_1117.jpeg

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
When you pruned for back budding did you prune the apical tip at the end of the branch to stimulate back budding? In my experience this is the key. Reducing the auxin influence allows cytokinin to promote more lateral growth with new buds.
Thanks, and yes, I did prune the apical tip.
Lets hope for the best! ;)

Top Bottom