My Prunus Mume is begging for your help (again!)

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
The story is I was never really convinced this Ume could stay the way it was when I got it.
Many of you helped me out with good suggestions last year, unfortunately airlayering it is out of question as it is almost impossible with Prunus.
So today I woke up decided to chop it down (it's winter here) after it bloomed like crazy for the past two weeks, and then, to my surprise, I see a plum! (or apricot, it's up to you to decide).
So I didn't chop it after all...
And thought to myself:
One way to make the first segment of the trunk (after the twist) less straight is by tilting it to the right in the next repot.
And maybe lower the whole tree down a little, as there is another almost straight segment up.
So the first question for you is if this seems a good path for this tree.
Second is if a jin looks very weird on a Prunus.
Third, what other suggestions might you give me to make it better looking?

Please follow the pictures below:

1- The flowers (last week)!
01.jpg

2- The fruit (today)!
02.jpg

3- Original front one year ago, backside now:
03.jpg

4-) New front as today (winter here):
04.jpg

5- Proposed chop and new angle:
05.jpg

6-) A virtual of the final trunk line:
07.jpg

Thanks for your patience and help.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
And...
If someone happen to know what is the name of this cultivar I would be very grateful.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Has great shap and the flowers are splendid the color is very vibrant. Would love to hear all about your care and how long you have had it. It’s an amazing bonsai

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Has great shap and the flowers are splendid the color is very vibrant. Would love to hear all about your care and how long you have had it. It’s an amazing bonsai
I have this one for two seasons, I've got also a smaller one, white flowers.
Care is the usual for Prunus; chop/prune/repot after flowering by the end of winter, a flush of growth happens in the spring, pinch a little, wire in the summer, wait for the leaves to curl, wait for the leaves to drop and then...
Flowers again!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Unless specifically going for the contrast which would be pretty flowers around a dog turd looking swirl, I'd leave it long.

Sorce

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Unless specifically going for the contrast which would be pretty flowers around a dog turd looking swirl, I'd leave it long.

Well, even leaving it long, the dog turd twirl will still be there!
That's why there's a thread about the turdiness of the twirl titled "To bury or not to bury" :

But changing the angle of the trunk and maybe twisting it around the pot just a little will help.
But...
Too late, mate.
I have already chopped the top down!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have this one for two seasons, I've got also a smaller one, white flowers.
Care is the usual for Prunus; chop/prune/repot after flowering by the end of winter, a flush of growth happens in the spring, pinch a little, wire in the summer, wait for the leaves to curl, wait for the leaves to drop and then...
Flowers again!
Well thank you. Do you not feed ? Or add supplements? What type of soil ? Wow you make it seem so easy. Lol

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Do you not feed ? Or add supplements? What type of soil ? Wow you make it seem so easy. Lol

Yes, I do feed, heavily mid-spring and regularly throughout the growing season.
High N in Spring, balanced Biogold during the season and 0:10:10 in the fall.
It's a well draining soil, peat+Perlite, lava rock, crushed bricks, small pine bark, small Akadama, all sieved to 3~6mm.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The story is I was never really convinced this Ume could stay the way it was when I got it.
Many of you helped me out with good suggestions last year, unfortunately airlayering it is out of question as it is almost impossible with Prunus.
So today I woke up decided to chop it down (it's winter here) after it bloomed like crazy for the past two weeks, and then, to my surprise, I see a plum! (or apricot, it's up to you to decide).
So I didn't chop it after all...
And thought to myself:
One way to make the first segment of the trunk (after the twist) less straight is by tilting it to the right in the next repot.
And maybe lower the whole tree down a little, as there is another almost straight segment up.
So the first question for you is if this seems a good path for this tree.
Second is if a jin looks very weird on a Prunus.
Third, what other suggestions might you give me to make it better looking?

Please follow the pictures below:

1- The flowers (last week)!
View attachment 318933

2- The fruit (today)!
View attachment 318934

3- Original front one year ago, backside now:
View attachment 318935

4-) New front as today (winter here):
View attachment 318936

5- Proposed chop and new angle:
View attachment 318937

6-) A virtual of the final trunk line:
View attachment 318938

Thanks for your patience and help.
As I study your pictures I cannot help but think how much more interesting the form would appear if it thickened considerably. I would every tempted to plant in larger grow box or the ground for a year or two.Prunus Mume are vigorous when given the right conditions. Extensions can reach several feet in a growing season. The other advantage would be create additional lateral branching on the outside rather than the inside of the curves. The extra extensions would give you the opportunity to use cut back and defoliation to create additional styling choices! you would still have the option to cut back and create taper after this step.
As for the variety, the flowers are similar to my " Kobai " cultivar.

Attachments

• IMG_1047.jpeg
    IMG_1047.jpeg
    57.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
...tempted to plant in larger grow box or the ground for a year or two.
Yes, it is a good suggestion. I was thinking grow box, easier for me than the ground, thanks.

As for the variety, the flowers are similar to my " Kobai " cultivar.
Oh yes, quite similar! Thank you very much!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yes, I do feed, heavily mid-spring and regularly throughout the growing season.
High N in Spring, balanced Biogold during the season and 0:10:10 in the fall.
It's a well draining soil, peat+Perlite, lava rock, crushed bricks, small pine bark, small Akadama, all sieved to 3~6mm.
Sounds a lot like I have been doing. I hope my flowers look as nice as yours. How did you make out with the pruning? Or are you waiting ? I think your tree is awesome and if your not please with it I would be willing to take it off your hands.
I did add trace element Frits today and plan on adding kelp once ever two weeks.
Michael

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
I think your tree is awesome and if your not please with it I would be willing to take it off your hands.

Thanks for the offer, but I will keep it for the moment. Yes, I have chopped it where I intended and repotted it changing the angle.
It is resting now, in the shade and ready for the Spring growth, let us see how it goes.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks for the offer, but I will keep it for the moment. Yes, I have chopped it where I intended and repotted it changing the angle.
It is resting now, in the shade and ready for the Spring growth, let us see how it goes.
I am so looking forward to seeing your progress. I plan on getting a few more but want all different colors. Yours pink/whit and yellow. I love prunus and I have plenty of space for them.
Michael

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Well, repotted in a new angle, pruned in its height, and... Spring buds elongating.
I will have to get rid of the wire scars from last summer, didn't check on time.
But we have good news:

The tree as it is today, mid-August 2020:
final_baixa.jpg

New growth:
20200818_160342.jpg

Late flower blooming! Why so late?
HORRIBLE wire scars. I wonder if they will go if I let this branchlet grow?
20200818_160354.jpg

And at the same time, the fruit!
Nice, isn't it?
20200818_160403.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Well, repotted in a new angle, pruned in its height, and... Spring buds elongating.
I will have to get rid of the wire scars from last summer, didn't check on time.
But we have good news:

The tree as it is today, mid-August 2020:
View attachment 323693

New growth:
View attachment 323697

Late flower blooming! Why so late?
HORRIBLE wire scars. I wonder if they will go if I let this branchlet grow?
View attachment 323698

And at the same time, the fruit!
Nice, isn't it?
View attachment 323699
Thinks that’s amazing that you got fruit. How long did it take for that branch to get wire scares ?

Top Bottom